Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Turbo Noise / Rough Idle / Engine Dies (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662068)

dliang 12-03-2012 09:05 PM

Turbo Noise / Rough Idle / Engine Dies

My 2011 535i has started having a few issues, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of this:

1) Turbo used to be a lot more quiet, you can now hear the turbo spool up very loudly, no matter if the windows are closed / open. You can here it throughout acceleration and during gear changes. Is this normal? Anyone else seeing this? I'm barely at 12,000 miles, it started at around 11,000 (that or I never noticed).

2) Engine has "died" in sharp turns, the RPM is usually sitting at 500 - 600, and then just dies. Dealer has said there has been no codes, so there's nothing they can do about it. I have a 6-speed MT, and it was always on neutral when this happens. It has happened four times now.

3) The car shakes a lot during idle, and when turned off it's pretty rough. Whole car shakes, a few test cars I've driver have never done this.. It's just very rough.

4) There is a slight rattle at low speeds, seems to be coming from passenger side. Almost always happen during low (1000 - 2000) RPMs on 1 - 4th gear.

Am I just over-reacting? Has anyone else seen / experienced these issues? Any advice?

Needsdecaf 12-04-2012 05:31 AM

NO, you are not over-reacting. Something is wrong. By the sounds of it (literally) something is loose. You're hearing the turbo more, the car won't idle right and something is rattling. Although I do have a bit of a rattle here and there.

Sounds like a loose wastegate, if I had to guess. These cars return wasted boost to the intake tract, yes? If so, the increased noise and the rough running would make sense.

Bring it to the dealer and insist they fix it. Bring it to another dealer if necessary.

BTW, why are you in neutral while going through a sharp turn?

dliang 12-04-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7229903)
NO, you are not over-reacting. Something is wrong. By the sounds of it (literally) something is loose. You're hearing the turbo more, the car won't idle right and something is rattling. Although I do have a bit of a rattle here and there.

Sounds like a loose wastegate, if I had to guess. These cars return wasted boost to the intake tract, yes? If so, the increased noise and the rough running would make sense.

Bring it to the dealer and insist they fix it. Bring it to another dealer if necessary.

BTW, why are you in neutral while going through a sharp turn?

Thanks, probably just a bad habit..

MSgtMel 12-04-2012 10:43 AM

Do as Needsdecaf says. My 2011 535xi now has 24K+ on it and no abnormal sounds of any kind. Even with driving the Tail of the Dragon in it's first five hundred miles and the Back of the Dragon last week. BTW: the Back is much more challenging than the Tail.

dliang 12-24-2012 01:38 PM

Just an update.. Brought it to another dealer and they confirmed it was likely a wastegate issue, I'm not sure what they did though.. I traded it in. :)

Quacker 12-24-2012 04:02 PM

Well I guess that fixes it for good.:)

dliang 12-24-2012 04:03 PM

Haha yeah, loving my new car. :D

jygesq 12-27-2012 09:51 AM

nice fix under warranty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dliang (Post 7269254)
Just an update.. Brought it to another dealer and they confirmed it was likely a wastegate issue, I'm not sure what they did though.. I traded it in. :)

enjoy your m5

dliang 12-27-2012 11:00 AM

Thanks, they didn't care that there was an issue - since it was still under warranty - got pretty much KBB for it in "good" condition.