Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   F30 3 Series BMW M Performance Parts and BMW Accessories: Residual Values (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661404)

tim330i 11-30-2012 12:45 PM

F30 3 Series BMW M Performance Parts and BMW Accessories: Residual Values

F30 3 Series BMW M Performance Parts and BMW Accessories: Residual Values

Right on the heals of the 2012 F30 3 series launch BMW also released a new line of performance oriented accessories. The catalog of performance parts was developed along side the F30 by BMW M so the parts are aptly named BMW M Performance Parts. You can think of M Performance Parts as OEM tuning parts, and in many cases BMW took cues from the aftermarket tuning companies about what they should build.

BMW M Performance F30 Catalog

If you are leasing your F30 3 series no one wants to return their lease with parts they paid extra for while getting nothing in return. To resolve this BMW Financial Services has assigned residual values to M Performance parts as well as standard BMW Accessories. There are strict guidelines to get residual value so if you're looking to lease an F30 with M Performance Parts make sure you follow the steps listed below.

Guidelines for Residualizable M Performance parts and BMW Accessories
  • All residualizable accessories must be installed at a BMW Center or be Port-installed.
    • Center-installed accessories must be accompanied by a detailed Repair Order signed by the customer.
    • Port-installed accessories must be accompanied by the add-on Monroney label showing which items were installed and will receive the same residual adders
  • The specified number of components (as detailed in the chart) must be present to receive credit for the package. Partial packages not meeting the minimum number of components will not receive credit for the package.
  • All stand-alone accessories, package components, and Complete Wheel and Tire Sets must remain on the vehicle at the end of term. They must also stay with the vehicle if it is consigned to auction.

Have your BMW M Performance Parts Port Installed

BMW M Performance Parts and BMW Accessory Residual MSRP Adder Chart

BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Exterior Appearance "Package" - 4 of the 6 components must be installed - $500
  • BMW Performance Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser
  • BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Spoiler
  • BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
  • BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Front Splitter Attachments
  • BMW Performance Black Kidney Grill
  • BMW Performance Accent Stripes
BMW Performance Interior Appearance "Package" - 4 of the 7 components must be installed - $500
  • BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Dash/Door/Console Trim
  • BMW Shift Knob (Man. Trans.) / Gear Selector (Auto Trans.)
  • BMW Performance Short Shift Kit
  • BMW Performance Handbrake Cover
  • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
  • Aluminum Pedals and Footrest
  • Door Sill Strip
BMW Performance Dynamics "Package" - 3 of the 5 components must be installed - $500
  • BMW Performance Brake Kit
  • BMW Performance Engine Strut Brace (Carbon or Aluminum)
  • BMW Performance Suspension
  • BMW Performance Air Intake
  • BMW Performance Short Shift Kit
BMW Performance Tuning "Package" 1 - All components - $500
  • BMW Performance Version 1 Tuning Kit
  • BMW Performance Exhaust System
BMW Performance Tuning "Package" 2 - all components - $1000
  • BMW Performance Version 2 Tuning Kit
  • BMW Performance Exhaust System
BMW Performance Exhaust System (w/o Tuning Kit) - $250

Rear Seat Entertainment - Only permanently mounted systems - $750

Complete Wheel & Tire Sets (20" or larger) - including M Performance styles - $2,000
  • MUST BE SIZE UPGRADE OVER FACTORY WHEELS
Complete Wheel & Tire Sets (19") - including M Performance styles - $1500
Complete Wheel & Tire Sets (18") - including M Performance styles - $1000
Wheel Sets (Using Factory Tires) - including M Performance styles - $550
  • This adder is for wheels that are NOT a size upgrade over factory wheels
iPod Interface Kit - $200

SIRIUS Satellite Radio - $250

akaMomo 11-30-2012 01:14 PM

To be clear, for a lease:

Adding the performance exhaust kit (as an example) at the VPC is a cost of $1335. Maybe one negotiates closer to invoice but let's say its $1335 paid for this argument.

MSRP goes up $1335. Capitalized cost increases by amount paid ($1335 or discounted price). But residual only goes up by $250, right? (i.e. about 19% residual value for the part.)

Its better than zero but these still seem like pretty hard hits on the depreciation (and therefore make more sense for purchases).

We've always been told mods don't add much value so I suppose it makes sense. Its tough though when adding factory packages that retain at the same residual rate as vehicle.

Please correct me if I am wrong! And THANK YOU for posting this, really great job.

justinnum1 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

so you take that money off the price of the option?

performance exhuast gets 400 resdualized. jon and my dealer both said that...

av98 11-30-2012 02:12 PM

Great list, thanks for putting it up. :)

tim330i 11-30-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7223746)
so you take that money off the price of the option?

performance exhuast gets 400 resdualized. jon and my dealer both said that...

Maybe there is an updated sheet? I got the above values from a dealer sheet that clearly lists the exhaust as $250.

EDIT - I'm checking to see if there are updated values.

Have a good weekend,
Tim

akaMomo 11-30-2012 02:17 PM

Is anyone sharing the invoice pricing on the VPC stuff?

tim330i 11-30-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akaMomo (Post 7223806)
Is anyone sharing the invoice pricing on the VPC stuff?

Not that I've seen.

akaMomo 11-30-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7223813)
Not that I've seen.

I have one order that shows black grills going for $126 invoice vs $173 MSRP. It might be interesting to load up and order to have a look if someone would bother.

Or is the thought from otherwise invoice-plus-capable CA's that accessories go for list?

The thing is that with these items losing 80% of their value it might be good not to pay MSRP on them...

justinnum1 11-30-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7223799)
Maybe there is an updated sheet? I got the above values from a dealer sheet that clearly lists the exhaust as $250.

EDIT - I'm checking to see if there are updated values.

Have a good weekend,
Tim

does that mean the exhaust would cost $250(250/36months) if you lease?

akaMomo 11-30-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7223825)
does that mean the exhaust would cost $250(250/36months) if you lease?

No, the opposite - ($1335-($400 or $250))*interest)/number of payments

The final retained value is $400 (or $250, undecided). You have to pay all of that depreciation over the lease. "Good" news is if you buy car after lease you've already paid for it I suppose. The residual (i.e. purchase price) is only that $400 higher.

I played with adding exhaust at MSRP with 400 residual, using base MF with one add'l security it added $30/mo

justinnum1 11-30-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akaMomo (Post 7223828)
No, the opposite - ($1335-($400 or $250))*interest)/number of payments

The final retained value is $400 (or $250, undecided). You have to pay all of that depreciation over the lease. "Good" news is if you buy car after lease you've already paid for it I suppose. The residual (i.e. purchase price) is only that $400 higher.

I played with adding exhaust at MSRP with 400 residual, using base MF with one add'l security it added $30/mo

ok cool, thats how my deal worked...i thought they changed it lol.

so now the question is, since i already took delivery of my car, am i able to get the PPK residualized somehow?

akaMomo 11-30-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7223846)
ok cool, thats how my deal worked...i thought they changed it lol.

so now the question is, since i already took delivery of my car, am i able to get the PPK residualized somehow?

I'll let a CA tell you officially but once you sign, the deal is set. Until then you can walk. After, it is what it is. Sorry. It seems the residual is so low its not like it would matter too much in the end vs. the cost of the item.

Axxlrod 11-30-2012 02:52 PM

For leased vehicles, it seems you would be better off just buying the exhaust after you take delivery of the car, and then removing it right before you return the car and then selling the exhaust privately for much much more than $400. No?

akaMomo 11-30-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 7223873)
For leased vehicles, it seems you would be better off just buying the exhaust after you take delivery of the car, and then removing it right before you return the car and then selling the exhaust privately for much much more than $400. No?

I'm thinking same re wheels (I think that's covered above).

How much work (in dollars) to swap an exhaust? I'm clearly clueless re that kind of stuff. But the hit is so hard you are probably right.

I would love painted calipers but the upgraded brakes don't make sense on a lease (to me at least).

All the reason why you hear mods listed in the pro column when comparing buying to not leasing. There is a huge thread going re that already though.

Axxlrod 11-30-2012 03:54 PM

Where are the details are the two tuning packages?

For 328 also or just for 335?

tim330i 12-01-2012 07:08 AM

The exhaust MSRP adder value has been moved down from $400 to $250 according to my sources. So the numbers I posted are correct.

If you don't mind doing a bit of extra leg work adding the exhaust (or any of the other parts) on your own or outside of the lease and then removing them before turn in seems like the most economical way to do it.

Tim