Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   F10 - 550i mods: Meisterschaft Exhaust – Dinan suspensions – Dinan tune stage 3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661578)

zms 12-01-2012 01:37 PM

F10 - 550i mods: Meisterschaft Exhaust – Dinan suspensions – Dinan tune stage 3

21 Attachment(s)
Ok! I admit it took me forever to kick start the mods in my car! But there must be a starting point and here I’m ***9786;. Those are my recent upgrades and I would like to share my experience with you!

Since this topic has been covered previously, I will try to bring in some points that have not been covered elsewhere.

Background:
My 550i has the M-sport package and not the sport package (i.e. no EDC), however, I do have the Normal/Sport/Sport+ modes, their main function is noticed in throttle response (rpm response) and turning the dynamic traction control (DTC) on/off. Stock wheels and tires.

Dinan Suspensions:
Once I tuned the engine with Dinan performance boost, upgrading the stock suspension has become imperative in order for the car to handle the new hp and torque, I opted to go with Dinan suspensions since I didn’t want to lower the car dramatically, they will lower the car by ½ inch at all sides (approximately 1 finger breadth), this is hard to notice in a photo. However, the car will feel much tighter to the ground and more sportier than stock but still comfortable in daily drive. Love it!

I elected to install them via a local shop in Toronto – RMPmotors - they are specialized in European cars, in particular BMWs, Rocco – the owner – impressed me with his knowledge, skills, honesty, professionalism and reasonable prices, he was able to install the suspensions in about 90 mins, isn’t that a record! he added the 2 dinan bumpstops to the 2 OEM-stock bumpstops, and now the car has bumpstops all around the 4 corners for protection.

Meisterschaft exhaust with EV control and glossy black tips:
Listen to the video clips; I will leave it to your judgment! All what I can say is that this exhaust draws a smile in my face everytime I drive my car! The sound is amazing! And now I can feel the power of the engine with each throttle response.
The most admirable thing about this system is the EV control; it allows me to be on full control towards how aggressive I want my car to sound (as you will hear in the video clips). I have programmed the remote control into the inside-mirror universal buttons for ease of use and some feeling of originality ***9786;.

There is a minimal drone between rpm:1600 to 1800 at second and third gear (only when the valves are open), but you can easily bypass it by changing between normal and sport modes depending on how aggressive you want to be over your throttle, there is no drone what so ever when the valves are closed. Oh! One other tip: the control units required to remotely operate the valves are located in the inner side of both inner tips, their wires must be connected directly to the battery through an existing access hole on the floor of the trunk near the battery (i.e. no drilling required).

Special thanks to Peter Pang – the owner of Next Mod in Toronto – where I have imported the exhaust through, and to Micky from GTHAUS Meisterschaft who has accommodated all my requests and inquires. And even when my shipment faced technical difficulties due to SEMA and Sandy storm both of them were accessible and have provided me with all the support, prompt services and honest promises that reflect their level of professionalism. Once again, RMPmotors knocks down the installation in about an hour!

Enough said! Time for some photos and clips: (iphone quality)

P.S. Future mods: 20’’ new shoes and big brake kits ;)

zms 12-01-2012 01:38 PM

Here are the links for the clips: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLrk...ature=youtu.be

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTMjJ...ature=youtu.be

dunderhi 12-01-2012 04:05 PM

Nice mods! I certainly would have loved to had your install times.

Cdgiles 12-01-2012 04:47 PM

Thanks for the write up. A couple of questions for you and/or other members. Does anyone know if this exhaust set-up is likely to pass California emissions/smog tests? How does this higher volume exhaust marry up to the Dinan S3 tuning enhancements?

Thanks in advance.

zms 12-01-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 7225499)
Nice mods! I certainly would have loved to had your install times.

Thanks Dunderhi!

Certainly your previous valuable reviews played a major factor in triggering the kick start of these mods ;)

zms 12-01-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdgiles (Post 7225533)
Thanks for the write up. A couple of questions for you and/or other members. Does anyone know if this exhaust set-up is likely to pass California emissions/smog tests? How does this higher volume exhaust marry up to the Dinan S3 tuning enhancements?

Thanks in advance.

I have just upgraded the tune from stage 2 to 3, I didn't try it enough to share in my opinion, however, I think I have read a previous review on this by dunderhi.

Dunderhi, Any updates on the topic?

Needsdecaf 12-01-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

It's a catback. Emissions shouldn't be changed.

dunderhi 12-01-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zms (Post 7225786)
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I have just upgraded the tune from stage 2 to 3, I didn't try it enough to share in my opinion, however, I think I have read a previous review on this by dunderhi.

Dunderhi, Any updates on the topic?

No idea about California emissions, but since Dinan is in California himself and drives an F10, I would think he would have a personal stake in making sure it would pass.

As far as Stage 2 vs 3, I can't really say I felt a difference, but I wouldn't have expected to feel much with a 10hp gain. On the otherhand, the exhaust note really changed the driving experience.

Cdgiles 12-01-2012 10:01 PM

Well either way, some great mods. I love what the OP did!

djsilo 12-03-2012 02:51 PM

Outstanding !

djsilo 12-03-2012 04:52 PM

Please keep us posted on the wheels and brake kit you choose.

zms 12-03-2012 09:49 PM

Thanks guys for the kind words ;)

Tuffyboy 12-04-2012 12:36 AM

Wow, sounds amazing!. Love the nice tolerable growl. Stock it sounds less aggressive than my wife's minivan so very interested in this post. Thanks.

Couple of questions, why Meisterschaft over Dinan or another offering? Also what were your impressions post Dinan springs? That is my planned next upgrade- ACS or Dinan springs.

I just got to test drive the latest Lamborghini's yesterday and while its no Aventador my 550i with Dinan 2 was still fun on the way home. If it sounded more badass I could at least pretend...

Thanks again

zms 12-04-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsilo (Post 7228948)
Please keep us posted on the wheels and brake kit you choose.

I'm thinking to go with MORR VS 8.2 Silver - 20'', staggered setting: Front 20/9 and Rear 20/10.

Brakes: still no solid thoughts, I liked the STOPTECH big brake kits with the drilled discs but I have noticed that for the f10 - 550 they are only made for the front, non for the rear!

Any suggestions?

zms 12-05-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffyboy (Post 7229720)
Wow, sounds amazing!. Love the nice tolerable growl. Stock it sounds less aggressive than my wife's minivan so very interested in this post. Thanks.

Couple of questions, why Meisterschaft over Dinan or another offering? Also what were your impressions post Dinan springs? That is my planned next upgrade- ACS or Dinan springs.

I just got to test drive the latest Lamborghini's yesterday and while its no Aventador my 550i with Dinan 2 was still fun on the way home. If it sounded more badass I could at least pretend...

Thanks again

Thanks Tuffyboy ;)

Why Meisterschaft: I wanted an exhaust system that gives a wide range of sound rather than a fixed one, I need this flexibility to adjust to specific enviroments, e.g. at work, picking up my children from school, business ride vs. fun rides. The EV control offers me all these choices, moreover, recently i learned that the valves not only opens and closes but depending on how long you press the remote button you can adjust it to all possible ranges, i.e. from fully closed to fully open and every thing in between, this helps me a lot in eliminating any drone at any specific speed by adjusting the valves accordingly, i can't ask for better and I'm very pleased with this system.

The other reason for picking it is having the x-pipe which eliminate the middle OEM resonator (as you can see in the pics) theoretically this should allow for better free flow of gases off the engine and therefore reducing some of the back pressure (enhancing performance), in addition to adding a more aggressive sound to the system at fully-opened state.

Why Dinan suspensions: Will since I don't have EDC, I wanted to install a full coilovers but was surprised with the fact that there isn't yet any for the 550 Xdrive, the only two available choices I found in the market - that are compatible with Xdrive - were: Dinan (lowers by 1/2 inch) and H&R (lowers by average 1.4 inch) springs, my goal from the suspension upgrade was performance over the look, and since my preference is not to significantly lower the car, I went with Dinan.

In terms of my few weeks experience with the suspension, I can certainly feel the difference from stock; the car is handling corners much better, the ride hight just like what I want it to be, no bottoming out what so ever, the car feels stiff as a BMW should feel :D and responds better when manoeuvred with out a compromise to the ride comfort in daily drive. I can't wait to see how would the wheels/tires upgrade would add to this! (spring mods :).

I have not taken the car back to the garage for alignment yet, and I'm not sure if it would do any difference, It would be nice if someone else who has done it can chime in and share the experience??.

I hope this would help :)

Tuffyboy 12-06-2012 12:01 AM

Extremely helpful. Those are the two mods I am adding to my Xmas list. Love the info on the fully adjustable exhaust- awesome :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:

djsilo 12-06-2012 03:00 AM

@ZMS check out vividracing.com they have brake options on the site. nice choice of wheels

zms 12-07-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsilo (Post 7233903)
@ZMS check out vividracing.com they have brake options on the site. nice choice of wheels

Thanks djsilo, their prices seem quite reasonable!

Dblock2151 12-09-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zms (Post 7237191)
Thanks djsilo, their prices seem quite reasonable!

Don't order online, call them! I usually get an extra 5-15% off the price listed online as long as I am ready to order same day.

Axxlrod 12-09-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Cars don't have to be smogged until they are 7 years old in CA. So it wouldn't matter until that point. And most likely, you won't still have the car then either.

So, put that exhaust on!

bmwgcyr 10-03-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 7239182)
Cars don't have to be smogged until they are 7 years old in CA. So it wouldn't matter until that point. And most likely, you won't still have the car then either.

So, put that exhaust on!

I have also installed the Meistershaft GTC exhaust on my 2011 550i M-Sport. It is loud and people notice it a lot, they all want to see the back end and the badge.

I get so many thumbs up and good remarks on the car sound and people look at you a lot. The sound now matches the car look.

Minimal drone in between 1600 to 2000 rpm, it is sad that it falls directly in the highway 120km/h speed rpm range, my wife hates it and I must admit that a 4 h drive even with valves closed sometimes gives me a small headache! At 140 km/h and higher it is much better! ;)

But in normal commute it is a blast and draws a smile on my face everytime. And the sound is incredible. At the dealer many guys told me it is the best sound from a 550 they have ever heard. I agree with them, it is loud and mean...

Regards,

Guy

Tuffyboy 10-03-2013 04:34 PM

Hey bmwgcyr,

Surprised you get the drone with the valves closed. I get it it around the same RPM level when wide open but if I close it around 1/4 (or 3/4's open) it doesn't drone and I honestly think it sounds even more sinister :)

Completely closed it is 90% stock and zero drone. I have Dinan stage 3 but doubt that would make a difference.

All in all its the most fun mod I have done.

bmwgcyr 10-03-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffyboy (Post 7875280)
Hey bmwgcyr,

Surprised you get the drone with the valves closed. I get it it around the same RPM level when wide open but if I close it around 1/4 (or 3/4's open) it doesn't drone and I honestly think it sounds even more sinister :)

Completely closed it is 90% stock and zero drone. I have Dinan stage 3 but doubt that would make a difference.

All in all its the most fun mod I have done.

I will need to get Dinan stage 3 to be sure or go to Caliornia to compare both cars! ;)