Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   E46 Power Seat problems (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664599)

his15153 12-17-2012 03:04 PM

E46 Power Seat problems

The passenger side power seat in my E46 M3 does not work. None of the power functions work. I checked the fuse already, and it is good. I also checked switch. I changed it with the drivers side. The switch works fine. Has anyone had a similar problem? I figure that it is unlikely that it is the motors, as none of functions work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

m3e46freak 12-17-2012 03:31 PM

Sometimes if you accidentally drop stuff under the seat and try to move it will rip off some of those underlying wires...check there.

his15153 01-06-2013 08:40 AM

I tried looking under the seat to see if anything is disconnected, but the seat is all the way at the bottom position so I could really see if anything was disconnected or broken. I am thinking of pulling the seat out to check everything, but the seat is also in the all the way forward position. Is there anyway to manually move the seat back to access the bolts to remove the seat?

his15153 01-06-2013 02:14 PM

So I figured out how to disconnect the tilt up bracket and lift the bottom of the seat up and see under the seat. All the wires look like fine. I tested the connections in the front tilt motor and the forward/back motor. They are not getting the power they should. The only thing I am thinking it could be is the seat control unit. Just have to figure out how to get my hands on another one to test.

UPDATE:

I solved the problem. I found the 2 bracket (one on each side of the front of the seat) that attach the front tilt motor to the seat bottom, and removed them. This allow me to lift up the seat bottom enough to see and have access to everything under the seat. The wiring was fine, so I removed the seat control module and swapped it with the drivers seat. They both ended up working. It may have been as simple as the system being reset when I unplugged the battery or something was loose with module. In either case everything now works fine.

his15153 01-07-2013 11:02 AM

Update #2

Now the drivers side seat stopped working. It was working, then in the middle of moving the seat it stopped. Now I am completely stumped as to what the problem could be. Its clearly not the seat motors, the control module, or the fuses. Also, after the drivers seat stopped moving, I took out the fuse and placed it back in. The seat moved for about a half a second and then stopped again.

Pinecone 01-07-2013 11:19 AM

You said that you swapped the seat control modules.

So I suspect that one that is installed in the driver's seat (which was the one that was in the passenger seat when it was not working) is bad. When you swapped them, it temporarily worked, but I would replace it.

his15153 01-08-2013 01:21 PM

I had swapped them back previous to the issue (so the drivers seat module is the same one as originally in the drivers seat).

his15153 01-15-2013 08:46 AM

Updated. I didn't do anything, and it all started working again. I'm thinking it might have just been that the connections where a little dirty.