Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's needed to get an ED Date locked (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661960)

MustGoFast 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

What's needed to get an ED Date locked

So I'm not new to the ED process, in fact I'm thinking about car #3 next fall. The difference this time is I want to travel over Oktoberfest with some friends rather than having pretty good flexibility in dates.

So I was wondering, how soon can I get my date locked, and do I have to have everything selected prior. This time I'm not sure which car I'm going to get yet, can I lock a date early and decide the details prior to production for example? I know I've heard of people having a date locked and changing dealers so there seems to be some flexibility around the date lock that I'm not familiar with.

I know on financing it only locks for 60days anyway so that's not going to get done until much closer to the due date.

Thanks for the help.

MonkeyCMonkeyDo 12-03-2012 11:45 AM

As soon as you get a production number the CA handling the ED for you will need to submit a form with 3 date requests. They will then receive a confirmed date usually your first choice.

I had my date back in June when I placed my order for an end of September delivery.

AggieKnight 12-03-2012 12:18 PM

The earliest you can get your ED confirmed is 6 months. Some dealers will agree on a deal outside of that window (my first ED, we agreed 8 mo out), but BMW does not confirm greater than 6 months.

Just a thought on Octoberfest...enjoy the festivities..then pick up the car, maybe?

GerWil 12-03-2012 12:19 PM

I am in a similar situation. BMW Financial Services now has a smartphone app promotion, for existing Financial Services customers, in which you set up a test drive, and can receive $300 to $700 off first lease payment, on a car ordered by December 31. I would like to take delivery in mid May and hoping ED will accept an order for delivery 5 months in advance. I thought you could go about 6 months on an existing model, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has recently ordered that far in advance.

GerWil 12-03-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieKnight (Post 7228600)
The earliest you can get your ED confirmed is 6 months. Some dealers will agree on a deal outside of that window (my first ED, we agreed 8 mo out), but BMW does not confirm greater than 6 months.

Just a thought on Octoberfest...enjoy the festivities..then pick up the car, maybe?

Six months would work for me. On the Octoberfest vacation, why worry about the car now, Make your plans and then get your order in, 6 mos before delivery; you should not have date problems that far in advance, and I know from others on this site that you can make minor changes (color, options), prior to production.

M FUNF 12-03-2012 04:20 PM

First you plant the seed, then you grow the tree, when the apple is ripe you pick it. It is exceedingly difficult to decide what day to pick the apple when you have not yet planted the seed!:dunno:

jtuds 12-03-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo (Post 7228531)
As soon as you get a production number the CA handling the ED for you will need to submit a form with 3 date requests. They will then receive a confirmed date usually your first choice.

I had my date back in June when I placed my order for an end of September delivery.

so if i buy a car in february i could get a late april date??

MonkeyCMonkeyDo 12-03-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtuds (Post 7229118)

Yeah up to 6 months in advance. I would guess that you would get your first choice without issue picking a date that far in advance.

AggieKnight 12-04-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtuds (Post 7229118)

Not to be a stickler, but you do not 'buy' your car until right before your trip. You negotiate a deal and terms, then 'buy' it right before your trip. Preferably as close to your delivery as possible as financing starts the day you sign.

I.e. I signed my paperwork on 17 Nov. Ergo, my lease started on the 17th even though I didn't pick the car up until the 22nd.

Make sense?

M FUNF 12-04-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AggieKnight (Post 7229797)
Not to be a stickler, but you do not 'buy' your car until right before your trip. You negotiate a deal and terms, then 'buy' it right before your trip. Preferably as close to your delivery as possible as financing starts the day you sign.

I.e. I signed my paperwork on 17 Nov. Ergo, my lease started on the 17th even though I didn't pick the car up until the 22nd.

Make sense?

Not to be a stickler, but you did not "buy" your car, you rented it. You signed your long term rental agreement on the 17th, and took delivery of your rental on the 22nd.:D

cwsqbm 12-04-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M FUNF (Post 7228999)
First you plant the seed, then you grow the tree, when the apple is ripe you pick it. It is exceedingly difficult to decide what day to pick the apple when you have not yet planted the seed!:dunno:

But if you know roughly when you want to pick apples, you know you must plant the seed a certain amount of time before. (Having grown an apple tree once and waited years for apples, it makes waiting for redelivery seem almost instantaneous by comparison). However, I did have to decide what type of apple tree to plant at the beginning.

AggieKnight 12-04-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M FUNF (Post 7229886)
Not to be a stickler, but you did not "buy" your car, you rented it. You signed your long term rental agreement on the 17th, and took delivery of your rental on the 22nd.:D

To further this stickleration, you are technically incorrect. :p

I completed a financial transaction with a 3rd party on 17 Nov to purchase the car from my BMW dealership. The conditions of the agreement with the 3rd party (BMW FS) are that I pay down the depreciation on the car (plus interest) for 39 months then have a chance to buy out the car or hand it back.

:thumbup:

My entire point in being a stickler in the beginning was to get the point across that all OP has to do is make a deal with the dealer and get the car ordered. Depending on the dealership, he shouldn't even have to put down a deposit. Then at a later time, he is required to complete the actual transaction of purchase.

chrischeung 12-04-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M FUNF (Post 7228999)

I can have someone pick an apple for me, but I can't get them to pick up my ED car. Or has that changed? Do I have to order the car, or can I get someone else to do that?

ED is not as easy as apple pie - it's more like apple strudel.

M FUNF 12-04-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischeung (Post 7230440)
I can have someone pick an apple for me, but I can't get them to pick up my ED car. Or has that changed? Do I have to order the car, or can I get someone else to do that?

Actually easier than apple crisp! Oh why, oh why did I start this inane fruity reference?:dunno:

chrischeung 12-04-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M FUNF (Post 7230543)
Actually easier than apple crisp! Oh why, oh why did I start this inane fruity reference?:dunno:

Just a bit of fun :). I'd like to think that while Bimmerfest is informative, it's also entertaining.

AggieKnight 12-04-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischeung (Post 7230440)

Mmmm...I'm currently carrying a pound of apple strudel. Can't wait to get back to my gym, but oh goodness how it is tasty...

MustGoFast 12-04-2012 08:22 PM

So 6 months... that was the answer I was after. Thanks peoples :)