Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Mods that don't impact BMW Warranty? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665013)

Frankg11 12-19-2012 03:29 PM

Mods that don't impact BMW Warranty?

So we have heard about all the stuff you can't put on your car without BMW voiding the warranty, CPO, extended warranty, etc.

So what can you put on your car that won't void the original 4yr/50K service warranty?

Also, I have a 2012 335is with 313's in 19". So does BMW have a performance brake upgrade for this care and will it void my warranty? I know they have Performance brakes for something close.

Thank you for any answers in advance.

pointandgo 12-19-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankg11 (Post 7260445)
So we have heard about all the stuff you can't put on your car without BMW voiding the warranty, CPO, extended warranty, etc.

So what can you put on your car that won't void the original 4yr/50K service warranty?

Also, I have a 2012 335is with 313's in 19". So does BMW have a performance brake upgrade for this care and will it void my warranty? I know they have Performance brakes for something close.

Frankg,
This might be best answered by reading your warranty or lease terms. I believe these docs are pretty specific.

Having said this, my leased '05 E46 M3 had several mods that didn't seem to bother my dealer: light weight engine pulley (one of my car sponsors)...Eisenmann exhaust (cat back)...much lighter weight than the OE exhaust. Eibach anti-roll bars front and rear (sponsor), SSR wheels w/Toyo RA1 tires (sponsors)...that set off my indirect TPMS!

Nothing radical...no air intakes or engine mods. I never had any hassles at dealer service intervals. My car was used for company magazine ads, TV commercials...car shows, and of course BMW CCA track events ('A' Class). What a hoot. I didn't turn it in under lease as the residual was "favorable," vs. market value, so I purchased it off lease...kept it a few more years and sold it. By that time I had "defeated" at least 150 hamster Prius cars on the road. Quite a proud record IMO.

SuperTerp 12-19-2012 05:29 PM

I'm getting ready to start cpo in march 13 and I also am getting Dinan so I'll be a Guinea pig to see if they'll play ball my best advice would be dinan because if you get it installed at a BMW dealer they almost can't deny you as long as your only using their products.

If thats not something your into buy a BT code reader and clear everything and uninstall everything before a dealer visit.

Squidget 12-19-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Typically, mods don't void a warranty. What they DO is allow the dealer to decline servicing where your mod MAY HAVE caused problems.

For example, a dealer can't refuse to service your turbocharger just because you got a brake mod. But they CAN refuse if you got an engine tune. Contract law varies, but that's the general guideline.

I think the burden of proof is on the dealer to show cause, but if they deny service that means you need to go to court. Generally, it's cheaper to for you to pay the repair costs, and dealers know this, so they will often go looking for an excuse.

Overall, mods are doable but carry extra risk. You may be in for a fight if the modded system, or anything tied to it, fails. Some dealers are cool with mods, some are not.

Frankg11 12-20-2012 09:49 AM

Thank you for this information. I guess I just need to say in the BMW T&C's along with the extended options when that time comes.

It's safer. However BMW performance parts should be covered. I will ask my SA that question.

Verts4Ever 12-20-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Clear bumper reflectors.

Frankg11 12-20-2012 11:36 AM

I like this! LOL..... That's good!