Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Going to buy this weekend or on Monday - need help! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661575)

RobertaZ 12-01-2012 12:32 PM

Going to buy this weekend or on Monday - need help!
 
I can pick up a new 2012 328i Coupe with M Sport suspension for the same price as a new 2013 328i Sport Line with sport suspension.

Has anyone driven and compared these two vehicles (2012 or 2013s)? I was blown away by the cornering and handling ability of the Coupe and wanted to know if a Sport Line with its sport suspension option would have comparable ride and handling as the Coupe. I know that the engines are different, but I'm only interested in opinions on the handling and ride. There's only one Coupe left and so I have to decide ASAP.

Thanks!

RobertaZ

boltjaM3s 12-01-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7225272)
I can pick up a new 2012 328i Coupe with M Sport suspension for the same price as a new 2013 328i Sport Line with sport suspension.

Has anyone driven and compared these two vehicles (2012 or 2013s)? I was blown away by the cornering and handling ability of the Coupe and wanted to know if a Sport Line with its sport suspension option would have comparable ride and handling as the Coupe. I know that the engines are different, but I'm only interested in opinions on the handling and ride. There's only one Coupe left and so I have to decide ASAP.

Thanks!

RobertaZ

The cars handle very similarly though the Sedan is larger.

Be advised that this is the very last year of the Coupe which first arrived in 2006, so instead of buying in the 1st calendar year of the new Sedan bodystyle you'd be buying the 7th calendar year of the old bodystyle. Come Spring, the new version of the Coupe will hit the streets and you'll be driving a car that's already obsolete from a design perspective.

BJ

RobertaZ 12-01-2012 02:34 PM

Is the 2013 the last year for the old body style, or is it the 2012?

Thanks for the help!

RobertaZ

Seff5677 12-01-2012 02:58 PM

it's 2012,

2013 is the new look

RobertaZ 12-01-2012 05:44 PM

OK. Thanks. No wonder the 2012 was discounted by $5,000.

I'll order the 2013 Sport Line with sport suspension.


RobertaZ

mr_clueless 12-01-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7225464)
Is the 2013 the last year for the old body style, or is it the 2012?

Thanks for the help!

RobertaZ

Are you asking about coupes or sedans?

For sedans, the F30 (new body style) was introduced for MY2012. MY2013, which is currently selling, is the second year.

For coupes, the F32 (new body style) will probably be introduced as a MY2014. MY2013 is currently on sale and is the E92 (old style).

There is going to be a quite a difference in handling between the E92 (coupe) and F30 (sedan) because of changes to the steering, suspension, and tires. Don't order something without first driving it.

mr_clueless 12-01-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seff5677 (Post 7225494)
it's 2012,

2013 is the new look

Wrong...MY2014 will have the new look.

RobertaZ 12-02-2012 01:04 PM

OK then.....so if I buy the 2012 Coupe, I'll have a current body style for two car years. I will test drive the Sport Line with sport suspension tomorrow afternoon and it will hopefully make me smile as well.

Decisions, decisions.....

R

mr_clueless 12-02-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7226818)
OK then.....so if I buy the 2012 Coupe, I'll have a current body style for two car years. I will test drive the Sport Line with sport suspension tomorrow afternoon and it will hopefully make me smile as well.

Decisions, decisions.....

R

MY2014 (new coupe style) is expected by summer next year, so you would have a current body style for < 1 year. If you care about that kind of stuff, the only choice then would be to wait till the summer or get a sedan instead.

RobertaZ 12-04-2012 01:40 PM

I can't seem to find any dealers in the Toronto area who have Sport Line cars with sport suspension to test drive. Has anyone here driven the Sport Line with and without the SS?

My '07 E90 has SS and I love the way it handles. I'm sure an F30 will be even better, but I would REALLY to drive it myself before taking the plunge.

RobertaZ

EnerJi 12-04-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7230818)
I can't seem to find any dealers in the Toronto area who have Sport Line cars with sport suspension to test drive. Has anyone here driven the Sport Line with and without the SS?

My '07 E90 has SS and I love the way it handles. I'm sure an F30 will be even better, but I would REALLY to drive it myself before taking the plunge.

RobertaZ

Yeah, you should definitely drive one before making the commitment.

If you're still going to consider the 2012, make sure it's appropriately discounted. For it to be a good deal, you should be able to get it for ~ 15% less than an equivalently optioned 2013, as it's lost close to 15% in value simply by virtue of it being a year older than a 2013.

If you could get a 2013 model for $50k (for example), you would want to be targeting <$43k for the 2012 for this to be a reasonable deal. In my experience (in the US), dealers do not discount previous model year cars enough to make them worthwhile.

RobertaZ 12-04-2012 07:53 PM

(Canadian prices).

BMW Canada is offering a $4k discount on the 2012 coupe along with a $3,000 discount which I can get on any car I purchase. There's also another $1,000 loyalty discount that would apply. Essentially, the only 2012-specific discount is the $4k. I'd like to get more, if I'm going to get the '12. It is the last '12 that the dealer has in stock, so I don't think that they are in any rush to discount it any more.


RobertaZ

hans007 12-05-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7231503)
(Canadian prices).

BMW Canada is offering a $4k discount on the 2012 coupe along with a $3,000 discount which I can get on any car I purchase. There's also another $1,000 loyalty discount that would apply. Essentially, the only 2012-specific discount is the $4k. I'd like to get more, if I'm going to get the '12. It is the last '12 that the dealer has in stock, so I don't think that they are in any rush to discount it any more.


RobertaZ

all else being equal i don't think thats enough of a discount.

when the 2014 coupe comes out in 9 months, that 2012 coupe will take a much larger hit given now its "2 years" old And would just plain loook old.

when the 2012 F30 came out, E90 prices used im sure dropped as well more than if it was just a regular model year change

RobertaZ 12-05-2012 07:22 AM

Agreed. I will ask them to raise the discount from $4k to $7.5k. Hopefully, I won't be laughed out of the dealership.

RobertaZ

mchattod 12-05-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7230818)
I can't seem to find any dealers in the Toronto area who have Sport Line cars with sport suspension to test drive. Has anyone here driven the Sport Line with and without the SS?
RobertaZ

I can't say anything about the E92 but, the F30 sedan Sport Line or M Sport Line come with the same sport suspension (option 704). You can't order a Sport Line without the Sport Suspension. The only thing you can do is order the dynamic handling package (option ZDH) which, gives you the best of both worlds, luxury ride when you want it / sport feel when you want it. Many on this forum recommend this option.

I like the feel of the sport suspension so, I didn't order dynamic handling. I ordered a 2013 Sport Line sedan and absolutely love the way it drives and handles.

beenthere1130 12-05-2012 07:44 AM

In September, I took delivery of a 2013 E92 coupe. It is my understanding from the dealer that BMW is targeting July of 2013 for the F32 coupe.

However, if X-drive is important, that drive-train may not be available until January of 2014 or perhaps even later.

Concerning cost, I was offered identical E92 coupes (in a desirable color combination jet black/saddle) for the following: $1500 UNDER invoice for the 2012 and $1100 OVER invoice for the 2013. If you are willing to take an odd combination (red/cream interior) in a 2012, I have seen the prices of those coupes down around 2500 under invoice. 2013 E92s do not appear to be receiving "end of body style price" treatment-- and likely won't until the F32 is officially announced and arriving on dealer lots.

I didn't want to be a guinea-pig for the new 4 banger engine. And, since I have to differentiate the F30s from the E90s (post LCI) by either 1. seeing that pop-up nav screen or 2. the grey bottom of the back bumper I don't imagine the coupe to be "instantly outdated" in the looks department.

My biggest regret in choosing this generation over waiting is the second shaved off to 60 and the +6 mpg in city driving.

hans007 12-06-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7232074)
Agreed. I will ask them to raise the discount from $4k to $7.5k. Hopefully, I won't be laughed out of the dealership.

RobertaZ

Can't hurt to try. I'm sure 4k isn't their final offer especially on a 2012 at this time of year

SamS 12-06-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7232110)
In September, I took delivery of a 2013 E92 coupe. It is my understanding from the dealer that BMW is targeting July of 2013 for the F32 coupe.

Probably Nov 2013, for the F32.

boltjaM3s 12-06-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere1130 (Post 7232110)

I don't imagine the coupe to be "instantly outdated" in the looks department.

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/BMW...-Coupe-004.jpg

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/BMW...-Coupe-002.jpg


Sorry.

BJ

beenthere1130 12-07-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7235503)

Sorry.

BJ

Well, to be fair, those pictures were not released when I made my comment. And, those renderings appear to be in the concept stage. We know, for example, the bumper won't look like that.

jygesq 12-07-2012 10:51 AM

2012 has a classic bmw 6 cylinder engine
 
2013 has a turbo four, I'd go for the 6.

RobertaZ 12-09-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchattod (Post 7232091)
I can't say anything about the E92 but, the F30 sedan Sport Line or M Sport Line come with the same sport suspension (option 704). You can't order a Sport Line without the Sport Suspension.

Not in the Great White north. Sport suspension is a $400 option on the Sport Line sedan.

R

mr_clueless 12-09-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 7240136)
Not in the Great White north. Sport suspension is a $400 option on the Sport Line sedan.

R

Interesting...that gives a rough idea for how much someone getting a sport line or m sport line with DHP is paying for getting nothing.

RobertaZ 12-10-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_clueless (Post 7240143)
Interesting...that gives a rough idea for how much someone getting a sport line or m sport line with DHP is paying for getting nothing.

..and DHP is not available as an option either.

RobertaZ


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms