Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Rear alignment? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662273)

cmpcpro 12-04-2012 10:43 PM

Rear alignment?

Hey guys I am replacing my thrust rods on thursday with Meyle HD's because they are starting to wear a little.. anyway, I noticed once I put the car on the lift that lifts from the tires that the rear drivers side tire looks like it's at a bigger angle then normal.. Would that be camber right? So basically the top of the tire is going in.. is this an alignment or a bad suspension component?

Thanks!

sanhonda22 12-04-2012 11:11 PM

As the car gets raised so that the tires will eventually be lifted off the ground, the rear camber also adjust.

cmpcpro 12-05-2012 01:44 AM

Huh? I'm talking about a drive on lift.. tires are never leaving the ground, suspension is fully loaded.. basically it's a lift with two big ramps.. drive up onto it and lifts whole thing.. we have two lifts that lift car by body and drops suspension too, but this particular lift is not mine.

allaboutdaz 12-05-2012 04:14 AM

If it has that butterfly look /---\ then you have negative camber and can bet adjusted with alignment.

wjjklj 12-05-2012 08:27 AM

These cars have quite a bit of negative camber from the factory. You will see the inner edge of the tires wear out faster than the rest of the tire. Have BMW or a INDY align the car to minimize the negative camber. They will take it to around -1.0. Not everyone can align these cars. There is a specific method called for by BMW which actually loads the car at certain points with weight before aligning.

First_745Li 12-13-2012 07:50 AM

I was in the tire shop yesterday they did an inspect on my rear tires, found the inner edge wearing a little. At the time I was getting the lowering springs installed, they mentioned I might need a camber kit, after seeing the wear and the machine showing the right/rear out of spec I figured might as well address this now., They ordered a camber kit should be here in a couple of weeks. They said the car is probably "dog toeing" if I heard it right...,,

allaboutdaz 12-13-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First_745Li (Post 7247180)
I was in the tire shop yesterday they did an inspect on my rear tires, found the inner edge wearing a little. At the time I was getting the lowering springs installed, they mentioned I might need a camber kit, after seeing the wear and the machine showing the right/rear out of spec I figured might as well address this now., They ordered a camber kit should be here in a couple of weeks. They said the car is probably "dog toeing" if I heard it right...,,

I just had my car aligned and it's lowered as well... The alignment tech was able to get the alignment and camber within specs without a camber kit

First_745Li 12-13-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutdaz (Post 7247449)
I just had my car aligned and it's lowered as well... The alignment tech was able to get the alignment and camber within specs without a camber kit

I don't know if I should try another shop, I much rather spend the money on some other mods...

Expo BMW 12-13-2012 10:34 PM

Turn the tires inside out THEN switch them from drivers side to passenger. This is how I rotate my rear tires which helps them wear evenly.

allaboutdaz 12-14-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First_745Li (Post 7247508)
I don't know if I should try another shop, I much rather spend the money on some other mods...

I believe that you should because I they were able to do mine they should be able to do yours as well