Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask-A-Dealer (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   buying Non-CPO, but dealer will CPO for $$$$ (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661278)

abbott 11-29-2012 07:06 PM

buying Non-CPO, but dealer will CPO for $$$$

A BMW dealer GM handled my deal for a used 2011 X5 35d with 17k miles with a clean history. Down payment paid, signing on Saturday.

I asked if they could CPO the vehicle for me, and the GM said he would for $3k-$4k.

Considering the opportunity for CPO option, Maintenance Program option, Extended Warranty option, etc., is the Platinum BMW EVP the best warranty to pick? :dunno:

I do plan on owning the car past the standard warranty.

ard 11-30-2012 08:36 PM

First, this is NOT sanctioned by BMW. You risk getting the dealership in trouble, and no dealer here will help. (SOmebody may snitch..)

At 3-4k the CPO isnt worth it. Contact Daniel at Pacific BMW and ask what a Platinum or Gold plan will cost...

Skip the maintenace plan- overpriced for what you get. Find an indy.

GL

A

abbott 11-30-2012 10:10 PM

sounds about right. thanks for the clarification and tip! :-)

Ace535i 12-01-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7224368)
First, this is NOT sanctioned by BMW. You risk getting the dealership in trouble, and no dealer here will help. (SOmebody may snitch..)

At 3-4k the CPO isnt worth it. Contact Daniel at Pacific BMW and ask what a Platinum or Gold plan will cost...

Skip the maintenace plan- overpriced for what you get. Find an indy.

GL

A

Why do you think the car was not CPO eligible?

ard 12-01-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace535i (Post 7224549)
Why do you think the car was not CPO eligible?

didnt say that.

the 'rules' are that the dealer is supposed to make a CPO decision BEFORE putting the car on the sales floor. A cpo is supposed to be an enticement to buy, not an option a buyer can add. BMWNA has various tools to enforce this, and dealers can get into trouble....

I've been able to work out all kinds of things with people at car dealerships, but I make it clear that I am a trusted party in the process- getting stuff covered under warranty; brokering a non-standard transaction, etc. If they think their name will be published on the internet, you will get a vary narrow party line.

A

Ace535i 12-01-2012 09:54 AM

I am curious why the dealership did not CPO the vehicle at the start.

ddk632 12-01-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7225018)
didnt say that.

the 'rules' are that the dealer is supposed to make a CPO decision BEFORE putting the car on the sales floor. A cpo is supposed to be an enticement to buy, not an option a buyer can add. BMWNA has various tools to enforce this, and dealers can get into trouble....

I've been able to work out all kinds of things with people at car dealerships, but I make it clear that I am a trusted party in the process- getting stuff covered under warranty; brokering a non-standard transaction, etc. If they think their name will be published on the internet, you will get a vary narrow party line.

A

I am curious about this. On various BMW forums I've seen people talking about buying out their lease at the end as a CPO and getting the CPO warranty. The rules above would sort of preclude this, would they not? Or are different rules applied to a lease buyout? Or is it just not possible to CPO your own lease buyout?

Orient330iNYC 12-01-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddk632 (Post 7225112)
I am curious about this. On various BMW forums I've seen people talking about buying out their lease at the end as a CPO and getting the CPO warranty. The rules above would sort of preclude this, would they not? Or are different rules applied to a lease buyout? Or is it just not possible to CPO your own lease buyout?

they arent supposed to. bmw used to look the other way when they would do this in the past, but has been taking a much harder line on lease buyout cpo flips.

usually a gold or platinum extended warranty costs the same as cpo. 3-4k is in the ballpark for a platinum plan.

ard 12-01-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 7225208)
they arent supposed to. bmw used to look the other way when they would do this in the past, but has been taking a much harder line on lease buyout cpo flips.

usually a gold or platinum extended warranty costs the same as cpo. 3-4k is in the ballpark for a platinum plan.

Precisely.

In the past some dealers would semi-openly call it their "refinance" plan.

In the past, the dealer could buy the car for whatever BMWFS quoted, CPO it and sell it back to the original lessee... Now BMWFS wants to know "is this a lessee who is buying it?" and if yes, the buyout price to the dealer is higher than if the dealer is putting it on the sales floor. BMW is reaching into the deal to control prices, hence more controls on who is getting a CPO.

ddk632 12-01-2012 03:05 PM

I see. I'll have to do some research into the gold/platinum warranty. I may decide to buy out my next lease but the thought of having another BMW out of warranty is not that exciting to me :D

Thanks for your responses, guys.