Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Sacrificial cylinder? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662028)

sledge07 12-03-2012 05:44 PM

Sacrificial cylinder?

I recently heard of the notion of a sacrifical cylinder on most turbo charged engines. Is this true for the 335i (2007)? If so does it explain my needing a new coil on number three in February and a new injector on number three in November?:dunno:

CALWATERBOY 12-03-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledge07 (Post 7229171)
I recently heard of the notion of a sacrificial cylinder on most turbo charged engines. Is this true for the 335i (2007)? If so does it explain my needing a new coil on number three in February and a new injector on number three in November?

A cutting edge concept....give us a reference!

Now, so far as I know, BMW has not spec'd any sacrificial cylinders in their engines, needing all of them for locomotion as they do, perhaps now the design of yesteryear.

However. The Volkswagen Group may have done so covertly, accounting for their sluggardly performance, Bugatti excepted.

GM is reputed to be far along in development of same, in submissive compliance with Obama Administration guidelines. Ford has refused to participate.

Please keep us posted on this!!!!

Kamdog 12-03-2012 09:02 PM

Is the cylinder a virgin?

CT 12-03-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamdog (Post 7229545)
Is the cylinder a virgin?

I would tend to doubt it - rather the opposite, don't you think? Thousands of times per minute...I prefer not to imagine it too vividly.

DSXMachina 12-04-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT (Post 7229628)
I would tend to doubt it - rather the opposite, don't you think? Thousands of times per minute...I prefer not to imagine it too vividly.

Too late. What one has imagined one cannot unimagine.

The OP is kind of correct, he just has his parts mixed up a little. The sacrificial part is the HPFP. BMW designed it so that it acts much like a fuse on a circuit board. As soon as the HPFP detected a flaw anywhere in the engine it gave up the ghost so as to protect the mechanicals from further damage. The Japanese later perfected the technology (as always) by making their HPFPs act more like automatically resetting circuit breakers.
Now that BMW has bought the technology from Nippondenso there are no more HPFP failures, and all is well with N54 engines.
I have no idea how those crazy internet rumors get started.

Kamdog 12-04-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT (Post 7229628)

Not speaking for any of the gods of the internal combustion engine, but if I were one of the gods, I would insist on a virgin.