Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Deep sea blue with black leather - good or bad? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663583)

ixsomerset 12-11-2012 11:18 PM

Deep sea blue with black leather - good or bad?

OK, so I've lined up my ED of a BMW 328i convertible. I've selected deep sea blue metallic (non-negotiable as it's such an amazing color!) and I'm pairing this with black dakota leather. While I've seen this blue / black combination on the BMW USA "build your own" it's not the same as seeing one in real life or a photo of a real car with this combination. I've never seen this combo (found a small thumbnail on Google images). The alternative is the cream biege which I see everywhere.

What do others think of this DSB / black leather combination?

Do any of you out there have a deep see blue with black leather / have photos?

How does the black leather wear over time compared to cream biege? (in a convertible).

I'm locking in colors this week for my ED. Advice appreciated.

Ixsomerset

tturedraider 12-12-2012 12:30 AM

Did you see the E90Post color threads? There are two fair photos with black from a member's ED. There are also some with saddle. Is that an option for you? It would be my pick.

Edit: oops, I was looking at Atlantic blue. I'll have to go look at Deep Sea. Saddle would definitely be my choice with Deep Sea.

OK, if it were me I would choose the M Sport package and thus Lemans Blue.

the kidd 12-12-2012 01:31 AM

i am partial to gray with my DSB!

SD Z4MR 12-12-2012 02:05 AM

My wife and I bought her car in Le Mans Blue without ever seeing the color in person. When we were ready to order last year there was not a single new or used car of any model on a dealer lot in San Diego County in Le Mans Blue because it's a color only available on the M3 or on a car with the M Sport Package. The first time we saw Le Mans Blue in person was on the floor of BMW Welt when we took delivery. We were not disappointed!

She wasn't interested in the Saddle interior and was originally thinking about Gray. Both our CA and I were trying to steer her away from Gray and finally our CA took us out to look at a CPOed 2007 E90. The car was in great condition but my wife could see how the Gray leather and plastic would look in four years. She immediately changed her mind to Black and that is what we ordered. Again, we have not been disappointed.

MP3_E46 12-12-2012 04:50 AM

All seven BMWs I've owned have has black interiors (six were EDs). Look at a some used cars and you'll soon go off beige; especially if you are an outdoors person.

TJG 12-12-2012 08:55 AM

I have Montego blue with black - after 5 years and 51k miles the seats are pretty much good as new. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing choice but definately practical & hardwearing.

CALWATERBOY 12-12-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixsomerset (Post 7244600)
OK, so I've lined up my ED of a BMW 328i convertible. I've selected deep sea blue metallic (non-negotiable as it's such an amazing color!) and I'm pairing this with black dakota leather. While I've seen this blue / black combination on the BMW USA "build your own" it's not the same as seeing one in real life or a photo of a real car with this combination. I've never seen this combo (found a small thumbnail on Google images). The alternative is the cream biege which I see everywhere.

What do others think of this DSB / black leather combination?

Do any of you out there have a deep see blue with black leather / have photos?

How does the black leather wear over time compared to cream biege? (in a convertible).

I'm locking in colors this week for my ED. Advice appreciated.

You're soliciting buying advice vis a vis color of your personal ride from unknown Internet forum participants.

FINE!

Choose lime green paint w/coral red interior. Thus, you're in Sync with the holiday season, yet totally ready for summer vacation.

Go for it! You won't be sorry if you're bold enough to spec this combi!

ixsomerset 12-12-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7245222)
You're soliciting buying advice vis a vis color of your personal ride from unknown Internet forum participants. FINE!

Choose lime green paint w/coral red interior. Thus, you're in Sync with the holiday season, yet totally ready for summer vacation.

Certainly unique. I'll try and hack the configurator and jam in the hex for lime green. Seems like a perfect troll-color combo ;)

I see the BMW style police prevent certain color combinations. Henry Ford would be proud.

tturedraider 12-12-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixsomerset (Post 7245257)
Certainly unique. I'll try and hack the configurator and jam in the hex for lime green. Seems like a perfect troll-color combo ;)

I see the BMW style police prevent certain color combinations. Henry Ford would be proud.

Oh no, you can get virtually any color combo you want....except with M Sport, which historically has color limitations.

twhisten 12-12-2012 03:21 PM

Black basically goes nice with any color.......
I have the saddle with le mans blue and love it.
I have DSB on my X5 with the beige.....it gets dirty pretty quick......especially with a 3 year old.

MMME30W 12-12-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7245222)
You're soliciting buying advice vis a vis color of your personal ride from unknown Internet forum participants.

FINE!

:rofl::thumbup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by twhisten (Post 7246069)
Black basically goes nice with any color.......
I have the saddle with le mans blue and love it.
I have DSB on my X5 with the beige.....it gets dirty pretty quick......especially with a 3 year old.

Good call. I had Oyster under DSB on an 11 E90. It did not grow on me. As a do over, I would get black. Goes with everything. Oyster, beige (various rentals), gray (had it on our E91) all show dirt like crazy. I think at first saddle looks odd but I kind of like it over the years. Very classy color.

