Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   piece of metal in run flats (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662943)

RockChips 12-08-2012 01:14 PM

piece of metal in run flats

Ok so I bought this car used.

Is there any tire hazard warranty that is transferred over?

ndabunka 12-08-2012 06:25 PM

Doubtful but shouldn't you be asking that of the prior owner rather than a forum? :dunno: Road Hazard is NOT a part of ANY manufacturer's warranty program

ard 12-08-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7238458)
Doubtful but shouldn't you be asking that of the prior owner rather than a forum? :dunno: Road Hazard is NOT a part of ANY manufacturer's warranty program

Thats not true as I recall. Michelin had a policy for a period of time for their ZFT tires. Someone else may have as well. It was discussed here a few times.

OP, you need to read the policies on the CD that should have come with the manuals/in the glove box.

Is the tire ruined??? If it is just a simple puncture, DONT DRIVE ON IT, bring it to "not a BMW dealer" and they can patch it. (Provided it is in the 'face' of the tread, between the two major tread grooves.)

If you need a new tire, tirerack- one tire if you are over 50% tread, probably 2 if under. OR, ebay, and get a matching '50-60%' for $50. Run that until you need new tires all around

GL

A

CK530 12-08-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7238458)

ndabunka,

Great post regarding Conti DWS tire review at the xbimmers.com. Very helpful:thumbup:

I switched my Bridgestone RFT after 100 miles to Conti DWS. I tried to have dealer switch before delivery, CA mentioned don't bother.....it'll cost me big $$$. So I went to my local tire guy, $1K including mount/balance.

As for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS Road Hazard warranty, this is what stated in the warranty booklet:

"This Road Hazard Coverage applies to all Continental Branded tires that are purchased as replacement market tires and is a promise of replacement under certain specified conditions as detailed below. When an eligible tire is damaged during the first 2/32nds of an inch of treadwear or first 12 months from date of purchase, whichever came first, the tire will be replaced with a comparable Continental brand tire free of charge."

Also, I have a 60 Day Customer Satisfaction Trial. If I'm not happy with the DWS tires, I can request another Conti tires as replacement.

I do have one question, the X5 is pulling to the left when I let go of the steering wheel. Is this an alignment problem?

11leven 12-09-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK530 (Post 7238672)
ndabunka,

Great post regarding Conti DWS tire review at the xbimmers.com. Very helpful:thumbup:

I switched my Bridgestone RFT after 100 miles to Conti DWS. I tried to have dealer switch before delivery, CA mentioned don't bother.....it'll cost me big $$$. So I went to my local tire guy, $1K including mount/balance.

As for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS Road Hazard warranty, this is what stated in the warranty booklet:

"This Road Hazard Coverage applies to all Continental Branded tires that are purchased as replacement market tires and is a promise of replacement under certain specified conditions as detailed below. When an eligible tire is damaged during the first 2/32nds of an inch of treadwear or first 12 months from date of purchase, whichever came first, the tire will be replaced with a comparable Continental brand tire free of charge."

Also, I have a 60 Day Customer Satisfaction Trial. If I'm not happy with the DWS tires, I can request another Conti tires as replacement.

I do have one question, the X5 is pulling to the left when I let go of the steering wheel. Is this an alignment problem?

BMW charged $199 for alignment and still has pulling and worst part is steering was not centered. Two visits back to back to correct and still myn pulls to right on the left most lane of highway telling me this is not a road curve issue. Obviously, no warranty on alignment once you leave dealer lot- next time align will be with a local shop who at least willing to do a road test and correct the issue.
Conti dws are soft on sidewalls and you will def feel the diff in handling compared to RFTs.
Certificates cost 20bucks each tire for 50k miles warranty from discount tires - with free rotation and balancing if you have square setup.
I'm told my staggered setup can be rotated side to side with DWS- not sure if that can be done. I only had them now for 300miles.

ard 12-09-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11leven (Post 7239078)
BMW charged $199 for alignment and still has pulling and worst part is steering was not centered. Two visits back to back to correct and still myn pulls to right on the left most lane of highway telling me this is not a road curve issue. Obviously, no warranty on alignment once you leave dealer lot- next time align will be with a local shop who at least willing to do a road test and correct the issue.
Conti dws are soft on sidewalls and you will def feel the diff in handling compared to RFTs.
Certificates cost 20bucks each tire for 50k miles warranty from discount tires - with free rotation and balancing if you have square setup.
I'm told my staggered setup can be rotated side to side with DWS- not sure if that can be done. I only had them now for 300miles.

FYI... New car has a 2000 mile warranty on the alignment...

Post up the alignment sheet, should be clear what's up...

RockChips 12-11-2012 02:15 PM

yeah definitely post the alignment sheet. I'm curious.

11leven 12-19-2012 08:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7239656)
FYI... New car has a 2000 mile warranty on the alignment...

Post up the alignment sheet, should be clear what's up...

Thanks...
Attaching both the sheets with two days apart.