Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New to Forum - Fuel Injector recall?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662744)

awj001 12-07-2012 10:49 AM

New to Forum - Fuel Injector recall??

hi all, new to the forum today

i have a 2008 335i purchased from a dealer in Chicago in 2010. it had the California buy back/lemon on the title for the Fuel Pump Recall.

Car has been excellent, recently noticed some sputtering issues on a cold start and brought it in to the same dealer today assuming it was related to that fuel pump recall that was performed which carries a 100k warranty. my standard warranty expired, and i have 67k on it now.

Dealer just notified me and told me i had 1 bad injector, and that i should replace all 6 at a cost of 1800 - OUCH!

Can anyone offer any advice on this or any backup info to help support my plea to have this covered under that recall warranty??

my vin: WBAVB73538VH26241.

Leekay07 12-07-2012 11:00 AM

your injectors not going to fix the issue. :(

This is the month to bring all this to light so it seems.

I too had the same issue. Hesitation rough idle and cold starts followed by misfires and eventually Service Engine Soon light. All this because my intake valves where fouled up something bad. Before you ok the replacement ask them if they offer a service to clean the intake valves. at 67,000 miles your well overdue a clean.

DSXMachina 12-07-2012 11:01 AM

First, no need to replace all 6 injectors. Was the injector recall done on this car or not? If not you might want to see if you can get a goodwill repair compromise. If it was, then try running some Techron thru the system with some good highway miles to burn up a tank of gas.
Second, $1800 for 6 injectors is what I fantasize making in my next life. You need to get an indy to do it using BMW parts for significantly less money.

Leekay07 12-07-2012 11:02 AM

I had 3 injectors replaced for 450. Didn't help the car one bit.

DSXMachina 12-07-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leekay07 (Post 7236308)
your injectors not going to fix the issue. :(

This is the month to bring all this to light so it seems.

I too had the same issue. Hesitation rough idle and cold starts followed by misfires and eventually Service Engine Soon light. All this because my intake valves where fouled up something bad. Before you ok the replacement ask them if they offer a service to clean the intake valves. at 67,000 miles your well overdue a clean.

Well Leekay, we're jumping the gun a little to say it's carbon fouling when the problem was identified as a bad injector. No doubt you may be right, but calling the dealer wrong, without evidence, isn't the right way to go.

awj001 12-07-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7236311)
First, no need to replace all 6 injectors. Was the injector recall done on this car or not? If not you might want to see if you can get a goodwill repair compromise. If it was, then try running some Techron thru the system with some good highway miles to burn up a tank of gas.
Second, $1800 for 6 injectors is what I fantasize making in my next life. You need to get an indy to do it using BMW parts for significantly less money.

thank you - the fuel pump recall was done before i got the car but i dont think any injectors were replaced, i'm also trying to figure out if there is a true injector recall out there that i can take advantage of. thanks for the advice on the techron as well.

Leekay07 12-07-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 7236318)
Well Leekay, we're jumping the gun a little to say it's carbon fouling when the problem was identified as a bad injector. No doubt you may be right, but calling the dealer wrong, without evidence, isn't the right way to go.

OP

Does it only happen on days when temps are below 37.

The dealers have a terrible way of diagnosing this issue and I have the bills to prove it and not from just one shop.

Here is how I showed it to the dealer besides the SES light.

Once you have your injector replaced find a stretch of road with 55-65 limit and if your in a Auto the best way to make it show its ugly head is to get to 25-30mph and then put the selector in to manual override and put the car in 5th gear. Now gas it as much as you can without hitting the last 1/3 of the travel (forces the car to wide open throttle in the current gear). Beyond this point tells the car to change down to the lowest possible gear. Keep it pegged till you feel its unsafe. You should experience some stutter / hesitation at this point.

Take the car back and ask them to service the intake valves. If you don't tell them they will run diagnostics and end up costing you a hell of a lot more.

If you do have a bad injector this would not cause the misfire. It just means it leaks and there is no way on earth a leaking injector causes your car to misfire when its cold.

Leekay07 12-07-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awj001 (Post 7236351)
thank you - the fuel pump recall was done before i got the car but i dont think any injectors were replaced, i'm also trying to figure out if there is a true injector recall out there that i can take advantage of. thanks for the advice on the techron as well.

Mine is a 08 and mine was not covered in the recall. The injectors mainly covered the 07 model.