CALWATERBOY 12-12-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixsomerset (Post 7245257)

Well, good enough!

http://i.imgur.com/cHSqp.gif

Chop362 12-12-2012 06:18 PM

I don't get it what's the big deal??I know the color and it's a fine choice as for black interior....Black goes with everything and will look great together with zero upkeep.

Joe in Dublin 12-12-2012 07:19 PM

i like my beige, its work to clean but i like the light color..i really like oyster

KAP8 12-13-2012 09:07 AM

I prefer a contrast between the interior and exterior. I would opt for either the Saddle or the Oyster/Black combination. I'm a neat freak so the oyster wouldn't be a problem for me to maintain.

roadkillrob 12-13-2012 12:08 PM

It is a pretty dark blue - I would think it would look much better with a lighter color like saddle (but I am a bit biased!). Love the saddle with Montego and have seen it with DSB and it looks great - not so light that it is hard to keep clean and the thing I like about saddle is that only the seating surfaces and door panel inserts are saddle, all the rest of the plastic, most of the door panels, the bottom of the dash and the carpets are black, so it is a very nice contrast. Colors like tan leather, they put in light carpet and plastics and tow tone the dash.

I also think it would look great with Oyster which is also a mostly black interior with Osyter colored seating surfaces - just a bit more work to keep clean.

Nothing wrong with all black, but I think a little color adds a nice contrast, especially top down where the interior color is actually seen from outside.

Here is mine, montego saddle, but look through all 17 pages of convert color combos http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=169115&page=2
Rob

ixsomerset 12-13-2012 01:26 PM

Black it is (full circle, but now said with confidence!)

Thanks to the link to that e90post.com thread - seems like DSB is fairly rare (I know it's recent) and 80% of owners choose the lighter interior colors.

Saddle was really starting to grow on me, then I used the "build your own" again and saw the interior view with the mix of colors. For me DSB and dark walnut are non negotiable (the walnut is an old Triumph 2000 feature, I think old Jags had it too).

In the interior saddle would look good with the black or aluminium insets, but with my insistence on dark walnut there's just so many colors going on - saddle, black, dark walnut - that it loses it's cool. Two interior colors cool, three - too many.

To all those who recommend cream or oyster - I have to agree with you - this is the most logical choice and looks good; but I see these combinations a lot. I want to be a bit unique, but coral is pushing it too far (for me).

So I'm with MMME30W, TJG and MP3_E46. It remains black.

I may not have changed my mind from this thread - but it has helped a lot. Yesterday I started out thinking "black, mmm, maybe" now I'm locked down on black.

CALWATERBOY 12-13-2012 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixsomerset (Post 7248076)
Saddle was really starting to grow on me, then I used the "build your own" again and saw the interior view with the mix of colors. For me DSB and dark walnut are non negotiable (the walnut is an old Triumph 2000 feature, I think old Jags had it too).

My pup agrees with you - click on him:

Attachment 353149

MP3_E46 12-13-2012 06:03 PM

Is this now an E93 only forum? Seems almost like it :beerchug:

MMME30W 12-13-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7248602)
Is this now an E93 only forum? Seems almost like it :beerchug:

Naw, they also let in us small hatchbacks. C&D 10Best! :bigpimp:

Bmr3sn 12-13-2012 06:34 PM

Just to piggyback on what a few others have said, I have spent the last two months looking at used BMWs. Anywhere from 2004 to 2010. Unless they have change something in the last year or two, the lighter color interiors show dirt really bad.

GarySL 12-13-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

...- now I'm locked down on black.

[youtube]h44LIiaZhHE[/youtube]

roadkillrob 12-13-2012 07:26 PM

I agree, I do not like saddle with burl walnut, light or dark, to many browns going on. I did gray poplar which is pretty much black, but has the warmth of wood trim without being brown. Since they no longer offer it, you either have to choose a burl walnut or a non wood.

Glad you have got it figured out, now the wait begins!

Quote:

Thanks to the link to that e90post.com thread - seems like DSB is fairly rare (I know it's recent) and 80% of owners choose the lighter interior colors.

In the interior saddle would look good with the black or aluminium insets, but with my insistence on dark walnut there's just so many colors going on - saddle, black, dark walnut - that it loses it's cool. Two interior colors cool, three - too many.

To all those who recommend cream or oyster - I have to agree with you - this is the most logical choice and looks good; but I see these combinations a lot. I want to be a bit unique, but coral is pushing it too far (for me).

So I'm with MMME30W, TJG and MP3_E46. It remains black.

I may not have changed my mind from this thread - but it has helped a lot. Yesterday I started out thinking "black, mmm, maybe" now I'm locked down on black.

ixsomerset 12-13-2012 11:51 PM

Saddle and dark walnut can work

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7248588)
My pup agrees with you - click on him:

Attachment 353149

Nice photo, better than "build your own"- saddle and dark walnut can work...

Got any more interior photos? (now you've got me reconsidering). How does saddle look after a few years?

Saw the photos in this thread ... and I'm back in black...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6261346

roadkillrob 12-14-2012 06:36 AM

One thing I struggled with picking my colors is that saddle photographs a more orange than it looks in person to me and the flash will bring out wood tones in the trim that you normally don't see and amplify the color, so it is touch until you see it in a car in person.