Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Vaccum hose blown off? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663528)

WickedFast.Inc 12-11-2012 06:44 PM

Vaccum hose blown off?

Is this possible to literally blow a vacuum hose off the car i shut my car and it turn itself over again(vacuum leak runs rich compression causes engine to turn over sometimes) this time however it shook the car hard and a whistle sound showed up a loud one and when it happened, (which is why i know its a vacuum) and it idles 500rpms higher now and shifting causes a very hard **** because of such a high idle. Its my first and only car/bmw i dont want it to be something big

Wicked Fast Entertainment

WickedFast.Inc 12-11-2012 06:50 PM

BmwFatherFigure

HornHospital

I value no one elses opinion an her more then you two.

Your input would be so appreciated, and i will forever be in your debt

Although i would appreciate all advice

BMWFatherFigure 12-12-2012 05:00 AM

Sounds like you have a vaccum leak that is causing your engine to 'run on' (the correct term) after you turn it off. The engine uses the remaining fuel in the inlet tract which is not usually enough to give a full power stroke. (A bit like a gun misfire and jam) The engine runs backwards briefly and lets a part firing compression back into the inlet manifold. Does it start to come clear? BTW when cars had carbies they could run on for 15 seconds or more. Good for damage as NO oil pressure. Fix the vac leaks and go from there.

WickedFast.Inc 12-12-2012 05:18 AM

Start to come clear?

WickedFast.Inc 12-12-2012 05:18 AM

And are there common vacuum leaks?

BMWFatherFigure 12-12-2012 07:10 AM

Sorry about that - Do you understand the concept I was describing? Nothing to do with car starting. I should have made that clearer. Just all the ususl stuff the engine side of the throttle flap. Carbi cleaner is good for tracing leaks - makes engine idle change when you hit the spot. Also try with brake booster hose pluged - in case you have a leak in that unit.

WickedFast.Inc 12-12-2012 09:01 AM

I cant run my car to find the leak it sound terrible and idle at 2000 rpms

WickedFast.Inc 12-12-2012 11:07 AM

So i figured out a while back but forgot i can run my car,put it in reverse pull ebrake and take a look at my engine not the safest but its all i got.

I figured out it popped my idle motor end off the manifold as its always been loose and could be pulled out

Is this my vacuum leak possibly? And what should i use to put it in permanatly

downhiller 12-12-2012 07:14 PM

you dont want a permanent fix one that. simply replace the hose and use 2 hose clamps. or if you want a sleeker look, use clear rtv.

WickedFast.Inc 12-12-2012 07:25 PM

I thought the metal elbow was supposed to be attached to the manifold not come out?

BMWFatherFigure 12-13-2012 12:30 AM

Sounds like you manifold is damaged. Post a photo.