Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Exhaust cut-out (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661460)

e34_spangler 11-30-2012 07:51 PM

Exhaust cut-out
 
I got a magnaflow mutter on right now and I want even louder and I was looking at exhaust cutout so I can turn it on off basically where would be the best place to put it? I wasn't sure I wanna go completely straight pipe would putting it between the cats and res? Make any sense?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

e34_spangler 12-03-2012 08:47 AM

Anyone any advice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

BMWFatherFigure 12-04-2012 09:28 AM

Mufflers with volume control (internal bypass) are available - google it.

e34_spangler 12-04-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure (Post 7230326)
Mufflers with volume control (internal bypass) are available - google it.

They look so nice but I dont got that kinda money to throw around

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

MySatinDoll 12-05-2012 12:47 AM

Meh. Truth be told. If volume is what you're after. Just delete the resonator.
I had it done. IMO that's your best bet for louder exhaust note.

Then again my car had nothing but a x pipe connected to glasspack when I bought it.
(Had to pass emissions... needed longer piping for the sniffer) But I'm over it.

If your want to save some coin and can wait.
You can have mine for the lo low.
I'm going to boost my car in the next few weeks (finally) and have no use for it when I do.

e34_spangler 12-05-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySatinDoll (Post 7231808)
Meh. Truth be told. If volume is what you're after. Just delete the resonator.
I had it done. IMO that's your best bet for louder exhaust note.

Then again my car had nothing but a x pipe connected to glasspack when I bought it.
(Had to pass emissions... needed longer piping for the sniffer) But I'm over it.

If your want to save some coin and can wait.
You can have mine for the lo low.
I'm going to boost my car in the next few weeks (finally) and have no use for it when I do.

Wait so if I delete the res. I think in pa there's no way I'd pass emmisons

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

BMR_LVR 12-05-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e34_spangler (Post 7231896)
Wait so if I delete the res. I think in pa there's no way I'd pass emmisons

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

I don't think that the resonator has any emmissions purpose. I think that is only the catalytic converter. So removing the resonator should not affect passing emissions, again just to the best of my knowledge. Someone here may correct me on this.

To my understanding, it is used in quieting the exhaust. I have read where others have deleted the resonator and had a bad drone in the car at certain rpms.

MySatinDoll 12-05-2012 08:28 AM

No the resonator has nothing to do with emissions.

Correct the resonator tones down the exhaust note before the muffler/ silencer.
Depending on where you live cats are necessary for emissions.

I bought my car from Alabama and had to get it to pass GA emissions.
So I bought a magnaflow hi flow dual pipe cat.
Relocated the glasspack to the tail end and ran piping from the cat back.

If you do it to your car you'll be fine with emissions. My car passed NJ emissions with flying colors.

e34_spangler 12-05-2012 02:56 PM

K ill look into my options thanks for the info guys

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

e34_spangler 12-21-2012 01:06 PM

I ended up getting my resanator cut out and I already have a magnaflow muffler on it sounds pretty good I think

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms