Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   OBD2 Scanner....?!? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663551)

CALWATERBOY 12-11-2012 07:54 PM

OBD2 Scanner....?!?

@ 1/15 the price of Bavarian Technic, I got doubts - anyone use THIS?

Orient330iNYC 12-11-2012 08:30 PM

yeah, i have one. only reads out basic OBDII data and resets SES faults. thats it. cannot communicate with any other module in the car, cannot read shadow faults, activations, etc.

Squidget 12-11-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7244285)

On that topic: my understanding is that the Bav Tech only works on the older e90s. Is there anything equivalent for the last few years?

ctuna 12-11-2012 08:55 PM

FYI coding setup and DIS57

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

also

bmwcoders.com

The above two links are places to find a total diag setup cheap with some hacking.

The elm bluetooth module is only good for generic codes the common obd ones that must
be standardized. What it is good for is using the torque app.

CALWATERBOY 12-11-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidget (Post 7244393)
On that topic: my understanding is that the Bav Tech only works on the older e90s. Is there anything equivalent for the last few years?

You must mean N54 vs N55 - does work on mine. And, gotta say, pretty good juju....

jburke4689 12-12-2012 06:56 AM

I talked to the guys at BavTech and they said that it would work on my 2007 335i (N54) and my 2013 X5 (N55) equally well.

MP3_E46 12-13-2012 04:20 AM

Will the BavTech really pull codes other OBD readers cannot? My ELM 237/ Torque say it can pull historic codes.

$735 is a bit steep for me to justify on an in warranty car - will go another route if replace the battery. Wish the dealer would sort it out without multiple visits; they've lost the sale of a 2013 Wagon to me by not sorting this seemingly trivial issue out.

Zooks527 12-13-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7244285)

At that price, the Bluetooth OBD modules are Chinese knockoffs that don't reliably communicate at full speed. The "real" ones run around $80 - $100.

FWIW, I have one of the knockoffs and use it with Torque. I've pulled codes on my wife's Subaru with it, and used it to overlay the ECU data with camera video on last summer's Mt. Washington ride:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5za_wiyMcIE

It works. Nothing to write home about, but it works. Cute toy for $30 if you have an Android phone.

CALWATERBOY 12-13-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7246978)
Will the BavTech really pull codes other OBD readers cannot? My ELM 237/ Torque say it can pull historic codes.

$735 is a bit steep for me to justify on an in warranty car - will go another route if replace the battery. Wish the dealer would sort it out without multiple visits; they've lost the sale of a 2013 Wagon to me by not sorting this seemingly trivial issue out.

Got mine when my ride was new, just to satisfy curiosity. Note the price - still a lump, gotta be motivated.

MP3_E46 12-13-2012 09:45 AM

$24 ELM let me know the coolant temp moves a good bit in the first mile so was well worth it. Needle does not move until pulling into work...

Already have a USB OBDII scanner I paid ~$400 for in 2004... not rushing to spend real money on one again unless absolutely necessary. I think every semi-enthusiast should buy the $23 one and order the BavTech or play with the hacky options if something looks really broken.. or they are really curious too :angel:

Also until proved otherwise I am still sure the $23 one pulls all codes even it cannot decode all of them. We won't know what some mean like the errors I had a few weeks ago but I'd wager it pulls them

NickDanger 12-13-2012 11:10 AM

I have the PLX Kiwi bluetooth. I'm not sure how deep into the code world it can go, but I have been happy with this device.

http://www.plxdevices.com/

CALWATERBOY 12-13-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7247608)
$24 ELM let me know the coolant temp moves a good bit in the first mile so was well worth it. Needle does not move until pulling into work...

Already have a USB OBDII scanner I paid ~$400 for in 2004... not rushing to spend real money on one again unless absolutely necessary. I think every semi-enthusiast should buy the $23 one and order the BavTech or play with the hacky options if something looks really broken.. or they are really curious too :angel:

Also until proved otherwise I am still sure the $23 one pulls all codes. We won't know what some mean like the errors I had a few weeks ago but I'd wager it pulls them

I saw the depth and breadth o'info BT delivers. Of course, their web site's needed to retrieve all. Amazing what can be seen & modified, many makes & models. Like the up-to-date info base.

Wihelm G 12-13-2012 11:33 AM

Not sure what you mean. The website is only needed to check for software updates and download them to your laptop/desktop/tablet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7247819)
I saw the depth and breadth o'info BT delivers. Of course, their web site's needed to retrieve all. Amazing what can be seen & modified, many makes & models. Like the up-to-date info base.

CALWATERBOY 12-13-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wihelm G (Post 7247838)
Not sure what you mean. The website is only needed to check for software updates and download them to your laptop/desktop/tablet.

Exactly - with all translation tables for mfg specific codes & features; I/O

jvest2000 12-30-2012 10:01 AM

Just wanted to weigh in on a code reader solution I got that seems to work great on my 2004 Tundra and also on my wife's 2006 BMW X3. It's a Bluetooth OBDII connector that you pair up to and Android powered smart phone. Here is a little write up/review I did for it and for the Torque Pro app, hope it helps some folks, reading these codes and being able to get information from your ECU is awesome! I was able to read some codes on the X3 (the seemingly common P0174 and P0171 Too Lean Bank 1 and 2 codes) and clear them which turned off the SES light.

http://24f554c823a5bc6186e5-0abca687...m327thumb2.jpg
ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader and Torque Android App Review

CALWATERBOY 12-30-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvest2000 (Post 7279292)
Just wanted to weigh in on a code reader solution I got that seems to work great on my 2004 Tundra and also on my wife's 2006 BMW X3.

Wow. Kindly list the proprietary BMW codes it reads.

fradzz 05-29-2013 02:04 PM

OBD2 Scanner....?!?

Purchased the basic Bavarian scanner a couple of month ago. It reads codes, including a code where is no problem.
It will reset An

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

fradzz 05-29-2013 02:13 PM

OBD2 Scanner....?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fradzz (Post 7617426)
Purchased the basic Bavarian scanner a couple of month ago. It reads codes, including a code where is no problem.
It will reset An

It will not reset any codes!
None!
Bavarian Technic says it because the system is lacking an update. I'm only 5000 miles out of Warrenty and had a complete service 6000 miles ago. Seems like if the system needed updates it would have been done. But I don't know.
I have the scanner that only allows three VINs to be scanned ever, so I hate to hook up to someone's car just to see if the scanner works.
Anyone have any feedback or insight on this? Thanks

roadkillrob 05-29-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fradzz (Post 7617442)
It will not reset any codes!
None!
Bavarian Technic says it because the system is lacking an update. I'm only 5000 miles out of Warrenty and had a complete service 6000 miles ago. Seems like if the system needed updates it would have been done. But I don't know.
I have the scanner that only allows three VINs to be scanned ever, so I hate to hook up to someone's car just to see if the scanner works.
Anyone have any feedback or insight on this? Thanks

What code r u getting, I have no issues resetting codes with mine, but recently was unable to reset service reminders, one for brake fluid change, called them and the current version has a bug and they sent me the previous version and all went back to working.

fradzz 05-29-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7618114)
What code r u getting, I have no issues resetting codes with mine, but recently was unable to reset service reminders, one for brake fluid change, called them and the current version has a bug and they sent me the previous version and all went back to working.

Yeah its showing a brake code which I've done the brakes and sensor, but can't turn off the code. It shows a LvDs which is a Idrive nav commo problem (but everything works fine) and a code for adaptive headlight left side LL motor and Lr motor which is correct. The L light took on water and shorted something out maybe. It's a step motor replacement probably.
I can fix things but I really want to be able to turn off the codes. Of course if something is going to break it happens right after warranty goes out.
I'll move the question around a bit here maybe someone can steer me towards a solution.
BT says software needs updating on 06 330. I've got a great BMW service writer who's also a Master tech. I think he'll know about a software update. Just haven't had time to go my the BMW store.
And they told me about the previous version but it didn't help.