Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Electric Shaver? Reviews.... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662940)

Guest091814 12-08-2012 12:39 PM

Best Electric Shaver? Reviews....

Who here rocks an electric shaver? I'm leaving the country again and I think it would be more convenient to carry and use an electric shaver rather than blades.
Reviews here would be great

Currently I use a triple blade razor by Gillette.
Cons:
- I only use each one once, twice at most.
- I need to lather my face with warm water for a while before using.
- Takes 10 minutes to shave
- I can't shave for 2 consecutive days in a row. (Sometimes 3)

Pros:
- I can get a super clean shave, usually comes with cuts

Not sure what electric shavers can provide but I hope...
- they can give a close shave almost as good as a razor blade
- I can preferably shave for 2 consecutive days without pain
- I can get to shave dry without pain
- I can shave in the bedroom if needed, without beard hairs falling about

I'd google reviews but 95% of the time the reviews are fake and/or promoted to amplify a particular brand/model.

cwsqbm 12-08-2012 12:47 PM

I've been happy with my Braun 7 series. Of all the electrics I've had, it gives the best shave. Not quite as close as a blade, but I can use it every day. My skin won't tolerate a blade every day. Its also much faster. The first one I had was one of the self-cleaning models (it got stolen out of my checked bag while traveling). I replaced it with a lower end 7 series that cuts just as well. The foil and cutter seem to last a very long time too.

Spike Holmes 12-08-2012 02:38 PM

Panasonic ES8109 Wet/Dry. I've had it for a couple of years. I can get about as close to a blade shave as I've ever had. I like it because I can shave in the shower to give me more time under the water. Then I just trim up my sideburns in the mirror afterwards. It is self cleaning but, after about 4 months, I just charge it without doing the whole cleaning thing. I do rinse it in the shower pretty regularly.

johnc_22 12-08-2012 03:24 PM

I also have a Braun, 9 Series I think, and it's good but not as good as a real triple blade for a really smooth shave. I still use it most days as it's good enough and save blade shaves for date nights, etc.

MMME30W 12-08-2012 03:57 PM

Norelco triple head from Costco, maybe $75? I really dont recall. It also has a sideburn trimmer, which is also useful in areas other than, ah, sideburns; providing one is exceptionally careful.:bigpimp:

MatWiz 12-08-2012 05:24 PM

Gillette Fusion. The one WITH the battery. Can also double as a mini vibrator when you have company. Just remover the blades first. :rofl:

csmeance 12-08-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj745 (Post 7238037)
Who here rocks an electric shaver? I'm leaving the country again and I think it would be more convenient to carry and use an electric shaver rather than blades.

Cons:

Pros:

I'd google reviews but 95% of the time the reviews are fake and/or promoted to amplify a particular brand/model.

I'm a shaving enthusiast and have probably used more razors, blades, etc combos in my life then you've probably shaved! :bigpimp:

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, an electric shaver is one of the worst ways to shave. Yes it doesn't cause much abrasions but the frustration with cutting hair and getting it cut properly is a nightmare. Here is a picture of of hair cut using a wet blade (IE Saftey Razor, Straight edge, Mach 3, etc)
http://i.imgur.com/pfhuX.png

I started out using an early type of Norelco shaver and when I was young and used it until Gillette gave me a Mach 3 as a 21'st present. That's when I actually started learning about shaving and such and got really into it.

If you want a good ELECTRIC razor, I'd have to say the top of the line Braun razors have always been good. Their foils and stuff are pretty good.

But if you want something good for your body and something that's actually relaxing, pick up a good double edge safety razor, good shaving creme & brush and a variety pack of blades and you'll be set for decades! I can use a blade per shave (10 cents a blade average) and have a WONDERFUL shave with no pulling, tugging, etc and have my face as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I could accomplish the same with a Gilette Fusion Razor but I'd be going through hundreds of dollars worth of blades. In reality those blades are only good for 5-6 ACTUAL shaves with a TON of creme and such. For me, I can use them only once or twice before it starts pulling hairs and becoming rough.

drivinfaster 12-08-2012 05:56 PM

don't use one now, but when i did use one one i liked the wet/dry units since i find it's easier to shave in the shower. now i simply use a twin blade. once the triples and quads came to market their prices seemed to dip.

i do have a cheapy battery operated foil unit i keep in the truck for touchups if needed, but seldom gets used.

df

MatWiz 12-08-2012 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 7238412)
I'm a shaving enthusiast and have probably used more razors, blades, etc combos in my life ......

I know a guy who makes these as a hobby....

Maybe you know him.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1355021441

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1355021441

drivinfaster 12-08-2012 06:59 PM

wow those are pretty!! does he do all of the wood tooling himself?? blades??

was shaved with a straightrazor twice in my life. both times was for a friends mom to get her cosmo license. didn't do a very good job either time, but i didn't get cut, either...

df

MatWiz 12-08-2012 07:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drivinfaster (Post 7238498)
wow those are pretty!! does he do all of the wood tooling himself?? blades??

was shaved with a straightrazor twice in my life. both times was for a friends mom to get her cosmo license. didn't do a very good job either time, but i didn't get cut, either...

df

He does all the wood work, lathe, etc. Then he does the coating with a various types of exotic oils, epoxies, etc. The blades come from the customer or he buys them. He's also doing pens, espresso machines handles, knobs, etc. (that's how I know him), and some other random stuff like custom rifle stock, etc. He likes exotic wood and burls especially.

This one is stunning.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...9&d=1355023310

And this one.. :yikes:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1355023310

And a brush & blade set.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1355022911

Oscar 12-09-2012 11:52 AM

I never thought I would be sharing grooming tips...

I have been using a Braun 7 series for perhaps 8 or 9 years now. It gives decent shaves. It does not shave as close as a blade nor an old Philishave rotary shaver that I have. I am fine with a not getting a really close shave. I have sensitive skin and can be prone to ingrown hair. If I shave too close, I can get ingrown hairs. My next shaver will be one where I can adjust the shaver so that I even less of a close shave in an attempt to eliminate ingrown hairs.

Recently, I have noticed that the charge does not hold as long as it used to. (Strangely, after a recent 4 hour flight, the freshly charged battery was dead on arrival at my destination.) A good thing about a foil shaver like the Braun is that you can use it to edge up against a goatee. You can't really do this with a rotary.

My shaver comes with some kind of a system that both charges and cleans the blades with a solution. I have long ago not bothered with the cleaning solution. I don't like the smell of the chemical and found that it irritates my face.

An issue with rotary and foil shavers are stray hairs. If you miss shaving the odd hair and gets to a certain length, it is almost impossible for the shaver to cut long hairs, whereas a blade will not have this issue.

Your idea that you can shave anywhere is true. However ground up hair and dust from the razor drops everywhere.

Guest091814 12-09-2012 04:42 PM

Everyone's input was super helpful thanks a million. I've narrowed my choice down to the Braun 7 ($230), Philips Sensotouch 3D Wet/Dry ($300), and the Panasonic 5-Blade Wet/Dry Shaver ($600)

Oscar, with the hair/dust from razor dropping everywhere do you think that applies to all electric shavers or yours in particular?

Oscar 12-09-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj745 (Post 7239759)
Oscar, with the hair/dust from razor dropping everywhere do you think that applies to all electric shavers or yours in particular?

I will try my rotary and let you know. Though I suspect that all razors will have leakage of whisker residue to some extent. I don't see how any razor can contain all whisker cuttings.

drivinfaster 12-09-2012 08:12 PM

every electric razor i have used has left some sort of shaving debris, be it rotory or foil.

and those handles are niiiice!!! :thumbup:

df

Oscar 12-10-2012 07:53 AM

Confirmed that my rotary does drop shavings, though not nearly as much as my foil. Best of luck in your decision.

Guest091814 12-10-2012 08:01 AM

:thumbup: awsome bud thnx

cwinter 12-10-2012 08:17 AM

I have had a Panasonic for over 2 years now and love it. After running through a few Norelcos and one cheap Braun, I couldn't be happier with it. If you want to be more cost-effective, I would ditch the cleaning systems. They take up nothing but counter space and require refill cartridges. Since you can rinse a wet/dry shaver, I don't see how much cleaner you need the thing to be.

I have the Panasonic ES8243A which you can get for about $100 on sale. I rinse it after every use and from time to time soak the foil with cover in mild soapy water. No issues ever and have yet to replace the blades on this baby. Only downside is that it lasts only about 50 minutes on a charge, but it does charge super quick. I can get about 8-10 shaves in per charge. Great razor!

cmac2012 12-10-2012 08:53 AM

I've been using the Remington DA307 rechargeable for years. I get a bit of rash using a blade on my upper lip and chin, basically the whole goatee area, giving me a clue as to why some men wear a goatee. I carry the 307 in my car so I can shave while driving. Sound tells you when you're cutting and not. The pop up sideburn trimmer is more useful for getting the long hairs that escape the foil cutter. If I use it everyday, I can stay ahead of needing a blade, but a few hairs will escape and get long, at which point the foil part usually won't get them. If I miss a day or two, the only real solution is to use a blade and get back to square one, and then go with the electric as long as I can.

For awhile, I could buy them new on ebay for about $25, which is about what new foils cost. The sideburn trimmer gets dull a bit too quickly and there is no replacement blade for that, so buying a new or reconditioned unit is a good way to go. Re-cons are about $25 now with shipping.

Alpine300ZHP 12-10-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj745 (Post 7238037)

Cons:

Pros:

My experience tells me that electric shavers do not work well. Unless you have a very coarse beard they miss hair all the time. I just use a decent disposable blade for the best possible shave.

Bombay Jay 12-10-2012 01:12 PM

I have been using a Braun 8595 with the cleaning and charging stand. I have never had much luck with razors and shaving cream. Seems like I am always getting nicked or something. I love this electric razor. It can still hold a charge for a good two week trip. And when you clean it it is like shaving with a brand new shaver. I do not clean it every night(just push a button) but every second or third night. Does a great job.

jw 01-08-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 7238412)
But if you want something good for your body and something that's actually relaxing, pick up a good double edge safety razor, good shaving creme & brush and a variety pack of blades and you'll be set for decades! I can use a blade per shave (10 cents a blade average) and have a WONDERFUL shave with no pulling, tugging, etc and have my face as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I could accomplish the same with a Gilette Fusion Razor but I'd be going through hundreds of dollars worth of blades. In reality those blades are only good for 5-6 ACTUAL shaves with a TON of creme and such. For me, I can use them only once or twice before it starts pulling hairs and becoming rough.

The wife got me a double edge safety razor for Christmas. I've always been a blade shaver using the Mach3 but was always pissed at the cost of the cartridges. The Merkur razor has been great. Trying out a variety of blades she bought me on Amazon. Razor + 100 blades was ~$50 total.

For me it's a ritual. Always shave in the shower unless traveling. Warm the face, clean the face (Born to be Mild), use pre-shave oil (Kiehl's), use cream with brush (Art of Shaving unscented), shave, repeat lather and shave, rinse with cold water, pat dry face and apply after shave balm (Kiehl's). Super close shave, never have razor burn, ingrown hairs or any other issues. Whole process takes about 5 minutes. So far, one blade has been lasting me a week. Haven't been nicked once.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SL._SY300_.jpghttp://shop.trumans-nyc.com/images/p...s_preshave.jpghttp://www.sephora.com/productimages...-main-hero.jpghttp://couturelite.com/wp-content/up...ing-review.jpghttp://img0032.popscreencdn.com/2167...ge-safety-.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...HL._SY300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

1985mb 01-08-2013 08:28 PM

What's good for a trim? These days I don't shave everyday anymore but when I need to 'reset' I'd rather go back to a minor stubble than a clean shave

jw 01-08-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985mb (Post 7299990)
What's good for a trim? These days I don't shave everyday anymore but when I need to 'reset' I'd rather go back to a minor stubble than a clean shave

I use a Wahl trimmer. The bulk of the trimmers I've used die out after a year or two. Wahl tends to run strong for a long time.

Bill325Ci 01-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMME30W (Post 7238282)
Norelco triple head from Costco, maybe $75? I really dont recall. It also has a sideburn trimmer, which is also useful in areas other than, ah, sideburns; providing one is exceptionally careful.:bigpimp:

+1, generally $70 - $75.