Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Front License Plate Holder (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662355)

mcguigan194855 12-05-2012 11:01 AM

Front License Plate Holder
 
I just bought a 2008 328i, but I need to put a license on the front and the car doesn't have a license plate bracket. Can I buy anything or do I need a special kind? I've got lots to learn about my BMW! Thanks for any suggestions.

gpburdell 12-05-2012 11:28 AM

See if this would work: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Be a shame to f' up a front bumper with visible screw holes. Never know, you might one day get to move to an enlightened state which requires only a rear plate. :)

R608 12-05-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpburdell (Post 7232480)
See if this would work: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Be a shame to f' up a front bumper with visible screw holes. Never know, you might one day get to move to an enlightened state which requires only a rear plate. :)

+1 for that solution. I really wish the first owner of my car had insisted upon a bracket like that instead of the stock one that resulted in four holes in my bumper. :cry:

twhisten 12-05-2012 05:28 PM

Did you buy the car from a BMW dealership? If so, they should be able to supply you with one.
They also sell an aftermarket tow hook plate holder so you dont have to drill holes in the front bumper.

CALWATERBOY 12-05-2012 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcguigan194855 (Post 7232421)
I just bought a 2008 328i, but I need to put a license on the front and the car doesn't have a license plate bracket. Can I buy anything or do I need a special kind? I've got lots to learn about my BMW! Thanks for any suggestions.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/360000...2_torme300.jpg

Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072

It's been said many times, many ways....

Tow Hook plate mount, foooooor you.....

Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072Attachment 352072

http://www.usmillworks.com/Assets/BM...w_hook_300.jpg


$40 free shipping, above link. Chopper look?


.

andrew b 12-05-2012 06:27 PM

If I had to have a front plate, I'd definitely go with the tow hook plateholder.

Salvator 12-05-2012 06:54 PM

I made one for $5 worth of metal from Lowes (from instructions I found around here somewhere) and an extra tow hook I picked up at a junk yard. I don't run it daily, but keep it handy in the car for inspection purposes, and in case Johnny Law takes offense at my "clean" front end... ;)

alpinweiss 12-06-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcguigan194855 (Post 7232421)
I just bought a 2008 328i, but I need to put a license on the front and the car doesn't have a license plate bracket. Can I buy anything or do I need a special kind? I've got lots to learn about my BMW! Thanks for any suggestions.

Easy Solution. Register your car in New México, and you won't need a front plate. :D

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

:drive:

twhisten 12-06-2012 06:47 PM

Or take the front plate, run it over a few times, throw it in the trunk, and when you get pulled over tell the cop that it was knocked off and you are waiting for a new bracket to arrive......

ModBargains.com 12-06-2012 06:52 PM

We have the no holes license plate holders available. They'll mount in your tow hook and you will not need to drill those ugly holes on the front of your car!

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...te-Mount-2.jpg

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...te-Mount-1.jpg

Nordic_Kat 12-06-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcguigan194855 (Post 7232421)
I just bought a 2008 328i, but I need to put a license on the front and the car doesn't have a license plate bracket. Can I buy anything or do I need a special kind? I've got lots to learn about my BMW! Thanks for any suggestions.

OP:
Are you aware that at least here in the more civilized parts of Tejas, if you don't have holes drilled in your front bumper, the LEO's pretty much look the other way? We have a nearly 12 year old MB and my 3+ year old 328i which have never had a front plate and and have never had any issues.

FWIW: If you do get stopped by a LEO with an agenda, most counties allow for you to show up with a demonstration of your front plate "mounted" which you can accomplish with some strategically placed double faced adhesive tape.

Bottom line, fly under the radar and address only if required.

Good luck and welcome to the 'fest.

DSXMachina 12-07-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7235612)
OP:
Are you aware that at least here in the more civilized parts of Tejas, if you don't have holes drilled in your front bumper, the LEO's pretty much look the other way? We have a nearly 12 year old MB and my 3+ year old 328i which have never had a front plate and and have never had any issues.

FWIW: If you do get stopped by a LEO with an agenda, most counties allow for you to show up with a demonstration of your front plate "mounted" which you can accomplish with some strategically placed double faced adhesive tape.

Bottom line, fly under the radar and address only if required.

Good luck and welcome to the 'fest.

Kat, are you suggesting that you have never given a LEO a good reason to check you out? I know one officer who would stop you for driving while blonde. :thumbup:;):angel:

TXFred 12-07-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat (Post 7235612)
OP:
Are you aware that at least here in the more civilized parts of Tejas, if you don't have holes drilled in your front bumper, the LEO's pretty much look the other way?

"Sorry Officer. I know I need a front plate. I've ordered the bracket for it, but it's on back order in Germany."

Frederic

scbieber 06-10-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew b (Post 7233310)
If I had to have a front plate, I'd definitely go with the tow hook plateholder.

Anybody know if the tow hook option works with parking sensors? Does it make them go off all the time? The Rho-plate solution looks like it has lots of ways to mount it which implies maybe this wouldn't set off the sensors?

3two8iguy 06-10-2013 08:10 AM

Makes me sick when I think about the A**HOLE that drilled holes in my bumper,I mean what were you thinking,wtf :yikes:

bighorns 06-10-2013 08:26 AM

If I ever get a ticket I will order this one: http://www.usmillworks.com/

99328ic 06-10-2013 12:54 PM

I need to get a tow hook mount for my Z3 at some point. I had to replace the front bumper and had the holes filled in when getting painted. This was helpful seeing all the different options.

bighorns 06-10-2013 01:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZR-m7SNrrU

This would be nice because you could pop it out as the officer is walking to your car.
OFFICER: "The reason I stopped you is because the State of 'XYZ' requires a front plate to be mounted on your car, and you don't have one!"
ME: "Maybe you just didn't notice it, but I'm sure that I have one." :thumbup:

Speedwagon 06-11-2013 11:34 AM

On back order forever! :(

Teemo Panda 06-11-2013 11:38 AM

Front License Plate Holder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by R608 (Post 7233183)
+1 for that solution. I really wish the first owner of my car had insisted upon a bracket like that instead of the stock one that resulted in four holes in my bumper. :cry:

Same =_=


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

AbKosBMW11 06-11-2013 11:55 AM

I wish my freggin' dealership would consider this bracket solution vs. drilling 6-8 holes on my bumper! Arghghgh!!! Quoted a local bodyshop and they asked for $500 to fix


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms