Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Very Very Disappointed (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661712)

Gluhwein 12-02-2012 08:21 AM

Very Very Disappointed
 
Still love my 2012 128i convert, but really po'd about the crap tires BMW put on the car.

We did European Delivery last February and rented snow tires in Germany from John Lance (excellent experience). Back here in the US I have put 7200 miles on the car minus the 800 plus miles we did on the German snows. Yesterday I decided to "save" the original expensive Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Runflats by buying cheaper Nettos (?) to use until I return the car at lease end. The NTB guys told me those damn Eagles were already down to 3/100 on the rear. And I drive like a spirited old lady - no burn-outs, below 80 mph and in an area with relatively cool temps. At that rate, I'd need 4 sets of rear tires by the end of my lease. Unacceptable. Anyone else similarly dissatisfied?

jsc 12-02-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7226356)
Still love my 2012 128i convert, but really po'd about the crap tires BMW put on the car.

We did European Delivery last February and rented snow tires in Germany from John Lance (excellent experience). Back here in the US I have put 7200 miles on the car minus the 800 plus miles we did on the German snows. Yesterday I decided to "save" the original expensive Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Runflats by buying cheaper Nettos (?) to use until I return the car at lease end. The NTB guys told me those damn Eagles were already down to 3/100 on the rear. And I drive like a spirited old lady - no burn-outs, below 80 mph and in an area with relatively cool temps. At that rate, I'd need 4 sets of rear tires by the end of my lease. Unacceptable. Anyone else similarly dissatisfied?

Did you measure the tyre tread depth yourself, or is the tyre guy trying to make a sale? Tread depth measurement is in mm or 1/32" increments, a new summer tyre starts with about 8mm (10/32"), so '3/100' is not a normal measurement. With a summer tyre (run flat or not) 20,000 miles is about the maximum life, our 135i is getting about 15,000km (9,000 miles) to a set of summer tyres with spirited driving, both OEM Bridgestone RE050A runflat or Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflat.

Gluhwein 12-02-2012 04:29 PM

Sorry, I'm not a tech guy. He DID say 3/32 not 3/100. And he already sold me the Nettos before measuring. I just asked him to check to make sure I could still slap the old set back on when returning the car. Fortunately, the two front tires are fine, but why the heck would supposed all-season tires wear out at less than 10,000 miles? Every other car I've owned has gotten 20,000 plus.

mr29 12-03-2012 01:26 AM

from my research this is a known issue check out my 128i buying thread I've put together a list of tires to replace the run flats

jsc 12-03-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7227020)
Fortunately, the two front tires are fine, but why the heck would supposed all-season tires wear out at less than 10,000 miles? Every other car I've owned has gotten 20,000 plus.

Good Year Eagle NCT 5 Run Flats are summer tyres, they will wear significantly faster than all-seasons: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....NCT5+RunOnFlat

With most moderately aggressively driven rear wheel drive cars, expect to replace the rear tyres at twice the frequency of the fronts.

JimD1 12-04-2012 06:15 AM

The tread wear rating of the tire is a better way to estimate it's longevity than the warranty or other measures in my experience. I believe yours are rated 240 which is low but not exceptionally low. Long life is apparently not a big factor to BMW in choosing the tires. They are not run flats but if you want an all season tire, these are a good buy IMHO:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

With a treadwear rating over 500 they should wear more than twice as long.

I am planning to go to a square setup on my 128 very soon when it gets new shoes. I want to be able to rotate tires because the rears wear out so much faster than the fronts. The stability control won't let us burn them so I think it is the camber of the rear tires. The toe in may also be a little high. BMW REALLY wants our cars to understeer, not oversteer.

Jim

Tom K. 12-04-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7227020)
Sorry, I'm not a tech guy. He DID say 3/32 not 3/100. And he already sold me the Nettos before measuring. I just asked him to check to make sure I could still slap the old set back on when returning the car. Fortunately, the two front tires are fine, but why the heck would supposed all-season tires wear out at less than 10,000 miles? Every other car I've owned has gotten 20,000 plus.

You don't need to be a tech guy to buy a cheap tread depth gauge and periodically measure your tires yourself. That way, you will know if there is a problem with alignment and you won't be at the mercy of a tire salesman. And as JSC posted, the NCT5s are Summer touring tires, not all seasons. Were you aware your 128i came with a Sport Package?

FWIW, the rear Goodyear NCT5s on my '08 128i cabrio lasted 23,000 miles. Since they are extremely expensive, I replaced all 4 with Conti DWS.

Tom

Gluhwein 12-04-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom K. (Post 7230170)
You don't need to be a tech guy to buy a cheap tread depth gauge and periodically measure your tires yourself. That way, you will know if there is a problem with alignment and you won't be at the mercy of a tire salesman. And as JSC posted, the NCT5s are Summer touring tires, not all seasons. Were you aware your 128i came with a Sport Package?

FWIW, the rear Goodyear NCT5s on my '08 128i cabrio lasted 23,000 miles. Since they are extremely expensive, I replaced all 4 with Conti DWS.

Tom

Did I know I had a Sport Package? Hell no. Didn't want one and this is the first I heard that I did. I assumed I got all season tires like my invoice said. I guess it was a good thing I did rent snow tires in Munich.

If there is a Next Time, I'm gonna be much more diligent in making sure my order matches what I actually get. As it was, I was constantly badgering my dealer about problems and misinformation regarding my European Delivery vehicle. I wish I had know about this website and the sponsors before placing my order in NJ.

ProRail 12-04-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7230576)
Did I know I had a Sport Package? Hell no. Didn't want one and this is the first I heard that I did. I assumed I got all season tires like my invoice said. I guess it was a good thing I did rent snow tires in Munich.

If there is a Next Time, I'm gonna be much more diligent in making sure my order matches what I actually get. As it was, I was constantly badgering my dealer about problems and misinformation regarding my European Delivery vehicle. I wish I had know about this website and the sponsors before placing my order in NJ.

Nuff said.

ND40oz 12-07-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7230576)
Did I know I had a Sport Package? Hell no. Didn't want one and this is the first I heard that I did. I assumed I got all season tires like my invoice said. I guess it was a good thing I did rent snow tires in Munich.

If there is a Next Time, I'm gonna be much more diligent in making sure my order matches what I actually get. As it was, I was constantly badgering my dealer about problems and misinformation regarding my European Delivery vehicle. I wish I had know about this website and the sponsors before placing my order in NJ.

So what options did you order?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms