Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   BMW prey for this new ride? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662728)

CALWATERBOY 12-07-2012 08:23 AM

BMW prey for this new ride?

Mercedes CLA....could this be it?

In a stunning move, they say it's a "highly stylized four-door coupe."

4 door coupe. How's that work?

The car....

Gotta say tho - concept looks light years better than the street photos. Too bad if the latter's production - loser.

voip-ninja 12-07-2012 08:30 AM

A7 is a four door coupe.

CALWATERBOY 12-07-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7236119)
A7 is a four door coupe.

VAG. How typical - calling a sedan something sportier.

>SNIFF<

boltjaM3s 12-07-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7236104)

http://www.sevencars.es/imagesdb/not...sSerie6_11.jpg

You build a coupe. You squeeze two extra doors on it.

You wind up with a practical 4-door car for someone dying for a low-roofed, sleek coupe. The 6 Gran Coupe, above.

I like the look of the new F32 better than the F30 but am in the F30 because I've got kids and can't live with a 2-door. If BMW ever came out with an F32 Gran Coupe I'd buy that. Even though the back would be a bit cramped for the kids I'd wind up with a sleeker car that makes dad happier.

BJ

chris328 12-07-2012 08:54 AM

kind of looks like it is trying too hard.

beden1 12-07-2012 09:00 AM

I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. It reminds me of the concept cars you'd see at major car shows years ago. This and the F32 do make the F30 look dated already if you're into futuristic designs.

I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to car designs. Many of these ultra modern designs seem to wear out their welcome sooner than later.

dtc100 12-07-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

The car....

Gotta say tho - concept looks light years better than the street photos. Too bad if the latter's production - loser.

Wow, that is a serious butchering of the concept.

tturedraider 12-07-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

The car....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7236125)

>SNIFF<

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7236136)
http://www.sevencars.es/imagesdb/not...sSerie6_11.jpg

You wind up with a practical 4-door car for someone dying for a low-roofed, sleek coupe. The 6 Gran Coupe, above.

I like the look of the new F32 better than the F30 but am in the F30 because I've got kids and can't live with a 2-door. If BMW ever came out with an F32 Gran Coupe I'd buy that. Even though the back would be a bit cramped for the kids I'd wind up with a sleeker car that makes dad happier.

BJ

There's an F36 4 Series Gran Coupe on the way. There are photos/renderings posted in this forum.

bmw_or_audi 12-08-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

The concept of a 4-door coupe in modern times was introduced with the MB CLS almost 7-8 years ago. VW copied it with the CC. Where have you guys been? There is a whole automotive world outside of BMW :D

bmw_or_audi 12-08-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 7236136)

BJ

Alternatively, you can take a sedan and slope down the rear side of the roof to end up with a 4-door coupe, which is I think what MB did with the CLS.

It looks cool, but it is not as practical as a regular 4-door, since you get a rather low roof for back passengers and rear visibility gets compromised a little too.

bmw_or_audi 12-08-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7236125)

>SNIFF<

Not a VAG invention at all. I found this nice description on wikipedia:

Four-door coupé

A luxury sedan with classic coupé-like proportions, also known as a totally new class of coupe. The low roof design reduces back seat passenger access and headroom.[12] The designation was first applied to a low-roof model of the Rover P5 from 1962 until 1973,[13] but was revived by the 1985 Toyota Carina ED, the 1992 Infiniti J30 and finally by the first model 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLS, which stands in Mercedes hierarchy between the E and S class, and has appearance of a classic coupe and sedan. The term was also used partly from marketing reasons. German press accepted concept of four-door coupe and adopted it to similar models from other manufacturers such as 2009 Jaguar XJ.[14][15][16][17] Also, other manufacturers accepted it, producing recent competing models like Volkswagen Passat CC, BMW_F12 and even five-door coupe, Audi A7.[18] The organization ADAC on its website also adopted this concepts.[19] In Germany the definition of the coupe was finally divided into the classic coupe and 4-door coupe. This definition and concept of four-door coupe (instead of sedan) are evident in Germany, but they are not yet widely known in the rest of the world.