Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Rust proof? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661703)

greco2000 12-02-2012 06:38 AM

Rust proof?

To my fellow winter dwellers:

What is your thoughts on rustproofing. Not sure if I would do the full out hole drilling version of it on my 6, but a simple under spray.

Yay or nay?

645/333 12-02-2012 08:35 AM

I spray ACF50 all over exposed metal and bolts on the chassis and engine compartment once a year before winter sets in >>>>>>>

DamienM3 12-02-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7226445)
I spray ACF50 all over exposed metal and bolts on the chassis and engine compartment once a year before winter sets in >>>>>>>

Do you spray the whole undercarriage? It doesn't hurt paint? What about buildup? Dirt collection?

I have been looking for something to help protect my cars in the rust belt during winter. Anything to extend their life and prevent rust!

645/333 12-02-2012 10:50 AM

I spray all of the metallic parts that are exposed, I do the diff, its bolts, suspension bolts, inside wheel wells around suspension posts, bodywork through bolts, engine parts made from alloy etc etc. I do the front of the engine all exposed alloy, oil cooler >>> make sure you don't get it on the belts, but if you do it will eventually clear!!! common sense...
I normally high pressure hose the underside down and let it dry, then spray as much as I can reach, i put it on a rag and do the brake callipers, but away from the disc's, sound boring now, but my engine compartments even after 80k miles look brand new. I am not saying that this is a panacea to prevent everything, but I don't have sad looking rusted bolts or threads all over the place. Yes dirt can attach itself (but that takes along time) but when I hose the car down (even the engine bay or steam clean) it all comes back to new and then I just respray....It prevents water incursion to the electronics,It does not damage paint work, it is used by the military and on aircraft for the same reason
If you read the right ups on the products then you can make your own judgements!!! I am sure you will be able to find suitable alternatives!!!
Feel like I am doing an ad Lol

DamienM3 12-02-2012 05:15 PM

I appreciate your in depth response! Maybe you should be a ad man? It was very selling! lol :rofl:

Medicus 12-03-2012 02:13 AM

I am going to have to try this when I move back to Ohio. What spray methods do you use (can or sprayer)

645/333 12-04-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicus (Post 7227787)
I am going to have to try this when I move back to Ohio. What spray methods do you use (can or sprayer)

It can be bought in various forms I just use a couple of cans, it goes a long way especially if you rag it on the various surfaces....

greco2000 12-04-2012 08:34 PM

I was thinking of bringing it to one of those shops to do the full under spray

645/333 12-05-2012 04:13 AM

I see you live in Toronto so you have some extremes of climate, I know these cars already have good rust protection but they are mostly concerned with deep rust protection not surface rust. So my use of these protective products is to keep my cars looking as good as they can for as long as I can, and when I come to sell people say Wow !

BMdude816 12-05-2012 04:36 AM

Wow! This thread is interesting. Well anyways, i use Dinitrol ML3125. I think it's a classic buy. Well, maybe because almost all of my colleagues use it. But if you ask me, it's a GOOD product. :D

DamienM3 12-05-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7230321)
It can be bought in various forms I just use a couple of cans, it goes a long way especially if you rag it on the various surfaces....

Sounds like a day with the car on jack stands and rubber gloves wiping every reachable bit down. Sounds like a party! :D

Yorgi 12-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7226445)

Sold my winter-beater last year so I will probably drive the 6 all winter this year.

I am going to try the ACF50. I like the idea of rust protection without making a massive mess like you get with the typical annual oil spray. I work on my own cars so I can't bear the idea of gumming up the under-body with tar-like oil.

Companies like Krown that drill and use a wax-like spray work well, but I really don't like the idea of holes drilled in my body panels.

greco2000 12-05-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7233316)
Sold my winter-beater last year so I will probably drive the 6 all winter this year.

I am going to try the ACF50. I like the idea of rust protection without making a massive mess like you get with the typical annual oil spray. I work on my own cars so I can't bear the idea of gumming up the under-body with tar-like oil.

Companies like Krown that drill and use a wax-like spray work well, but I really don't like the idea of holes drilled in my body panels.

Let me know when you do yours Yorgi and I will join you! Lol. We'll have. Rust proof party together! Haha

Mulchman 12-06-2012 04:05 AM

I sold cars in the mid 80's and the dealership used to do what we called "Rust and Dust" (rust proof, scotch guard, paint sealer, etc...). It was ALL crap. Just a way to increase dealer profit. In some cases the drilling of the holes was where the rust started. :jawdrop:

I would never let anyone drill my 6er. I wouldn't let them drill my 8 y/o Aviator for that matter. :soapbox:

Okay, I'm done.