Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E34 (1989 - 1995) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Windows stopped working until ignition reset (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664438)

TDiLisio 12-16-2012 05:08 PM

Windows stopped working until ignition reset

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW DIY. Hello from Stephens City, Va.

The wife recently purchased a 1992 525i with the M50 engine and 227k Miles. The guy she bought it from told her that his mechanic said everything under the car looked fine. Well... he needs to find a new mechanic. I won't go into what I found and fixed already, but obviously the mechanic wasn't familiar with thrust and control arms.

So today we were out test driving the car after replacing the thrust and control arms (which did help immensely on the shimmy at 65mph-ish. Thanks forum members)... I tried to roll down the windows at a drive thru... no windows would roll down. Playing with the switches didn't do anything. So I figured something electrical went wrong. I turned the ignition off, and restarted the engine and the windows worked...???

So we stopped and fed with the windows down, restarted the car and drove off. Was a little cold so we tried to get the windows up. Nothing. Stopped the car, turned the engine off and then turned the key to the second position (before hitting the starter) and the windows rolled up. But that was it... they wouldn't work again until the power was cycled.

Damn... I can see another weekend shot to crap working on this thing.

From sifting thru the forum, I see mention of 2 items... Fusible link and a GM. I'm kinda leaning toward the GM because the windows work when there is a power cycle (it seems). I think I would benefit from replacing both (future problems) in that the fusible link is fairly cheap (I think).

Is there a proper part name for these? or better yet a part number?... I can't seem to find a "general module" or "fusible link" on the BMW parts site in south Atlanta. I found a basic module... but at $400... I'm hoping that's not it.

Whats in the GM that fails? relays? computer chips? solder joints?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Tony.

paperplane94 12-17-2012 05:57 PM

your problem is pretty unique, so you may have to open it up and find out yourself.

TDiLisio 12-18-2012 03:23 AM

I hope to get to it tonight. Purchased a few fuse links beforehand just in case...

The wife got in it yesterday and it worked fine.

But... I'm still gonna pull the seat, replace the fuse and check the GM.

TDiLisio 01-20-2013 03:56 PM

Well... I replaced the fuse even though it looked ok, I attempted removing the GM module with no luck. I just pushed it in real good and screwed the cover back down. Haven't had any problems with it since.

Took it on a first voyage (for the car) to key west... car was a dream to drive. decent gas mileage... 25-27MPG. Probably could have been better had I chose a lower cruise speed. I think this car is a keeper.

BMWFatherFigure 01-20-2013 08:47 PM

Could be you settled in a plug correctly. Cheap fix!! Hope it stays good. Enjoy your drive!