Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   89 E30 with M20 intermittent misfire (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661440)

HicksLJames 11-30-2012 06:06 PM

89 E30 with M20 intermittent misfire

Hey everyone my car is been having some problems lately... Mostly when Im crusing on the freeway or under high load the car misses one cylinder. I pulled the car around and started to do some diagnostics. I started at the Ign Coil and ohmed the primary and secondary circuits .53 and 6100 ohms which is normal. I pulled the spark plugs (E3's which could be the problem IMO:thumbdwn:) wires (almost 0 ohms on all which is normal), and the rotor (cleaned the posts up). I put it all back together and test drove it. The problem was still there but not as apparent... :( The problem feels like a ign cut because its so sudden and not just a loss off power like a fuel cut problem. Im going to buy some NGK-R's on Monday to see if its those ****ty plugs but other than that Im at my wits end and would appreciate and input or help. Thanks!!!

downhiller 11-30-2012 07:33 PM

e3 plugs a problem? you will be the first i hear that from. have you checked the crank sensor yet?

SWISS 11-30-2012 07:50 PM

M20's like old school copper core plugs...

WickedFast.Inc 11-30-2012 07:54 PM

Check for spark at each plug +1 on crank sensor check fuel pressures fuel pressure reg

Wicked Fast Entertainment

BMWFatherFigure 12-01-2012 07:03 AM

If it only misses one cylinder do a compression and leak down test. Is a plug lead shorting out?

Newman271 12-01-2012 11:54 AM

please don't buy ngk's.. you will notice things will get worse.

downhiller 12-01-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newman271 (Post 7225102)
please don't buy ngk's.. you will notice things will get worse.

i dont see any logic in that statement. the only 2 plugs i ran where the u-power ngk and u-groove denso. those are by far 2 of the best companies for spark plugs.

_Ethrty-Andy_ 12-01-2012 06:34 PM

spark plug leads should be about 5kOhms, not 0 ohms. Im going to call you out and say you havent tested those.

downhiller 12-02-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7225673)
spark plug leads should be about 5kOhms, not 0 ohms. Im going to call you out and say you havent tested those.

maybe he ran continuity instead of ohms.

HicksLJames 12-03-2012 02:04 AM

Hey Guys! So I tossed those sad excuses of spark plugs and put is some NGK-R's and test drove it. MUCH better but problem still apparent. after a second of pondering I had a theory. I bought the car used and I am damn sure that the previous owner did have the gall to bite the bullet and buy some damn spark plug wires... so I pulled the loom off the valve cover and cracked that sucker open.. ALAS!!!!! carbon tracks from the old plug wires crossfiring under heavy loads! so I manned up and just dropped the hundred for the wires and installed them. Test drove the car and now its running like a champ! now I gotta tackle the oil in on the filter and in the intake boot, intake manifold and such but thats not on the top of my list. Im thinking CCV and I plan on replacing the hose after I get paid tomorrow. And also I have a 1222 DTC for the O2 sensor. and I understand that the O2 sensor just measures oxygen and something can cause the Rich/Lean code to appear I just want a second opinion on wether it would be a good idea to start at the O2 and just get it outta the way so if its something else I can move on. Or maybe a wideband...... hmmmmmmmm and advice would be much appreciated -M POWER-

HicksLJames 12-03-2012 11:09 AM

And whatever specification that I got for the spark plug wires was off of AllData. hmmm maybe they made a mistake :dunno:

downhiller 12-03-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

This wire typically has a resistance of 3,000 to 20,000 ohms /ft. depending on the manufacturer.
http://www.auroraelectronics.com/Und...ug%20Wires.htm

also, you cant blame the spark plugs when the wires were shot. grant it e3s may not be the best choice for the e30s, but they still out perform alot of spark plugs. its a proven fact but many second hand testing companies.

_Ethrty-Andy_ 12-03-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ (Post 7225673)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HicksLJames (Post 7228342)
And whatever specification that I got for the spark plug wires was off of AllData. hmmm maybe they made a mistake :dunno:

Sorry, just reread that, i sound like a bit of a **** there, i didnt mean to!
You should be able to read the resistance on the side of the lead if they are genuine/oem leads in there currently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HicksLJames (Post 7227763)
now I gotta tackle the oil in on the filter and in the intake boot, intake manifold and such but thats not on the top of my list. Im thinking CCV and I plan on replacing the hose after I get paid tomorrow. And also I have a 1222 DTC for the O2 sensor. and I understand that the O2 sensor just measures oxygen and something can cause the Rich/Lean code to appear I just want a second opinion on wether it would be a good idea to start at the O2 and just get it outta the way so if its something else I can move on. Or maybe a wideband...... hmmmmmmmm and advice would be much appreciated -M POWER-

I think i missed something, i tried reading above again but alas no, what do you want us to diagnose? :thumbup:

HicksLJames 12-04-2012 04:16 PM

well the new plugs and wires helped alot. the inly reson I got the E3s was becuase they didnt have NGK plugs at the time so I got them pretty cheap they just dont work for me I guess. My E30 does have a pretty terrible idle and it throws that 1222 code whenever it is idling at a stop. after I take off the weak idle goes away and the car runs like a champ. I have heard of pulling off my Idle Control Valve and giving it a good cleaning. I also have oil being pulled into my intake. theres oil on my air filter and all up in my throttle body and everywhere. First thuing that comes to mind is PCV but I just wanted to get some second opinions on what it could be. Im not trying to shotgun parts into the thing....

downhiller 12-04-2012 06:13 PM

oil in the intake, too much bypass gases. which on these cars tends to lead to bad rings. and if i remember correctly, these do not have a pcv. there is a tube that goes from the underside of the intake to just above the oil pan.

HicksLJames 12-10-2012 02:31 PM

Eureka! Crank Sensor CAKED with gunk. Cleaned it up put it back. No more misfire, O2 code, and it idles like its supposed to now =D

WickedFast.Inc 12-10-2012 06:05 PM

+10 for another solved

Wicked Fast Entertainment