Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   2013 Nav Maps Update (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664414)

jadnashuanh 12-16-2012 02:24 PM

2013 Nav Maps Update
 
I ordered the 2013 maps for NA on a USB drive, and the FSC key from a guy in Europe, and a few days ago updated the maps in my vehicle. Very simple, much less than what the dealer charges. The map data cost me about $50 with shipping, and the FSC cost me 50-euros.

The procedure is simple - turn the car on, insert the USB memory stick in the glove box USB port, wait for the message to pop up that the maps on the USB are newer than that in the car, say yes to update, enter the FSC code (remember to enter the 'OK' at the end), and it starts. You can stop, get out do other things, and when you restart the car, it will continue where it left off (it's momentarily disconcerting as it starts at 0%, but quickly jumps to where it left off). At the end, it says it finished and tells you to reboot. Click ok and in a short bit, it's done. Note that if you check the status right then, it won't show the new maps installed but will if you shut the car off, let it sit for awhile, then start it back up again.

Anyway, much cheaper than what the dealer charges. You can probably find the map data cheaper, but then you won't have a 32G USB stick you can use for something else. If you got it on DVD's, you have to enter them one by one, and if you shut the car off, have to reinsert disk one, then the one it asks once it gets the disk structure off of the first disk to know where it is.

I haven't noticed any big differences, but may not in the area where I live. Note, this does NOT update the nav firmware, so internal operation remains exactly like it was, this only updates the data files (maps and POI's), some 75,000 miles and 7 million POI's.

mtimmy 03-13-2013 12:33 PM

How much total did you spent? can you send me the places that you ordered them. I would like to order too

rafale 03-13-2013 12:54 PM

mtimmy, I just PM'd you with detailed instructions

CarolKaz 03-13-2013 02:22 PM

I'm interested a well. I have a 2010 328i with iDrive but am driving around the US with ancient maps! Thanks for any help.

rafale 03-13-2013 05:15 PM

you got the same PM as well

mtimmy 03-14-2013 08:18 PM

Thank you so much...

CarolKaz 03-17-2013 08:52 AM

2013 Nav Maps Update
 
Thanks for the help. However, I cannot get the download to work. Is there anyone else out there with a way to get the maps?

jadnashuanh 03-17-2013 03:15 PM

I bought the maps on a USB stick. Since they weren't that much more than the cost of a quality 32G stick (when not on sale!), I figured that was the easiest way...and, I could then use the thing for anything else so it wasn't a total loss.

bimmer4L 03-17-2013 03:23 PM

new maps
 
What do we have to do here to get the new maps for a decent price? 2009 335i

katiesdad7 03-17-2013 07:13 PM

Can you also PM me the info.

Thanks

mtimmy 03-18-2013 12:49 AM

I brought my for 50 dollars us., the guy send me a torrent for the 2013 map., 21.5gb total.

jadnashuanh 03-18-2013 01:13 PM

The maps are not that hard to find because they are useless without the key. It's just that not everyone has a speedy enough connection to want to wait around for 21.5G of files to download! Since the maps are not unique to an individual vehicle, feel free to give the disks or files or whatever to anyone else around that may need them...they'll have to buy their own key for them to work in their vehicle, since it is linked to the VIN inside the computer to unlock their use.

rafale 03-18-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiesdad7 (Post 7450808)
Can you also PM me the info.

Thanks

I think you got PM

thammons 04-11-2013 11:04 AM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I appreciate the information you all provide. I have a 535xi 2008.
My problem: I bought a new nav DVD (65 90 2 339 012 part) to update from the original one (original one and nav system worked fine but getting outdated). Ejected the original one; nav screen said to insert DVD. Inserted new DVD, nothing changed. Waited several minutes. Reinserted new DVD, nothing, still said to insert DVD. Ejected the new DVD and reinserted the original one -- nav worked fine after a few seconds. That seems to say the player is OK. Called dealer parts guy, said it might be the player -- but I don't see how if the old DVD still loads and works fine.
Any ideas? I will load the new one again this afternoon when I have to drive 20 min to an appt and will see if anything happens, but don't expect the player to read the new DVD.
Thanks!
thammons

rafale 04-11-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thammons (Post 7511098)
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I appreciate the information you all provide. I have a 535xi 2008.
My problem: I bought a new nav DVD (65 90 2 339 012 part) to update from the original one (original one and nav system worked fine but getting outdated). Ejected the original one; nav screen said to insert DVD. Inserted new DVD, nothing changed. Waited several minutes. Reinserted new DVD, nothing, still said to insert DVD. Ejected the new DVD and reinserted the original one -- nav worked fine after a few seconds. That seems to say the player is OK. Called dealer parts guy, said it might be the player -- but I don't see how if the old DVD still loads and works fine.
Any ideas? I will load the new one again this afternoon when I have to drive 20 min to an appt and will see if anything happens, but don't expect the player to read the new DVD.
Thanks!
thammons

You are in the wrong forum, wrong car model. This is under the F07 GT. Your car is an E60 5 series with a DVD nav. Ours is different. You might want to try the E60 forum.

thammons 04-11-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks.
 
I'll go find the correct forum.
Thanks,
th

jemill 04-24-2013 09:34 PM

Can you please PM the instructions to me?

Thanks in advance!

WiseYoda 05-04-2013 05:56 PM

Would love some info via PM. Thanks much!

jadnashuanh 05-04-2013 08:28 PM

The installation of the map upgrade in the GT is a no-brainer. You need two things: a VIN specific key code and the map data. Insert the map data (easiest to obtain on a USB drive, but you may be able to get it on DVD's), the vehicle will then ask for the key, insert the key and just wait. Once it has all been copied to the vehicle's HD, it will say it's done, then ask if you want to reset to apply. It does not destroy the original map data until the new stuff is installed then you tell it to reset. In fact, you can continue to use the nav while this is happening. You can even turn the car off, and it will restart when you turn it back on (you need to re-enter the key, but after a moment, it continues from where it left off).

There are various places you can get a key, the dealer is the most expensive source, but at least some of them will sell you just the map data (you may be able to find it on-line for free or borrow a copy since it's useless without a key), but it's huge (22G or so), and you may not want to wait for it to download.

I do not know how the older, non-HD based systems are updated, but expect all of the newer ones that have that data on a HD operate in a similar manner.

There is no reason to pay a dealer to install this for you as the procedure is simple.

I do find it annoying that you can buy a handheld with lifetime map updates (often quarterly updates) for in the order of $100 on sale, and BMW gets thousands for the thing initially, and wants over $300 retail to install updates...your key is only good for a specific year's data on a specific vehicle (but, you can give or loan the data to others - they'll just need their own key).

I paid a guy 50 Euros for a key...emailed him my VIN, he emailed back his PayPal info, and within 30-minutes after sending the money, I had the key in my mailbox. You may find it cheaper and you can certainly pay more, but this was pretty painless.

godzilag 05-10-2013 11:02 AM

Pls PM me, I'm interested on updating my map as well. I have a 2010 535i with iDrive with 2009 US maps! Thanks for any help.

jadnashuanh 05-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godzilag (Post 7576006)
Pls PM me, I'm interested on updating my map as well. I have a 2010 535i with iDrive with 2009 US maps! Thanks for any help.

I do not know if that model uses the same method to load maps...if you have a USB port and the maps are on a hard drive, it would probably work. All of the required info is on the sedan forum. I bought my key from sieras5 @inbox .lt

godzilag 05-10-2013 07:49 PM

thanks

nekountze 05-17-2013 04:02 PM

Please send me Nave update info
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jadnashuanh (Post 7564168)
The installation of the map upgrade in the GT is a no-brainer. You need two things: a VIN specific key code and the map data. Insert the map data (easiest to obtain on a USB drive, but you may be able to get it on DVD's), the vehicle will then ask for the key, insert the key and just wait. Once it has all been copied to the vehicle's HD, it will say it's done, then ask if you want to reset to apply. It does not destroy the original map data until the new stuff is installed then you tell it to reset. In fact, you can continue to use the nav while this is happening. You can even turn the car off, and it will restart when you turn it back on (you need to re-enter the key, but after a moment, it continues from where it left off).

There are various places you can get a key, the dealer is the most expensive source, but at least some of them will sell you just the map data (you may be able to find it on-line for free or borrow a copy since it's useless without a key), but it's huge (22G or so), and you may not want to wait for it to download.

I do not know how the older, non-HD based systems are updated, but expect all of the newer ones that have that data on a HD operate in a similar manner.

There is no reason to pay a dealer to install this for you as the procedure is simple.

I do find it annoying that you can buy a handheld with lifetime map updates (often quarterly updates) for in the order of $100 on sale, and BMW gets thousands for the thing initially, and wants over $300 retail to install updates...your key is only good for a specific year's data on a specific vehicle (but, you can give or loan the data to others - they'll just need their own key).

I paid a guy 50 Euros for a key...emailed him my VIN, he emailed back his PayPal info, and within 30-minutes after sending the money, I had the key in my mailbox. You may find it cheaper and you can certainly pay more, but this was pretty painless.

I have a 2010 5351GT and would also like the nav maps updated. Can you PM me the info, please?

Thanks

jadnashuanh 05-17-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekountze (Post 7592088)
I have a 2010 5351GT and would also like the nav maps updated. Can you PM me the info, please?

Thanks

Everything you need is in this thread already. One (that I used) for the key, and there are lots of sources for the map data by itself. You can share the data or borrow it if you know someone who already has it without concerns of theft or any other issues, since it's useless without the key specific for the VIN of your vehicle. You may find it online, but be prepared to download over 23G, which is why I didn't look too hard, my connection isn't super.

Ralph 02-09-2014 03:52 PM

Hello Rafale.

Could you send me the info omn 2013 maps, key as well?
Also about the USB stick, simplifies things.
Thanks.

2010 550i sport


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms