Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Idrive Message (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663117)

10Go 12-09-2012 03:09 PM

Idrive Message

Hello all.
So I got the car back from the dealer for my "recharge battery" message, radio that comes on at will and my transmission bumping and clunking along with this message in the idrive "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." They had the car for a week and all they did was replace the battery. The said they found no codes for the transmission.

Has anyone else had this message -"The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." and if so how did you get The dealership to address it?

SuperSnoop 12-09-2012 03:31 PM

A bad battery can throw some strange messages. I would tend to believe them if that's all they said was wrong.

10Go 12-09-2012 03:53 PM

That's what madding. They replaced the battery and today that message came up on the Idrive again. I can't say it's a money game. I have a warranty on it but having had complained about this for the entire year I've have the 7 is frustrating.

SuperSnoop 12-09-2012 06:47 PM

Could be the alternator. The symptoms tend to be the same.

Seven11 12-09-2012 08:46 PM

i always had that message, trans swicthes to P when car is off.. or something like that

thats normal... no need to worry about it, unless its doing something weird

10Go 01-07-2013 01:36 PM

***Update***
The dealership replaced the battery (again) and said it was bad. That was the cause of my tranny issue. And also per the BMW Tech, the reason I got the "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." Was due to pressing and holding the "start" button to turn off and park the car. He said it was a huge "NONO". The proper way is the put the car in park then press the button. *sigh*

7Rage 01-08-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10Go (Post 7296634)
***Update***
Was due to pressing and holding the "start" button to turn off and park the car. He said it was a huge "NONO". The proper way is the put the car in park then press the button. *sigh*

There is a recall for this exact problem..... ask them if your car is affected...

10Go 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

I have a favor to ask you guys...

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." message. Whereas it would show up at random times, I can get the car to show me every time now and I wanted you guys with 02-04's, not sure if the newer 7's have the "key fob eject" option to try it. After the car was parked, I'd "double" tap the start/stop, holding it on the second tap. The message would show. Could you guys try it to see if you get the message? If you guys don't then I would think it's a glitch or my "Start" switch.

7Rage 01-14-2013 12:25 PM

why double tap.... i jsut hold mine the first time and it shuts off and ejects key... that double tapping is what a lot of people do and they issued a recall for it not shifting in to park when its done liek that....its not a zombie lmao no need to double tap... mine is a 2007 tho

Piers1989 01-14-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7Rage (Post 7312721)
why double tap.... i jsut hold mine the first time and it shuts off and ejects key... that double tapping is what a lot of people do and they issued a recall for it not shifting in to park when its done liek that....its not a zombie lmao no need to double tap... mine is a 2007 tho

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

If you just hold the button down for 1 second, maybe even less, it ejects the key immediately and turns everything off.

Also you could consider pressing the "P" button before you turn the car off if its a problem ;)

SuperSnoop 01-14-2013 12:44 PM

I think you have to double tap if you have comfort access. The first tap turns off the engine and the second acts like pulling out the key.

7Rage 01-14-2013 12:48 PM

Noooooooo.. I have CA...

10Go 01-21-2013 02:49 PM

••Update••

Got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the "Mechatronics sleeve". The car now shifts and seems to drive better.

We shall see. (Evil Stewie eye squint)

7Rage 01-21-2013 04:36 PM

lol software update too? flush? or even new tranny (doubt it) I REALLY have a hard time trusting the dealer they can do whatever they want to save money... we get a printout that can say anything..... I dunno... I had a problem, they fixed it. prob came back and it was something else even tho it had exact same problems... in CALI we have lemon law... if something is repaired 3 times under the same warranty then they have to replace it (if you aren't aware they wont tell you this) I jsut have this feeling that they put down that they change different parts every visit for the same issue to avoid this... i dunno...

say they repalce the tranny 3x under manufacturers warranty... they would have to repalce the car cause its a lemon.... but say they had to repalce the IVM... I wonder if you would get your car repalced?? lol...be nice...

10Go 02-09-2013 01:44 PM

That's true what your saying and I've been keeping an eye on what the dealership has been replacing. I swear I feel like its a game they are playing to make more money. For example, If i say the tire is bad, i feel they wouldn't check the tire and not everything else involved in what keeps the tire doing its job e.g. Rotor, strut/shock etc.

They did say if they couldn't fix it that they would get me into "another" vehicle.

10Go 02-09-2013 02:04 PM

•••Update••***8 226;

On returning the 7 again for the mystery message the dealer says they have REALLY found the problem. The vehicle has a bad CAS module. A new one is on order. We shall see...again.