Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help! Water leak rear left side (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663921)

kash_BMW 12-13-2012 02:07 PM

Help! Water leak rear left side
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hi All, new poster and was wondering if anyone has had my problem.

I have pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem

A week ago after a few days of rain noticed the rear right side passenger floor was wet.

I poured a bottle of water this afternoon and pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem and I think my problem is from my door/door seals

It just rained so I went to check on my car and the pictures are attached from what I found

The seal on the body of the car is wet between the white lines, its not wet on the other side of the car and there are a few drops of water on my seat.

What is causing this problem? The seals on the body or door? any ideas would be appreciated

sunny5280 12-13-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash_BMW (Post 7248169)
Hi All, new poster and was wondering if anyone has had my problem.

I have pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem

A week ago after a few days of rain noticed the rear right side passenger floor was wet.

I poured a bottle of water this afternoon and pretty much ruled out a door vapor seal problem and I think my problem is from my door/door seals

It just rained so I went to check on my car and the pictures are attached from what I found

The seal on the body of the car is wet between the white lines, its not wet on the other side of the car and there are a few drops of water on my seat.

What is causing this problem? The seals on the body or door? any ideas would be appreciated

How did you rule out the vapor seal? Did you pull the cover and inspect it?

kash_BMW 12-14-2012 07:05 AM

I poured water and it drained properly, and the water on the seat leads me to believe its dripping from another area

sunny5280 12-14-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash_BMW (Post 7249340)
I poured water and it drained properly, and the water on the seat leads me to believe its dripping from another area

I would recommend removing the inside door panel and inspecting the barrier along with how well it's sealing around the edge. I had a water leaking problem too and it ended up being the moisture barrier. There was a small tear which I assume resulted from previous work (I suspect window regulator replacement). I sealed the barrier and ensured the seal around the barrier was good and the issue disappeared.

The door panel is not difficult to remove and took me at most 30 minutes...and that was because I was reading an DIY on how to remove it. Most any DIY on replacing the window regulators will include instructions for removing the trim panel.

kash_BMW 12-22-2012 05:36 AM

you were right. it was the vapor seal. My mechanic who only deals with BMW's did not believe it he claimed that its just for sounds proofing. He just heated it up and said we'll put silicone later after the rainy season, I'm just gonna DIY and get the required stuff from the states next week

sunny5280 12-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash_BMW (Post 7265200)
you were right. it was the vapor seal. My mechanic who only deals with BMW's did not believe it he claimed that its just for sounds proofing. He just heated it up and said we'll put silicone later after the rainy season, I'm just gonna DIY and get the required stuff from the states next week

Glad to hear you found the problem. Even better is it's an easy fix :thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms