Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Speedo LCD Issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663406)

moosanadim 12-11-2012 07:42 AM

Speedo LCD Issue

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a 2004 523i, half of the lcd display is fine on the speedo but the other half looks some like in the picture. I took it to the dealership and the guys over there say that, the whole speedo would have to be replaced, and recoded which would cost quite alot, has this happened with any one else ? please advice

HPIA4v2 12-11-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosanadim (Post 7242597)
I just bought a 2004 523i, half of the lcd display is fine on the speedo but the other half looks some like in the picture. I took it to the dealership and the guys over there say that, the whole speedo would have to be replaced, and recoded which would cost quite alot, has this happened with any one else ? please advice

the old E39 and E53 has ribbon cable oxidation problems, missing pixel etc. But those are prior to iDrive and still using the old matrix display.

You can try pursuing the BMWNA "goodwill" repair/waranty work, your angle would be safety issue since you can't see if the car overheat, or other severe warning situations.

BMWNA paid for new cluster on my BMW X5, and I paid 1hr labor for goodwill work (goodwill by BMWNA since my car was out of waranty at that time). Not bad, even old X5 cluster was $650, so this E60 BMW display probably more.

sorry, I didn't realize you are in Pakistan not NA. my bad.

moosanadim 12-11-2012 08:57 PM

Problem here is that in pakistan they dont offer any goodwill services any other advices ? Can i put in a used speedo ?

2chill 12-11-2012 11:23 PM

Pick out a good used replacement cluster here. There are many to choose from:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...tors&_from=R40

HPIA4v2 12-12-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2chill (Post 7244606)
Pick out a good used replacement cluster here. There are many to choose from:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...tors&_from=R40

You need the cluster to be programmed into the car, needs someone with GT1 or autologic to get it done; dealer won't program used cluster intsrument (only brand new one).

moosanadim 12-12-2012 06:53 AM

thats also not an option as well because in pakistan i guess it would be like finding a needle in a haystack , can it be done remotely ?

dolfan13 12-12-2012 07:40 AM

Do it yourself,cables and software all over eBay.

GOR777 12-13-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 (Post 7244907)
You need the cluster to be programmed into the car, needs someone with GT1 or autologic to get it done; dealer won't program used cluster intsrument (only brand new one).

if you buy an m5/m6 cluster for a 5 series will the programming be easy process or that cluster wont work on a 5 series?

HPIA4v2 12-13-2012 02:42 PM

I can't say for sure.
I know dealer would not program used cluster, so your best bet is to contact your local BMW indy shop (I know mine has both GT1 and autologic diagnostic tools, so they can do coding).

I actually wonder if any of those coding tools can only do copy of info from the old clsuter and put it to the new one, cause if not then someone can temper the odometer prior selling their cars using GT1 or autologic.

boramkiv 12-13-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 (Post 7248236)
I can't say for sure.
I know dealer would not program used cluster, so your best bet is to contact your local BMW indy shop (I know mine has both GT1 and autologic diagnostic tools, so they can do coding).

I actually wonder if any of those coding tools can only do copy of info from the old clsuter and put it to the new one, cause if not then someone can temper the odometer prior selling their cars using GT1 or autologic.

I'm pretty sure there are some tools that can copy info, but I think it would be from the ECU as that cluster can go anywhere if removed. I think the Bav Tech professional version can, but I sense they are holding back lots of info when I call asking so they make sure I'm not running my own little shop. I ask to do lots of coding, but they say no it can't be done so I resort to NCS.
And any more in depth tampering with odo values is considered an offense, so car makers keep a strict upper hand on that.

GOR777 12-15-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 (Post 7248236)
I can't say for sure.

I found a guy who said he can do the programming, but he is not sure if the connecters will fit or no, So any one of you know if the connectors are the same for the m5 cluster and the 550I cluster?