Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Stay with the RFT or not ? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662092)

ductman 12-04-2012 02:31 AM

Stay with the RFT or not ?
 
Currently have approx 27k on my 1 year old X, I am down to approx 5/32 on the original Michelin RFT , I am in a lease situation and I do not have the spare tire option, I will be needing tires soon and I am not happy with the lack of RFT choices in the 255/55/18 sizes,
I am not impressed with the Michelin RFT as they have become increasingly noisy since about 16k even with rotation, I am thinking of going the non RFT route but the I have the following concerns :

1. I usually take 3 trips down to South Carolina per year
2. I am assuming that if I take the Michelin's off now, I can reinstall them at lease end
and pass inspection ?
I have had only one blowout tire in the last 6 years, evn if I had this issue with a
runflat I assume I would still be SOL with the availibilty of a replacement tire. I do carry
an air compressor along with a dynaplug kit, more useful than a Slime kit IMO. Any opinions would be appreciated.

ultra300x 702 12-04-2012 09:46 AM

I would say stay with the RFT, i know they are ALOT more however having no spare tire and taking long drives i wouldnt chance it. I have a 1 yr old and being stuck or waiting on a tow in some cases isnt acceptable.

bimmerzone 12-04-2012 10:43 AM

Here is what I did, I took off my run flats while they still had enough thread to pass inspection, swapped it with non run flats, and when I am ready to sell my car, put the run flats back on :)

and of course, get a spare tire (right now its on nationwide backorder though, only available in a month or 2)

UncleJ 12-05-2012 07:37 AM

Remember if you are leasing you have to put the RFT's back on before you turn it in. There should be a lot of "spares" available from the salvage yards now that we have had some major weather disasters!:cry:

11leven 12-05-2012 10:28 PM

I switched to Conti DWS, no spare bcz of third row. Got Conti confit kit assuming that will do the tricks RFT does: 120 miles after a flat.
Just that you have to be on top of your TPMS warnings when it looses pressure.
At least you will find some one to repair a non run flats with out having to wait for 2 days.

ductman 12-06-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11leven (Post 7233810)
I switched to Conti DWS, no spare bcz of third row. Got Conti confit kit assuming that will do the tricks RFT does: 120 miles after a flat.
Just that you have to be on top of your TPMS warnings when it looses pressure.
At least you will find some one to repair a non run flats with out having to wait for 2 days.

How are the Conti DWS, I have read the sidewalls are soft, any difference in handling ?
Which size are you running ?

emh1960 12-06-2012 06:50 AM

Replacing mine today
 
I have the original bridgestone dueler hl tires on my car. I've put a lot of highway miles on my car. I bought it new in 9/2010 and got 52k out of them, even passed inspection with them 2 months ago. Drove over a curb last night, tire pressure light came on and the right front tire looked low. I then continued to drive approximately 30 miles at 35-40 mph till I got home. Did some research and decided to stay with the run flats. This is my first BMW and it just occurred to me that every other new car I have bought was delivered with terrible tires that lasted barely 15K miles. So I decided to put the exact same tires on the car. Picking it up later today. Spending 270 per tire.

MRV99 12-06-2012 07:40 AM

The non-RFT do usually ride better than RFT's. I had non-RFT's with no spare and purchased a repair kit(compressor/tire repair goo) which will work in most flat tire situations. Now if you run over a piece of metal and really gash the tire, you will be SOL. I was comfortable with that option.

ductman 12-06-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emh1960 (Post 7234133)
I have the original bridgestone dueler hl tires on my car. I've put a lot of highway miles on my car. I bought it new in 9/2010 and got 52k out of them, even passed inspection with them 2 months ago. Drove over a curb last night, tire pressure light came on and the right front tire looked low. I then continued to drive approximately 30 miles at 35-40 mph till I got home. Did some research and decided to stay with the run flats. This is my first BMW and it just occurred to me that every other new car I have bought was delivered with terrible tires that lasted barely 15K miles. So I decided to put the exact same tires on the car. Picking it up later today. Spending 270 per tire.

How are the Bridgestones in the rain, the reviews on the Bridgestone in the wet are not too good, how about the noise factor, I have the Michelins and have not been too impressed with them especially at 329 a pop.

twizzleraddict 12-06-2012 08:17 AM

I took an onramp a little faster than usual on a rainy day and the end slid out a bit on me. That's probably the last time I'll do that in the rain. :angel:

Had Bridgestone Dueler RFTs on it and only had the X5d about a week so getting used to the dynamics and feel of this over my lowered Audi A3, which is a FWD and much different dynamics.

Dirtbag 12-06-2012 10:27 AM

11lven: what is the Conti confit kit? TIA

Never mind, I found the answer on Tire Rack. Thank you

11leven 12-06-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7233914)
How are the Conti DWS, I have read the sidewalls are soft, any difference in handling ?
Which size are you running ?

DWS are soft,cushy,less noisy & obviosly less sporty compared to 20" Dunlop RFT's it replaced.
But the main complaint is with steering vibration- still feeling even after two balancing/alignment visits to correct the issue- going back again this weekend to check if the tires were defective from discount tires. 50K warranty with certificates can't be beaten.
Much more compliant driving crappy Oakland and SF roads in Bay Area with out second thought.

I've the staggered 20" Dunlop RFT's with 8500 miles available if any one interested in Bay Area,CA. They are in reasonably good shape.

11leven 12-06-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emh1960 (Post 7234133)
got 52k out of them, even passed inspection with them 2 months ago.

Wow! you must have got really nice roads in your area.

kankou 12-06-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11leven (Post 7235051)
But the main complaint is with steering vibration- still feeling even after two balancing/alignment visits to correct the issue- going back again this weekend to check if the tires were defective from discount tires.

At what speed or conditions do you experience the vibrations?

Zuma man 12-06-2012 09:26 PM

Yokahama YK580 Tires
 
Just replaced my Michelin Latitude RFTs on my 2011 X5D. Tires had 35,000 miles on them and still had some tread. I found the ride on these tires quite harsh even on 18" wheels. I switched to the new Yokahama YK580 non run flat tires. Considerably smoother ride with impressive handling. The tires are V rated with a XL (extra load) rating. Therefore, the sidewalls are less compliant than the Conti DWS. Mileage has increased from an observed mixed 24 mpg to 27 mpg. These Yokos come with a 60,000 mile warranty. They are available exclusively at America's Tire and Discount Tire chains. I purchased them in size 255x55x18 XL for $168.00 per tire.:thumbup:

11leven 12-07-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kankou (Post 7235086)
At what speed or conditions do you experience the vibrations?

Can feel the vibration at speeds above 60miles and pronounced when braking.
Today DT guys did road forced balancing and it seems to be helping- but no where close to Original Dunlop's !
Got to see if I can live with it or have to change to Mich lat HP's.

emh1960 12-11-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11leven (Post 7235054)
Wow! you must have got really nice roads in your area.

Yes I guess so. I am figuring they did so well because of the highway driving too.

emh1960 12-11-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 7234256)
How are the Bridgestones in the rain, the reviews on the Bridgestone in the wet are not too good, how about the noise factor, I have the Michelins and have not been too impressed with them especially at 329 a pop.

They are just fine in the rain. I think the road noise is a bit high when driving on the highway (need to turn up the radio) but I thought that was just because of the nature of driving a rather large suv.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms