Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   OT: 1 Car ONLY For Next 5-10yrs... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662367)

TXSTYLE 12-05-2012 10:47 AM

OT: 1 Car ONLY For Next 5-10yrs...

Simple question... One car ONLY for the next 5-10 years??? Keep in mind your family, commute to work, traveling, etc.

For me, I'm a "realist". I need a vehicle large enough to haul my family of four in comfort, style, some speed/power, and presence.

That being said:

2013 MB AMG GL63
http://desktopbackgrounds1.com/wp-co...GL63-AMG-2.jpg
http://strumors.automobilemag.com/fi...r-1024x640.jpg
http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

The hottest version of Mercedes’ big three-row SUV commands $117,830 after a $905 destination charge, representing a big step up from the next-priciest GL-Class, the $87,805 GL550 4Matic. Buyers enjoy a twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 engine good for 550 hp and 560 lb-ft, which is said to propel the GL63 AMG to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds. Other upgrades include sportier suspension components, 21-inch wheels, massaging AMG sports seats, and enlarged brakes.

At least it does have BMW tail lights. :D

*actually eyeballing a 2010 GL450 for the wifey* ;)

~ Big Marcus

cmpcpro 12-05-2012 10:54 AM

I was talking to the guy at the BMW dealership the other day.. It was at closing time and I had just bought a bunch of parts and was sitting in the showroom cars.. anyway, we were talking about all the issues our E65's have and how I felt BMW really dropped the ball, and how amazing it is people don't make a much bigger deal or try to hold BMW account for some of these BS problems.. Anyway, he said, all the new vehicles are going smaller cubic inch and forced induction, we started talking about them and when I brought up the fact that your lucky to get past 100k with our cars without spending major money he said, "Well, we are actually very curious to see how these new vehicles hold up, with the smaller engines and forced induction, and BMW's fluid change schedule and the way people treat vehicles we are very curious to see if these things actually make it to 100k!"

TXSTYLE 12-05-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmpcpro (Post 7232527)
I was talking to the guy at the BMW dealership the other day.. It was at closing time and I had just bought a bunch of parts and was sitting in the showroom cars.. anyway, we were talking about all the issues our E65's have and how I felt BMW really dropped the ball, and how amazing it is people don't make a much bigger deal or try to hold BMW account for some of these BS problems.. Anyway, he said, all the new vehicles are going smaller cubic inch and forced induction, we started talking about them and when I brought up the fact that your lucky to get past 100k with our cars without spending major money he said, "Well, we are actually very curious to see how these new vehicles hold up, with the smaller engines and forced induction, and BMW's fluid change schedule and the way people treat vehicles we are very curious to see if these things actually make it to 100k!"

Valid stuff right there!

Now which car for you? :D

~ Big Marcus

E92-Lighting 12-05-2012 11:09 AM

i still stay with BMW :)

gmcclintock 12-05-2012 11:16 AM

Haven't thought about it that much but I would still go with a car, Lexus LS, Mercedes S-Class, or BMW 7 Series....that will do great to haul my family around the wife an I in the front and my boys or boy (since one is off to college soong) in the back.

pass427 12-05-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcclintock (Post 7232599)
Haven't thought about it that much but I would still go with a car, Lexus LS, Mercedes S-Class, or BMW 7 Series....that will do great to haul my family around the wife an I in the front and my boys or boy (since one is off to college soong) in the back.

Same here but in reverse order

gmcclintock 12-05-2012 11:45 AM

lol, 7 Series prices aren't dropping fast enough for me thought thats why its in that order.

mj745 12-05-2012 11:49 AM

SUV - but don't like the looks of the Benz in the OP or any of Benz's suv lines
LX is the hottest SUV on the road. If it weren't for it's guzzling gas consumption I'd have one.

cmpcpro 12-05-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcclintock (Post 7232675)
lol, 7 Series prices aren't dropping fast enough for me thought thats why its in that order.

Well our cars dropped about a grand last month.. any faster and we'll be riding the bus..

samadkins29 12-05-2012 03:13 PM

Ive used my current 7 as a daily driver for going on 3 years now, I plan to drive it 3 more then look for something new. I think its a great all around car once you get the "need for speed" out of your system.I plan to start my own company in the next year and will have no regrets driving it to clients businesses. :) So if I had to pick a car for the next 5-10 years, I would pick the one I currently have.

canuckdon 12-05-2012 03:15 PM

+1

Seven11 12-05-2012 03:33 PM

BENTLEY Flying Spur!

Mr.750 12-05-2012 04:05 PM

Well living on a farm and having to drive through muddy fields, through cattlelots, and gravel roads for a start, I don't think any European or luxury car would work for me. I would probably have to go with an F-250 King Ranch, as the have a sexy interior and look pretty sick all around!

VA BOI 750i 12-05-2012 04:57 PM

TXSTYLE,
I would pick the same vehicle you picked. I wish they made the model with the AMG bodystyle without the engine though so I could save MPG and $$$! Lol The Audi Q7 would be my second pick for an all around family vehicle, however my big gripe about it is for the vehicle to be so big, the A8 has a much better and bigger interior in the "cockpit" than the Q7. The Navigation screen and center console just looks small to me compared to the A8. If I was to pick a sedan I would be torn between the 2013 745 LI (because I don't need the speed and I save MPG) and the 2013 Audi A8L (Interior is freaking AWESOME!).

Rookie2008 12-05-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven11 (Post 7233118)
BENTLEY Flying Spur!

+1 agreed!:D

ndabunka 12-05-2012 08:41 PM

Not certain how much of a "realist" TXTStyle is with a $117K+ vehicle as only about 5% of the population can afford one. As some on here are aware, I sold my '06 w/89K miles recently due to this decision and bought a X5 Diesel for 'realist' reasons. It hold 5 passenger's comfortably (self/wife/both boys (9&16) & occasionally G-Ma who turned 74 this past year. Being a 425 ft/lbs torque, it also has the ability to pull "stuff" VERY EASILY whether it be an enclosed trailer with a couple of Cruiser-styled bikes or a used 2007 27-foot formula boat (bought with the cash difference between the X5 and the GL)... http://boats.oodle.com/detail/2007-f...-www-_-NA-_-NA

BMW is dealing on these things RIGHT NOW and you can buy a fully equipped X5d for $55K to $60K so it's 50% of what they want for that GL. My "budget was between $45K & $70K so I DID look at the GL Diesel, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel & The Audi Q7 Diesel. The GL was simply WAY TOO BIG for being practical (for us). It has a 3rd-row seat that would be a wasted, fuel economy was ...not too good. My wife is tiny @ only 5-feet tall so although she likes driving SUV's so that she can see better, the GL was essentially WAY TOO big and she would have been nervous driving it (like she was with the 7-series)

Both the Audi & the Porsche were rated to 7K lbs which may have allowed me to consider a larger boat but to be honest, I didn't even trailer the LS-252 I owned much but rather simply left it on the lift in the slip so would probably do the same thing for my next Formula or Fountain or...:thumbup: but it would be nice to have the ability to tow it if I wanted. The other thing about the X5 is that I equipped it with all season tires so that I didn't have to continue borrowing the wife's Highlander Hybrid 4x4 for all the winter ski trips with m boys!

If money were no option & fuel prices were not projected to crest $5/gallon over the next five years, the AMG63 GL could be a contender but I have a feeling that removing financial restraint, I would rather buy the newer Porsche Cayenne Turbo S in it's place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=ApvA4FrUJkQ#!

Rookie2008 12-05-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7233656)
Not certain how much of a "realist" TXTStyle is with a $117K+ vehicle as only about 5% of the population can afford one. As some on here are aware, I sold my '06 w/89K miles recently due to this decision and bought a X5 Diesel for 'realist' reasons. It hold 5 passenger's comfortably (self/wife/both boys (9&16) & occasionally G-Ma who turned 74 this past year. Being a 425 ft/lbs torque, it also has the ability to pull "stuff" VERY EASILY whether it be an enclosed trailer with a couple of Cruiser-styled bikes or a http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...astech271.html

BMW is dealing on these things RIGHT NOW and you can buy a fully equipped X5d for $55K to $60K so it's 50% of what they want for that GL. I DID look at the GL Diesel, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel & The Audi Q7 Diesel. Both the Audi & the Porsche were rated to 7K lbs which may have allowed me to consider a larger boat but to be honest, I didn't even trailer the LS-252 I owned much but rather simply left it on the lift in the slip so would probably do the same thing for my next Formula or Fountain or...:thumbup: but it would be nice to have the ability to tow it if I wanted. The other thing about the X5 is that I equipped it with all season tires so that I didn't have to continue borrowing the wife's Highlander Hybrid 4x4 for all the winter ski trips with m boys!

*** Please excuse MY IGNORANCE****

I'm not quite sure what your hinting:dunno: but what makes you think for 1 sec this Gentleman "Cant Afford" such a vehicle? An what does your "Boat" have to do with this topic. If you can ONLY "Afford" a $55k vehicle than that's you an has nothing to do with this gentleman finances, don't you think? Once again *** Please excuse MY IGNORANCE**** as I don't quite understand your reasoning on posting such a comment:dunno:.

1bad540 12-05-2012 08:50 PM

5-10yrs...:rofl::rofl:same car??

cmpcpro 12-05-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bad540 (Post 7233681)
5-10yrs...:rofl::rofl:same car??

agreed

samadkins29 12-05-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie2008 (Post 7233679)
*** Please excuse MY IGNORANCE****

I'm not quite sure what your hinting:dunno: but what makes you think for 1 sec this Gentleman "Cant Afford" such a vehicle? An what does your "Boat" have to do with this topic. If you can ONLY "Afford" a $55k vehicle than that's you an has nothing to do with this gentleman finances, don't you think? Once again *** Please excuse MY IGNORANCE**** as I don't quite understand your reasoning on posting such a comment:dunno:.

What he is saying is that, most US families would not pick $100K+ car as a daily driver because most people don't make enough to afford that. What TX makes is only his business. What NDA was saying is that "realistically" anybody that can afford that car would not use it as a daily driver or own just one car. Its like me saying, well my car choice would be and Aston Martin Vantage. Hopefully this makes sense.

ndabunka 12-05-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie2008 (Post 7233679)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samadkins29 (Post 7233717)
What he is saying is that, most US families would not pick $100K+ car as a daily driver because most people don't make enough to afford that. What TX makes is only his business. What NDA was saying is that "realistically" anybody that can afford that car would not use it as a daily driver or own just one car. Its like me saying, well my car choice would be and Aston Martin Vantage. Hopefully this makes sense.

I didn't say anything about Marcus's ability to pay. I have known him from this forum for a long time now. I am a prior 750Li owner and you can find my picture in the "meet the owners thread". Although he did mention that he was considering buying his lovely wife a 2010 model GL, his original question was "What would YOU buy..."

He inferred this in his description of "keep in mind YOUR family, commute to work, travel, etc" which infers other things like 'recreation' which is where the boat/cycles/toys references originate (e.g. IMHO any SUV SHOULD also be capable of hauling my toys). My response was what I would do with those same $'s and that explains why I threw the $45K boat in the mix...because I ALREADY have bought my $55K X5 so I (me, myself & I) would have the extra cash I could use for an additional toy/boat. I think Marcus already knows that I already have the Motorcycle so no need for any additional $s for it.

It looks like you simply did not recognize his use of inference in his original post so no harm done here. Also note that his "follow up" comment that they were considering a 2010 model also shows that he hasn't "lost his mind" either and has no more intention of laying down $117K for the AMG than I did of laying the $143K down for the Porsche Turbo S

Rookie2008 12-05-2012 09:36 PM

Sure do:(.

sirstopher 12-06-2012 07:35 PM

Just bought a Mazda CX9 GT for my wife last week. it's not German and it will last 5-10 years with a minimum cost out of pocket for repairs.

For myself I am looking for something I don't have to spend 6k a year to just get it started in my driveway. I love my BMW there has been nothing really that has even come close in comfort. I am the big nut between the wheel and the pedals and our cars give a great road feel and that has been priceless for me.

I am not sure what I am going to do yet, I would love a B7 and if I buy another 7 that's what I will get. On the other hand I really like the M1, car is a freaking blast to drive.

So in closing my car of choice would be without price in mind a new Jaguar XKR-S Coupe.

albertoxikitin 12-07-2012 06:22 PM

Me encanta ese mercedes....Compratelo si puedes y disfrutalo Marcus!!!!

TXSTYLE 12-07-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertoxikitin (Post 7237067)
Me encanta ese mercedes....Compratelo si puedes y disfrutalo Marcus!!!!

Jaja! Gracias mi amigo, mi esposa probablemente conseguirá la GL450. ;)

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE