Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Engine/Car Life (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665050)

fmb 12-19-2012 07:00 PM

Engine/Car Life

I love my new too me 2010 328i.. I purchased it with 35k miles and was wondering typically hpw many miles this car/engine is expected to last. I'm a somewhat sporty driver but never hard on the car. I plane on having all sched maintenance done but really curious how many miles these awesome cars last before having trouble...150K..200K ? Any tips on prolonging the shelf life? Thanks in advance for any info.

3ismagic# 12-19-2012 07:25 PM

Search "Mike Miller maintenance".

The engine should be able to get there. It's a proven platform. The tranny/electronics are more questionable. You will have to replace some components along the way (cooling system).

Maintaining a BMW out of warranty can be expensive. But as long as you are willing to keep it up you should be good.

tturedraider 12-19-2012 07:29 PM

With regular routine maintenance and replacement of parts as they wear out you should be able to get 300,000+ miles without many worries. If you have iDrive it might not make it that long, but no one knows. There are already numerous Bimmerfesters who have past the 150,000 mile mark. With maintenance and necessary parts replacements the motor is virtually indestructible.

alpinweiss 12-19-2012 07:33 PM

The E90 328i LCI is one of the most reliable cars ever built by BMW, especially those built late in the model run. (Full disclosure: I own a 2011 E90 328i.) It would be hard to estimate the life of your BMW, since there are not a lot of equivalent cars with very high mileage yet. I would think 200k miles is a reasonable expectation, but that is just my opinion.

How to make your BMW last longer? Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Ignore the extended oil change intervals (15k), and change your engine oil every 5k miles (or at least every 7.5k miles). Also ignore the concept of "lifetime" fluids. Change them regularly. Get a copy of Mike Miller's (BMW Car Club) recommended maintenance schedule.

Finally, join the BMW Car Club. www.bmwcca.org

Congratulations on your new BMW!

:drive:

fmb 12-19-2012 08:46 PM

Thanks for the information gentlemen..

ctuna 12-19-2012 09:30 PM

Fyi

Google Mike Miller BMW
for the old school maintenance schedule.

mr29 12-19-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7260987)
The E90 328i LCI is one of the most reliable cars ever built by BMW, especially those built late in the model run. (Full disclosure: I own a 2011 E90 328i.) It would be hard to estimate the life of your BMW, since there are not a lot of equivalent cars with very high mileage yet. I would think 200k miles is a reasonable expectation, but that is just my opinion.

How to make your BMW last longer? Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Ignore the extended oil change intervals (15k), and change your engine oil every 5k miles (or at least every 7.5k miles). Also ignore the concept of "lifetime" fluids. Change them regularly. Get a copy of Mike Miller's (BMW Car Club) recommended maintenance schedule.

Finally, join the BMW Car Club. www.bmwcca.org

Congratulations on your new BMW!

:drive:

good advice

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App

PartyBoyWA 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7260987)
The E90 328i LCI is one of the most reliable cars ever built by BMW, especially those built late in the model run.

How come? I can't think of any differences in the pre-LCI vs. LCI that would make it any better in terms of longevity.

Just curious. Thanks!

tturedraider 12-19-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA (Post 7261186)
How come? I can't think of any differences in the pre-LCI vs. LCI that would make it any better in terms of longevity.

Just curious. Thanks!

Me either.

3284me 12-20-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7260974)
With regular routine maintenance and replacement of parts as they wear out you should be able to get 300,000+ miles without many worries. If you have iDrive it might not make it that long, but no one knows. There are already numerous Bimmerfesters who have past the 150,000 mile mark. With maintenance and necessary parts replacements the motor is virtually indestructible.

What does iDrive have to do with engine longevity?

PartyBoyWA 12-20-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3284me (Post 7261382)
What does iDrive have to do with engine longevity?

The OP asked about "engine/car life". So I guess the thought is that once iDrive walks off the job, the car's life is over. I think that makes sense.

MP3_E46 12-20-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmb (Post 7260901)
I love my new too me 2010 328i.. I purchased it with 35k miles and was wondering typically hpw many miles this car/engine is expected to last. I'm a somewhat sporty driver but never hard on the car. I plane on having all sched maintenance done but really curious how many miles these awesome cars last before having trouble...150K..200K ? Any tips on prolonging the shelf life? Thanks in advance for any info.

Auto transmission failure kills most cars (cost to repair > value of most cars much past ~120K miles) . Change transmission fluid every 50K miles to significantly increase its lifespan + other fluids at least every four years apart from power steering which really should last a long time (change it often too if you like). Run Technron through before every oil change; not sure how many cars carbon build-up actually kills but it necessitates fairly expensive repair in many.

Once a car is out of warranty most people do nothing but change the oil. Mike Miller schedule works but is a bit OTT IMO.

Zeichen311 12-20-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA (Post 7261415)
The OP asked about "engine/car life". So I guess the thought is that once iDrive walks off the job, the car's life is over. I think that makes sense.

iDrive is an infotainment platform. It is not essential to any critical operational functions of the car. There are aftermarket replacements for virtually every major function (CD/USB, satellite radio/navigation, hands-free telephony, etc.), though of course none are as well-integrated. All in all, only a few convenience features would be forever lost if the display, controller or electronics took a permanent holiday.

Cars are collections of electromechanical systems that can be serviced, refurbished and/or replaced almost indefinitely, until parts are no longer available, can no longer be fabricated and/or the body structure collapses around them--and when it does, you can usually rebuild that, too. The only practical measure of a car's lifetime is the amount of money you are willing to pour into it. When the cost of a given repair exceeds the car's value to you, the car's life is over.

My E46 had 214,000 miles on the clock and was in fantastic condition when I sold it. However, by then it had had several four-figure repair bills, any of which might have led a more frugal or practical owner to decide it had reached the end.

In the truest sense, "your mileage may vary." ;)

CALWATERBOY 12-20-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmb (Post 7260901)

If.....IF....you are looking at a high mileage future, shoulda bought a diesel.

Gasoline motors are delightfully responsive and immediate, but a diesel will outlast you and I. 335d owners are advised to seek legal consul at purchase close, re: designation of heir.

What milage, trouble free? Low. A potpourri of issues lie in wait for the hapless 328i....from VANOS solenoid cleaning to a software codes, engine problems can and do occur in the warranty period and beyond. 300k is a mighty push for the N52, and may involve significant maintenance expense.

OTOH, a diesel is >just< broken in at 100k, and will easily pass 300k feeling like new and hardly breathing hard. My own diesel is nearly at 450k mi and going strong - expect at least 500k before an overhaul is needed, often much more.

Fuel economy & engine torque. Meditate on those a bit.

BiHoTTo115 12-20-2012 07:07 AM

139,9xx on my clock, car running like a champion. I do check ups myself by looking at everything in detail, from the engine, to underneath, to make sure nothing is on its way out. Also have a VERY mechanically inclined father, so that helps a lot.

New tires and new brakes/rotors, now need to get all fluids I can flushed, and check other odds/ends. It's a never ending cycle, but I like it.

spicytofu 12-20-2012 07:56 AM

Most people worry about the engine all too often. Modern engines will last way over 200k easily if you keep the maintenance up. That is pretty much just oil changes. I think the question people want to know is how long the car will last itself. Leaking seals, faulty electronics, cracking hoses, etc...are far more likely to happen before any mechanical failure of the engine itself.

CALWATERBOY 12-20-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicytofu (Post 7261699)
Most people worry about the engine all too often. Modern engines will last way over 200k easily if you keep the maintenance up. That is pretty much just oil changes. I think the question people want to know is how long the car will last itself. Leaking seals, faulty electronics, cracking hoses, etc...are far more likely to happen before any mechanical failure of the engine itself.

My convertible hard top will be operating smoothly when the Egyptian Pyramids have crumbled to dust!

A tribute to German engineering.

fun2drive 12-20-2012 07:03 PM

I remember when the E36 M3 came out and many said oh it will last maybe 100K. Yeah right. Newer engines run so well for so long especially with terrific lubrication that 300K miles is conservative more like 400K miles is when I would expect failure of a major component. My friend who is driving my 284K mile BMW M3 convertible has put thousands more on it now. Transmission should go well past 200K miles if you change the fluid and filter every 50K miles.
Fix what breaks and nothing much other than typical failures like window motor wiper motor broke on the car.

You will be long tired of the car before the engine fails unless you don't pay attention to a water pump failure which would/could take the head gasket out.
As mentioned above periodic maintenance is essential to long life of a BMW. You can run it 100K miles and do nothing but you will pay for that in the next 100K miles...

SD Z4MR 12-20-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7262787)
My convertible hard top will be operating smoothly when the Egyptian Pyramids have crumbled to dust!

A tribute to German engineering.

Failure of the hydraulic pump on E85 (rag top) Z4s (2002-2008) is a known problem and the Z4 forums have many accounts of hydraulic pump failure. Many owners have the pump rebuilt because it is too expensive to replace (the entire convertible top has to be removed first). Just a guess, but I'll bet that your hardtop E93 uses a similar system, as do probably all other BMW 'verts made in the last 10 years, possibly longer. On top of that, your hard top weighs a lot more than a fabric top, requiring even more hydraulic pressure to operate. If I recall, there have been several reports here on Bimmerfest that the various cords that BMW uses can fray and require replacement.

In other words, don't count on it!

My 2000 S2000 used electric motors (and no cords) and never failed in the 13 years that I owned it. I've never heard of a S2000 top failing, although the fabric needed to be replaced after 10 years.

To the OP: As others have mentioned, if you perform regular suggested maintenance, you will probably get tired of the car before it reaches the end of its useful life.

People have suggested Googling Mike Miller's Old Time Maintenance Schedule, but here is what Mike puts at the top of each version:
Please do not post on the Internet. Two reasons:
1) This document is copyrighted.
2) It gets updated periodically.
In other words, you need to find his e-mail address (hint: he writes for the Roundel and for Bimmer Magazine) and e-mail him directly to get his latest version.

MP3_E46 12-21-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7261506)
If.....IF....you are looking at a high mileage future, shoulda bought a diesel

True but there are already cheap used E9x motors on the market from wrecked cars. New vehicles are so affordable that most cars are junked at 120->150K miles.

Most diesels these days have turbos, high pressure DI, bluetech and a bunch of other things to go wrong... now electric cars... they are simple motors and will run forever :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7262970)
Failure of the hydraulic pump on E85 (rag top) Z4s (2002-2008) is a known problem and the Z4 forums have many accounts of hydraulic pump failure.

Will never have a failure on my MX-5's roof motor. Just two years later try finding a new 5sp car with manual roof. Most are auto transmission, maybe 10% 6sp but most have the Power Retractable Hard Top.

CALWATERBOY 12-21-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7263213)
True but there are already cheap used E9x motors on the market from wrecked cars. New vehicles are so affordable that most cars are junked at 120->150K miles.

Most diesels these days have turbos, high pressure DI, bluetech and a bunch of other things to go wrong... now electric cars... they are simple motors and will run forever.

But would you want to pay the cost of BMW motor + R&R? I argue: Most don't agree $60-80k BMW's are inexpensive, buying and/or maintaining.

Electric motors heaven sent....too bad energy density's not there t'run 'em. If it was internal combustion would be gone baby, gone!

MP3_E46 12-21-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7263278)
But would you want to pay the cost of BMW motor + R&R? I argue: Most don't agree $60-80k BMW's are inexpensive, buying and/or maintaining

It's relative. Most that own BMWs till they die pick them up used for ~$20K. There is always a a plentiful supply of 3->5 year old 3 and 5 series cars in the 17->25K range. Once a $4K repair bill arrives most dump their 10+ year old car and buy another used for $20K.

Luckily there are lots of filthy rich people who provide us with an oversupply of used BMWs. Mine was 57% of MSRP after 10.3K miles IIRC :thumbup: