Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Considering purchasing a 07 550i, thoughts? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661962)

Ramacher 12-03-2012 11:54 AM

Considering purchasing a 07 550i, thoughts?
 
I found an 07 550i and they're asking $15000. The car looks to be fully loaded (iDrive nav) and looks like all it's missing is the adaptive cruise control.

Now the car has 107,000miles! Is that too much for this car? I've read that a BMW's 100,000mi is equivalent to another car at 50,000mi. Any truth to that? The car has one owner and no accidents.

What should I look for or ask them about as this would be my first German car. I'm going to be using it as my daily driver and commuter.

Here's the options listed:

Code:

20-WAY PWR MULTI-CONTOUR FRONT SEATS[456]
Cost: $1200.00
Details:
Seat Memory
Power Passenger Seat
Bucket Seats
Power Driver Seat

PREMIUM SOUND PKG[ZPS]
Cost: $1800.00
Details:
CD Changer
CD Player
Premium Sound System

DAKOTA LEATHER SEAT TRIM[LC__]
Details:
Leather Seats

HIGH-DEFINITION RADIO[653]
Cost: $500.00

6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION W/OD[205]
Details:
A/T
6-Speed A/T

SPORT PKG[ZSP]
Cost: $2800.00
Details:
Tires - Front Performance
Aluminum Wheels
Tires - Rear Performance
Bucket Seats
Power Driver Seat
Power Passenger Seat

COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM[322]
Cost: $1000.00
Details:
Vehicle Anti-Theft System
Power Door Locks
Keyless Entry
Keyless Start
PWR REAR SUNSHADE W/REAR MANUAL SIDE WINDOW SHADES[416]
Cost: $575.00

NAVIGATION SYSTEM[609]
Cost: $1900.00
Details:
Navigation System

HEATED FRONT SEATS[494]
Cost: $500.00
Details:
Heated Passenger Seat
Heated Driver Seat
Heated Driver Seat

COLD WEATHER PKG[ZCW]
Cost: $750.00
Details:
Heated Passenger Seat
Heated Driver Seat
Heated Driver Seat

REAR DOOR-MOUNTED SIDE-IMPACT AIRBAGS[261]
Cost: $385.00
Details:
Rear Body Air Bag

LOGIC7 SOUND SYSTEM[677]
Cost: $1200.00
Details:
MP3 Player
Premium Sound System

I'm also looking at 07 328i with iDrive. It's got 85,000 miles and they're asking $15,000 for that one as well.

I would prefer the 5 over the 3 but the 3 has better mpg and 20,000 less miles on the odometer. What do you guys think?

HPIA4v2 12-03-2012 01:12 PM

Search for "lever" or "vale seal", this problem develops on V8 engine built after 2005. very costly to repair. Symptoms would be white smoke in the cold at idle. I can't recommend getting BMW with that many mileage until you can work on the car yourself.

Ramacher 12-03-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 (Post 7228694)
Search for "lever" or "vale seal", this problem develops on V8 engine built after 2005. very costly to repair. Symptoms would be white smoke in the cold at idle. I can't recommend getting BMW with that many mileage until you can work on the car yourself.

Thanks for that insight. How likely is this to happen? Since this car is being offered for $15k, it probably already has the issue correct? I've seen other 550i's with about the same mileage going for $5-7k more.

Also I'm very experienced on working on cars. I do all maintenance and oil changes on my vehicle and my brothers. The only issue is I'm moving mid January (hence the reason for buying another vehicle) and probably won't have all my tools and other equipment available to me for a couple months.

What about the 328 with 85k miles? Is that too high as well?

HPIA4v2 12-03-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramacher (Post 7228727)
Thanks for that insight. How likely is this to happen? Since this car is being offered for $15k, it probably already has the issue correct? I've seen other 550i's with about the same mileage going for $5-7k more.

Also I'm very experienced on working on cars. I do all maintenance and oil changes on my vehicle and my brothers. The only issue is I'm moving mid January (hence the reason for buying another vehicle) and probably won't have all my tools and other equipment available to me for a couple months.

What about the 328 with 85k miles? Is that too high as well?

The inline-6 non-turbo from BMW is proven, a lot of them goes to 200k-miles with no major problems; except maybe CCV clogged from sludge (extended oil change and short trips in very cold climate) or water-pump/cooling overhaul needed earlier than typical cars. So yes the 328 is better if you like the car/style/drive etc. Or look for lower mileage 550i.

bfeng 12-03-2012 05:43 PM

100k BMW miles is like ...
 
I would say BMW's need far more servicing per mile than any American or Asian car (on average). For example: BMW's regularly wear out their front suspension parts in about 50kmiles. So, at 100kmiles, if the control arms and steering rods are not new, they'll need renewing soon to retain the original/new handling. Figure $2500.

At 100kmiles, it would not be unreasonable to think the shocks will need replacing soon ($1000 parts plus $500 labor and an alignment).

I would not buy a used 5 series without a long extended warranty.

John

TRS550 12-03-2012 05:53 PM

I would not buy a used BMW with over 50,000 miles unless the seller could provide documentation showing oil changes no less than every 7500 miles.

A 550 with over 100,000 miles has very likely had only 6, maybe 7 oil changes in it's life. My 550 has 90,000 miles and has had 18 oil changes in it's life.

Walk away. It's likely a money pit.

phlfly 12-03-2012 07:56 PM

it's very suspicious about a price, even with 107,000 miles. Those cars (2007) is worth about 20,000 with even the mileage. About valve seats it's not many cases, remember it's a forum and people attend to report a problem, and also I saw about two occasions with this problem for last couple years on 550i and now assume how many 550 were sold, let's assume 10% didn't report as they don't care and another 90% are still good cars. This problem could be due oil, overheating, manufacture defects, putting a wrong oil additives and many other factors. Also this problem could be due people are driving like grandmom and/or short distance, so the carbon build up on valve seats. I talked to BMW and they suggested this car should drive hard at least once a week.
I have 86000 miles and I don't have oil consumption at all (knock on wood) even with aggressive driving.

DAI 12-03-2012 09:01 PM

Price seams about right for sticker. When I traded in my '07 550i two years ago, it had 62,000 miles and all the options of the one you are looking at except comfort access and I had the SMG transmission, and I got $21,500 on the trade-in. Add two more years of depreciation, 45,000 more miles, and dealer profit, and $15,000 stickers feels about right. I would think that could go for around $12,500.

However, getting into a BMW with that type of mileage, expect a decent amount of repairs (e.g. sensors, suspension, cooling system, etc. . .) and budget for them annually.

Vandalay 12-03-2012 09:36 PM

I'll chime in since my experience with a 2007 550i is fairly recent. The only major issue i had with my 07 550 was the coolant transfer pipe. That was a $2000 fix. Otherwise nothing unusual. 5k interval oil changes - no exceptions -, at 116k no new brakes or anything like that. just a new set of tires. i use premium fuel, religiously. I was lucky. I traded it in a few weeks ago against my wishes but thats another story. I know you'll like the car if you go for it. As far as price goes...who knows.

phlfly 12-04-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAI (Post 7229543)
Price seams about right for sticker. When I traded in my '07 550i two years ago, it had 62,000 miles and all the options of the one you are looking at except comfort access and I had the SMG transmission, and I got $21,500 on the trade-in. Add two more years of depreciation, 45,000 more miles, and dealer profit, and $15,000 stickers feels about right. I would think that could go for around $12,500.

However, getting into a BMW with that type of mileage, expect a decent amount of repairs (e.g. sensors, suspension, cooling system, etc. . .) and budget for them annually.

I don't think so, if we are looking at trade-in value, then its right price, but retail price or private is low. So take a look at history or hidden problems. It seems to me someone is trying to sell a car as soon as possible.

DAI, I think the case with your car, dealer had low ball you, at that time the car retail was around 30,000 for 550 with this mileage and options. SMG is extra money. I know for 100%, because my local dealer had same car but with 100,000 miles on clock and was sold for 25,000 miles.

GOR777 12-04-2012 06:33 AM

It depends on how it was driven and taken care of. Otherwise its an awesome car. Mine has about 90.000miles with no major issues.

DAI 12-04-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlfly (Post 7229962)
I don't think so, if we are looking at trade-in value, then its right price, but retail price or private is low. So take a look at history or hidden problems. It seems to me someone is trying to sell a car as soon as possible.

DAI, I think the case with your car, dealer had low ball you, at that time the car retail was around 30,000 for 550 with this mileage and options. SMG is extra money. I know for 100%, because my local dealer had same car but with 100,000 miles on clock and was sold for 25,000 miles.

We must be in completely different markets. I barely paid over $30k when I brought the car in '09 as a CPO with 34k miles. See post #7 from back in the day. Got a similar, but not quite as good, deal on my current '10 550i M-Sport CPO.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...961&highlight=

MRV99 12-04-2012 11:09 PM

The e60 prices on the high mileage cars are dropping. There is a ton of much lower milage 550's out there which are much more attractive to people and many times the high mileage once get dumped out to auctions because of the low interest.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms