Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   X3 2012 Runflats (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662239)

Mandeville 12-04-2012 06:35 PM

X3 2012 Runflats

BMW has warned that the X3 suspension is specifically designed for runflats and replacing them with conventional tires will result in a poorer suspension perfornance and comfort.

Should this warning just be discounted as BMW BS for the sole purpose of defending and supporting their decision to promote and fit only runflats ?

And will the X3 suspension perform just as well, or better, with good conventional tires ?

Mandeville

Evlengr 12-04-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandeville (Post 7231349)
BMW has warned that the X3 suspension is specifically designed for runflats and replacing them with conventional tires will result in a poorer suspension perfornance and comfort.

Should this warning just be discounted as BMW BS for the sole purpose of defending and supporting their decision to promote and fit only runflats ?

And will the X3 suspension perform just as well, or better, with good conventional tires ?

Mandeville

Nope they will actually blame any problems on the tires if you switch them. Shoot they blamed my transmission problems on me changing the speakers.

Greenlight 04-15-2014 12:36 PM

Beware if you switch to non-ROF's

I have a 2011 X3 wih Gooyear Eagle LS's ROF and got upset when I had to replace at 30k miles. I switched to an Eagle Sport non-ROF and immediately noticed the difference in handling. That BMW 'feel' was GONE! Wife didn't notice it but I surely did. Luckily I purchased these from a GY dealer who offered me a 30-day return offer which I took up with the him the following day. ...When you think about the phyics going on here with the stronger side-walls it does make sense when they say they've 'tuned' the car to the tire. Suspension and steering must compensate for the stiffness - take the stiffness away and you've broken the chain. ...The tires handled fine - I just didn't like the treadwear and $$$. ...Now I'm back where I started - trapped in the ROF world if I want a 'real' BMW experience.

Masterx5 04-15-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlight (Post 8279036)
I have a 2011 X3 wih Gooyear Eagle LS's ROF and got upset when I had to replace at 30k miles. I switched to an Eagle Sport non-ROF and immediately noticed the difference in handling. That BMW 'feel' was GONE! Wife didn't notice it but I surely did. Luckily I purchased these from a GY dealer who offered me a 30-day return offer which I took up with the him the following day. ...When you think about the phyics going on here with the stronger side-walls it does make sense when they say they've 'tuned' the car to the tire. Suspension and steering must compensate for the stiffness - take the stiffness away and you've broken the chain. ...The tires handled fine - I just didn't like the treadwear and $$$. ...Now I'm back where I started - trapped in the ROF world if I want a 'real' BMW experience.

The pricing on ROF is not that bad these days. I can get 4 bridgestones ROF for about 1150 including taxes if you shop around.

dudley07726 04-15-2014 04:29 PM

I like the Michelin RFT's that came on my 2012 X3. Decent ride. Much better than the RFT's that came on my 2006 Lexus SC430. That was one rough rider. That car was so much better when I switched to regular Michelin a/s sports.

Coder 04-16-2014 10:59 AM

Our 2011 was delivered with Pirelli P7 RFTs and we both like the ride. A friend recently took a short drive in the car and commented on how smooth the ride and great the handling was. She's used to Lexus and Mercedes cars. I'd classify the ride as smooth but controlled. It's certainly not harsh. My Bronco is harsh.

One thing to note: if you do like the ride and handling with the OEM RFTs, replace them with OEM RFTs. These are tire versions which meet BMW's specifications. They are marked with a five-pointed star on the sidewall. Read more at http://pictures.dealer.com/fieldsbmw...b93dea3575.pdf.

I found that, when replacing our tires at around 30K miles, our dealer was running a sale and, after including the mounting and balancing costs and convenience, they were not that far off Tire Rack's price. Tire Rack does supply OEM tires and does distinguish between those and the "regular" tire.

dudley07726 04-16-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coder (Post 8281092)
Our 2011 was delivered with Pirelli P7 RFTs and we both like the ride. A friend recently took a short drive in the car and commented on how smooth the ride and great the handling was. She's used to Lexus and Mercedes cars. I'd classify the ride as smooth but controlled. It's certainly not harsh. My Bronco is harsh.

One thing to note: if you do like the ride and handling with the OEM RFTs, replace them with OEM RFTs. These are tire versions which meet BMW's specifications. They are marked with a five-pointed star on the sidewall. Read more at http://pictures.dealer.com/fieldsbmw...b93dea3575.pdf.

I found that, when replacing our tires at around 30K miles, our dealer was running a sale and, after including the mounting and balancing costs and convenience, they were not that far off Tire Rack's price. Tire Rack does supply OEM tires and does distinguish between those and the "regular" tire.

Are you saying that the same exact tire that is on my 2013 X3 and sold at Tire rack are not the same thing?

Greenlight 04-16-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterx5 (Post 8279372)
The pricing on ROF is not that bad these days. I can get 4 bridgestones ROF for about 1150 including taxes if you shop around.

After my recent experience I will not veer from BMW's OEM choice - in this case it was Goodyear Eagle LS - and the best I could find was $1600 (total installed price). Still better than the dealer which was $1800 installed. The tires performance was good (although not so good in snow) so no real complaints about that. And I notice that this year's tires come with a higher treadlife rating (400) than my 2011 originals (250) - and I still got 30k miles out of them. ...We can only hope that BMW's gamble works and more companies adopt the ROF's so the price comes down.

The X Men 04-16-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlight (Post 8281343)
After my recent experience I will not veer from BMW's OEM choice - in this case it was Goodyear Eagle LS - and the best I could find was $1600 (total installed price). Still better than the dealer which was $1800 installed. The tires performance was good (although not so good in snow) so no real complaints about that. And I notice that this year's tires come with a higher treadlife rating (400) than my 2011 originals (250) - and I still got 30k miles out of them. ...We can only hope that BMW's gamble works and more companies adopt the ROF's so the price comes down.

I think you are the first BMW who like the Good Year Eagle LS runflats, then again, you are happy with a tire that only last 30,000 miles :)

Masterx5 04-16-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlight (Post 8281343)

I have not heard good feedback on Goodyear yet...but you are first person who said something positive. I was looking at Pirelli P7 OEM or the 3rd gen Bridgestones RE960s. Pirelli are still expensive and stealers will obviously charge more !

Want the Thrill 04-16-2014 04:32 PM

I ditched the Goodyear LS2's when they were down to 3/32 with only 15,000 miles on them. Went with Continental Extreme DWS and love them compared to the run flats.

Greenlight 04-17-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want the Thrill (Post 8281820)
I ditched the Goodyear LS2's when they were down to 3/32 with only 15,000 miles on them. Went with Continental Extreme DWS and love them compared to the run flats.

When did u buy them? As I mentioned above, mine were 2011 's. There apparently have been improvements to tread life. ...in my original post I described my experience with switching to non - ROF's - apparently yours was more positive. And I have read similar positives as well. - my aim was to counter those to make ppl think a bit more about it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Coder 04-17-2014 11:15 AM

Tire Rack and OEM Tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudley07726 (Post 8281330)
Are you saying that the same exact tire that is on my 2013 X3 and sold at Tire rack are not the same thing?

No, I'm saying that Tire Rack offers both OEM and non-OEM tires and they are pretty clear about it. With other vendors, it's not always so clear.