Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Fog lights on M Sport Package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662713)

ntocamping 12-07-2012 06:45 AM

Fog lights on M Sport Package

I see some pics with fog lights and some without fog lights on the 2013 F30 with M bumper. Are fog lights a dealer installed option or something? Personally I like the look of the M sport bumper but also like having fog lights in the bumper. I had a 2006 Acura TL where the fogs were part of the headlamps and I just thought it made the car look cheap when every $13k car on the road had dedicated fogs built into the bumper. Personal preference I know but a pet peeve. tks for clarifying.

SamS 12-07-2012 06:56 AM

Fog lights on F30 M-sport are a non-USA feature. BMW said the US had more hot climate, and removed the fogs for better cooling. I think the car looks better without fogs. Fog light color matches neither the color of the LED DRL, nor the Xenon headlights. Just clutters things.

ntocamping 12-07-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamS (Post 7235934)
Fog light color matches neither the color of the LED DRL, nor the Xenon headlights. Just clutters things.

Agreed that stock does not match which is why I also change out the fog bulbs with a 6k or whiter light to match. I wonder if the wiring is there since they install them on the Euro models. Would make for a easier retrofit if they had it wired but doubt they will. IMO they will add them in a year or two just like Acura did with the 2007 TL and Infiniiti with the G37.

SamS 12-07-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntocamping (Post 7235958)
Agreed that stock does not match which is why I also change out the fog bulbs with a 6k or whiter light to match. I wonder if the wiring is there since they install them on the Euro models. Would make for a easier retrofit if they had it wired but doubt they will. IMO they will add them in a year or two just like Acura did with the 2007 TL and Infiniiti with the G37.

I don't think the wiring is there. I also don't think they will add them. BMW has been removing fogs from their higher-end cars in the US for some time now. Less upscale, I dunno?

M_terkait 07-10-2013 12:17 PM

I have foglights as standard although my car has hot climate specs
anyone know if its possible to be removed by the dealer?

rdkind62 07-10-2013 01:24 PM

The answer to the question is no the M-Sport package will not have fog lights.

mrstas 07-10-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_terkait (Post 7702169)

M_terkait - do you have a radiator behind each fog light? Or only one behind the passenger side fog light?

tturedraider 07-10-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstas (Post 7703072)
M_terkait - do you have a radiator behind each fog light? Or only one behind the passenger side fog light?

Will be interesting to here this answer.

OP, the M Sport in the U.S. adds a small auxiliary radiator behind the bumper on the driver's side in addition to the oil cooler that is present on the passenger side. The stated reason in the U.S. for the lack of fog lights is to increase air flow and improve engine cooling.

M_terkait 07-10-2013 11:50 PM

M_terkait 07-11-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstas (Post 7703072)

only one behind the passenger side fog light

i haven't noticed that lol i thought i had no radiators at all :jawdrop:
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_0385.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_0382.jpg

LarryboysUDM 07-11-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_terkait (Post 7702169)

Standard or dealer installed?

OBS3SSION 07-11-2013 06:11 AM

Fog lights are standard on F30 sedans with the M Sport package everywhere except the US market. They were omitted for "cooling reasons". Apparently, to accommodate the second small radiator mentioned above.

Which makes the next bit of info even more confusing: US market F31 wagons with M Sport GET the fog lights that the sedans don't! I've verified this in person at a dealership when test driving an F31 M Sport. However, I didn't think to look closely to see if there were small radiators behind each light or only one.

Ayrton_E92 07-11-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7703372)
Will be interesting to here this answer.

OP, the M Sport in the U.S. adds a small auxiliary radiator behind the bumper on the driver's side in addition to the oil cooler that is present on the passenger side. The stated reason in the U.S. for the lack of fog lights is to increase air flow and improve engine cooling.

In the US and elsewhere, the M Sport has no additional cooling equipment installed. It retains the standard radiator, radiator fan, oil cooler and intercooler; there is no additional radiator in the front fascia.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 335is?

HokieXDriver 07-11-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayrton_E92 (Post 7704905)
In the US and elsewhere, the M Sport has no additional cooling equipment installed. It retains the standard radiator, radiator fan, oil cooler and intercooler; there is no additional radiator in the front fascia.

Not true.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787056

tturedraider 07-11-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, there is.

mrstas 07-11-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

You are incorrect. There is a US-only additional radiator installed in the driver's side.

Here's a link to the parts diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=17&fg=05

This additional M Sport only radiator IS NOT installed anywhere else in the world. They get foglights. Even in the Middle East and Australia, where they regularly have hotter temperatures than most of the US.

HokieXDriver 07-11-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBS3SSION (Post 7703637)
Fog lights are standard on F30 sedans with the M Sport package everywhere except the US market. They were omitted for "cooling reasons". Apparently, to accommodate the second small radiator mentioned above.

Which makes the next bit of info even more confusing: US market F31 wagons with M Sport GET the fog lights that the sedans don't! I've verified this in person at a dealership when test driving an F31 M Sport. However, I didn't think to look closely to see if there were small radiators behind each light or only one.

They may not expect wagons to be driven as hard, perhaps?

lab_rat 07-11-2013 05:52 PM

Re: Fog lights on M Sport Package

Hmm... I wonder the rationale behind it being a US only installed part then.

Sent from my SHW-M250S using BimmerApp mobile app

OBS3SSION 07-12-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lab_rat (Post 7704960)
Hmm... I wonder the rationale behind it being a US only installed part then.

Sent from my SHW-M250S using BimmerApp mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to liability. "My car overheated. Sue BMW!!!" :rolleyes:

HokieXDriver 07-13-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBS3SSION (Post 7705727)
I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to liability. "My car overheated. Sue BMW!!!" :rolleyes:

Unlikely. BMW does hot-weather testing of its cars here in the US, specifically in Death Valley. They almost certainly discover behavior in our weather that they know they have to work around.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=861614

Bratters123 07-13-2013 10:54 AM

Fog lights on M Sport Package

Thank god that the UK has crap weather. Fog lights enhance the M Sport looks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

HokieXDriver 07-13-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratters123 (Post 7708008)
Thank god that the UK has crap weather. Fog lights enhance the M Sport looks.

That's one opinion. It isn't mine.