Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   7 speed DCT in '12 135i? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663639)

TRAKULA 12-12-2012 07:22 AM

7 speed DCT in '12 135i?

I am looking at buying a used 135i coupe. I test drove an M3 with the 7 speed and was really impressed with the transmission (not so much the lack of torque, however). Do all '12 135i come with a 7 speed auto/manual or was that an option? Also, any new opinions on going N54 vs N55 route if I plan to run the car with additional boost and MAYBE an upgraded turbo kit?

Cheers!

-Kevin-

thumper_330 12-12-2012 08:12 AM

It was an option... the 6-speed manual was the standard transmission (but didn't get ordered much by dealers who know that it's easier to sell an automatic).

As for tuning, you'd be far better off with the N54 if you want to tune the car at all. The N55 has some tunes available but there's not as many options and you won't get as much power out of them. I think the general consensus is that the N55 is a really good engine but it's harder to find gains than with the N54, partly because of the systems integration and partly because of the engineering differences. But if you're a two-pedal kind of guy then the N54 135i comes with a traditional automatic rather than a DCT.

I have to say that I drive a DCT because of some health problems last year (knee surgery)... but as it has healed now to the point that it's almost back to the way it felt before (or better) I am starting to miss that third pedal. I can't help but think my next car will have three. That's not to say I dislike the DCT; from a technological perspective it's phenomenal... and for the driver it is absolutely wonderful with faster shifts than I could ever manage. It has a few "bad habits" that you learn pretty quickly to work around... and once you do there's not a lot of other cars in the same power class that can keep up with you.

TRAKULA 12-12-2012 08:44 AM

Thank you

I appreciate your insight and comments.

I'm definitely a manual transmission guy (never actually owned an automatic).

I'm hoping to make around 400 hp, given that it will be a daily driver. I'd obviously prefer stock turbos as the car will probably still have a warranty. If I can get away with an N55, then maybe I'll go that route just to get a car with less mileage and wear and tear initially.

Does anyone else have any opinion on the 6-speed versus 7-speed manual?

Kevin

Bob Z. 12-12-2012 11:26 AM

I bought a new 2013 135i convertible last month and had to order it since I wanted the manual tranny...as long as can physically shift myself I cannot see buying an automatic. And my wife felt the same way so the decision was sealed!

Shaynernator 12-12-2012 01:03 PM

I just got an '11 135i with the 7 Speed DCT and love it! I have had manuals all my life but the DCT is great for my current driving conditions (city).