Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Z4 35is or 335is or M3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661178)

Bimmagirl 11-29-2012 10:24 AM

Z4 35is or 335is or M3

I currently drive a 3281cab and I want to step up, visually and engine wise, to another BMW convertible. I do not plan to race the car. I enjoy cruising through mountains and along long, windy roads. I live in Southwestern Ontario where we have moderate winters. I do not want to buy a winter beater. This will be my only car. I love the look of the Z4 but I'm told it's not a winter car. It sits too low. I was told the M3 is also not suitable for winter, even with winter tires, as it's too powerful. It seems like I'm being pointed towards the 335is but I'm not persuaded that it looks sufficiently different from my current car. What are your thoughts?

Signed,
Just a girl who loves a really nice ride with the top down and good music

PS. Are there any other women on Bimmerfest? Let me hear from you as well please.

carsbillz4 11-29-2012 11:21 AM

I own a 335 and a Z4 and it depends what I am doing that day. We drove to Colorado in the 335 as we ytook our dog with us. If we did have the dog, I would have all season tires or a set of winter tires and spin through the Rockies in the Z4. To me it is not an issue unless you hit a blizzard or you are driving daily in 10+ inches of the white stuff. I know people who drive their M3's all year in Colorado.

rdkind62 11-29-2012 12:22 PM

It is true that the 335 and 328 are virtually identical when it comes to looks, but I think that is a beautiful look and going with the 335 wouldn't be a bad choice. I had a similar decision a while back and went from a 328 to the Z4 because I didn't want to get a similar looking car two times in a row. I am in my first winter with my Z so I can't tell you how it handles in the snow, but I have put on a full set of winter tires to help get me through the winter here in CO. If you like the idea of a beautiful top down driving car I don't think you can go wrong with the Z4.

gekisai29 11-29-2012 07:33 PM

making the same switch to a z4 from328i cab for same reasons & awaiting delivery. btw, which winter tires did you choose?

fl_cyclist 11-30-2012 05:21 AM

I went from a 335i to a X3 to a Z4. I can't comment on winter as I don't know what that is anymore but moving from either a 328/335/M3 to the Z4 will also require that you know that you will lose a lot of space. The Z4 is a great car and I love my Z435is but I would not have it if the wife did not have a Q5 for managing things like trips to the airport with more than a carry on, shopping at Costo and other activities that require cargo space. So make sure you take that into consideration along with the fact you will never drive with more than one passenger.

rdkind62 11-30-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekisai29 (Post 7222350)
making the same switch to a z4 from328i cab for same reasons & awaiting delivery. btw, which winter tires did you choose?

I went with a full set of Falken winter tires in the same size as the summer tires.

Bimmagirl 11-30-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_cyclist (Post 7222786)
I went from a 335i to a X3 to a Z4. I can't comment on winter as I don't know what that is anymore but moving from either a 328/335/M3 to the Z4 will also require that you know that you will lose a lot of space. The Z4 is a great car and I love my Z435is but I would not have it if the wife did not have a Q5 for managing things like trips to the airport with more than a carry on, shopping at Costo and other activities that require cargo space. So make sure you take that into consideration along with the fact you will never drive with more than one passenger.

You're absolutely right about the lack of space in a Z4. I was at a delearship yesterday and took a good hard look at one. I was shocked at how little space there was. I would definately need a 2nd car if I got one.

Bimmagirl 11-30-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekisai29 (Post 7222350)

I saw a 335is on the road today. Looked nice but I'm still thinking "meh, that's the car I have now." It did have a loud roar when it took off though. I'll look at it when I go to the dealer tomorrow. Maybe what I'll ask them to do is to place the 335is next to mine so that I can see the differences, if any.

Bimmagirl 11-30-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdkind62 (Post 7221482)
It is true that the 335 and 328 are virtually identical when it comes to looks, but I think that is a beautiful look and going with the 335 wouldn't be a bad choice. I had a similar decision a while back and went from a 328 to the Z4 because I didn't want to get a similar looking car two times in a row. I am in my first winter with my Z so I can't tell you how it handles in the snow, but I have put on a full set of winter tires to help get me through the winter here in CO. If you like the idea of a beautiful top down driving car I don't think you can go wrong with the Z4.

The red on black is beautiful! Love it. I currently have the reverse - black on red.

Bimmagirl 11-30-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carsbillz4 (Post 7221357)
I own a 335 and a Z4 and it depends what I am doing that day. We drove to Colorado in the 335 as we ytook our dog with us. If we did have the dog, I would have all season tires or a set of winter tires and spin through the Rockies in the Z4. To me it is not an issue unless you hit a blizzard or you are driving daily in 10+ inches of the white stuff. I know people who drive their M3's all year in Colorado.

Carsbillz4, everybody here (SW Ontario), including the sales rep at BMW tells me that the Z4 would not work for our winters. That is disappointing as it is a good looking car. Sigh.

Bimmagirl 11-30-2012 08:03 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm off to test drive them all tomorrow. Wish me luck.

BROWNBEAR58 12-04-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_cyclist (Post 7222786)
i went from a 335i to a x3 to a z4. I can't comment on winter as i don't know what that is anymore but moving from either a 328/335/m3 to the z4 will also require that you know that you will lose a lot of space. The z4 is a great car and i love my z435is but i would not have it if the wife did not have a q5 for managing things like trips to the airport with more than a carry on, shopping at costo and other activities that require cargo space. So make sure you take that into consideration along with the fact you will never drive with more than one passenger.

we have a z4 35is and a lexus es350 and that is a good combo if you want to have fun and carrry luggage on a trip, just take the lex and use the z for fun

Bimmagirl 12-04-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWNBEAR58 (Post 7230335)
we have a z4 35is and a lexus es350 and that is a good combo if you want to have fun and carrry luggage on a trip, just take the lex and use the z for fun

I saw the Z4, I agree with the both of you, I'd definately need a 2nd car.

Bimmagirl 12-04-2012 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone. I saw all 3 last Saturday. I've decided on the M3. The dealer offered me peanuts for my 328i, so I've decided to keep it as my 2nd car.