Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Manual Windows to Power Windows Conversion (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661271)

pjoa09 11-29-2012 06:44 PM

Manual Windows to Power Windows Conversion

Do you think it is possible?

I am thinking about buying one with manual windows and I want to know if it's possible to convert or manual windows wouldn't be as bad as it sounds.

downhiller 11-29-2012 07:37 PM

it can be done. some decent electrical work

pjoa09 11-29-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 7222359)
it can be done. some decent electrical work

Is it easier than fixing some rust patches?

When did you get a Ducati? Is it fun riding? Always wanted to get a bike.

Nick323 11-29-2012 11:54 PM

Bike in Thailand

You have some great ridin country in Thailand :thumbup:
Since this is a BMW forum I assume you want to buy that brand ;)
I'd rather start of with smething smaller before your family has to pay hospital/funeral costs :yikes:

Getting back to this thread: I'd rather install Electrical windows, than do any bodywork :eeps:
Simply because I am useless at that :(
You should know what your forté is :dunno:

pjoa09 11-30-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7222632)
You have some great ridin country in Thailand :thumbup:
Since this is a BMW forum I assume you want to buy that brand ;)
I'd rather start of with smething smaller before your family has to pay hospital/funeral costs :yikes:

Getting back to this thread: I'd rather install Electrical windows, than do any bodywork :eeps:

Yeah, that is why it is a want to and I never did, lol.

I have very little experience with working on cars as of yet. I hope to learn something but I'd rather fix a power window than build one as a first job.

SWISS 11-30-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjoa09 (Post 7222756)
Yeah, that is why it is a want to and I never did, lol.

I have very little experience with working on cars as of yet. I hope to learn something but I'd rather fix a power window than build one as a first job.

Stick with that thought premise and you will be fine. :thumbup:

As for the conversion I would prefer to have a donor car with all the components to swap over so you can see where the wires tap into the mass e box connector under the driver knee bolster.

threadjack I got a bike last week too! 07 zzr 600 :eeps:

_Ethrty-Andy_ 11-30-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7222632)

Great advice

downhiller 11-30-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjoa09 (Post 7222458)
Is it easier than fixing some rust patches?

When did you get a Ducati? Is it fun riding? Always wanted to get a bike.

i got my duc in august. and its a blast. after i changed the exhaust last month i was out and hit a oil spot and did a mini drift. didnt dump the bike, just enough to ruin a pair of shorts.

its 50/50 for me. i rather do the body work because i hate dealing with electrical. however, if the rust is to the point of replacing full panels, id just change the mechanisms

Nick323 12-03-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

didnt dump the bike, just enough to ruin a pair of shorts.
Did you not mean to say didnt dump the bike, just enough to soil a pair of shorts :rofl:

cmac2012 12-03-2012 11:40 AM

I've never liked working on windows as the space is tight. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I wouldn't attempt the power window conversion, there's a lot you'd have to get right to end up with a better arrangement than the crank windows.

downhiller 12-03-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick323 (Post 7227828)
Did you not mean to say didnt dump the bike, just enough to soil a pair of shorts :rofl:

same thing.

pjoa09 12-03-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 7224184)
i got my duc in august. and its a blast. after i changed the exhaust last month i was out and hit a oil spot and did a mini drift. didnt dump the bike, just enough to ruin a pair of shorts.

its 50/50 for me. i rather do the body work because i hate dealing with electrical. however, if the rust is to the point of replacing full panels, id just change the mechanisms

How enjoyable is it in comparison to the E30? Is it enjoyable or just really frightening? I got a lot of traffic where I live and I just feel like splitting lanes. The thought of riding gear and health insurance prevents me.

@cmac2012 Just thinking about the work sort of wears me out. Quite a few would say it's just not worth the hassle on R3V. Especially those who converted from power to manual.

cmac2012 12-03-2012 09:31 PM

I have a Mercedes 300SD, 5 cyl diesel, auto. All they came with was auto. Some 5 cylinder-o-philes have adapted the 4 sp manual from the 240D of the era, the bell housing is similar, IINM. If I was rich and eccentric, I might spend major bank to have one built but holy crap, that would be hard to pull off in a home shop. Just getting the clutch pedal right would be a challenge. It's an awkward place to work, even with the seat out. Just the work to attach a framework to support the hinge of the clutch pedal would be a major chore. Maybe I'm getting too old, not sure.