Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Euro Light Switch Mod (Rear Fog Lights) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665415)

Itinj6 12-21-2012 07:36 PM

Euro Light Switch Mod (Rear Fog Lights)
 
7 Attachment(s)
A simple and relativity inexpensive mod. It's true plug n play. Just remove the old and add the new. I got the switch from ECS Tuning and got help with the install from Motorcepts in Queens, NY. They are an awesome Indy if anyone needs any work done in the NY Metro area. They work mostly on BMW and the guys that own and work there are passionate BMW owners themselves. Great pricing as well. If anyone needs help with a DIY for the install on this mod, I watched them do it so I can write something up. *** Q7650i*** It is a genuine BMW part.

Now for the pics:

The switch lit up at night. It is below the front fog light switch
Attachment 354132

The indicator in the cluster
Attachment 354133

The indicator in the cluster next to the front fog light indicator
Attachment 354134

Lit up at night. It uses the bulbs for the brake force display and they are plenty bright. I even have tints on my tail lights
Attachment 354135
Attachment 354136

Without them on
Attachment 354137
Attachment 354138


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

southern6er22 12-21-2012 08:11 PM

Very cool!

Itinj6 01-04-2013 11:42 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick DIY install for anyone interested (650iQ7) Im going strictly by memory and by what I saw my Indy mechanic do so it may not be 100% accurate but I can assure is pretty close.

Tools:
1) Torx 20 screw driver
2) Trim safe prying tool. (Recommended so as not to scratch anything)

First, remove this trim piece. IIRC, it pops up. No screws involved. This will expose the trim as it causes a lip to not allow the trim to come out.
Attachment 355950
Attachment 355951

Next, using a trim removing tool, slowly work the black plastic siding out. It doesn't have to come out all the way. Just enough to expose the Torx 20 screw and light switch backing for removal. Remove the Torx 20 screw. I can't remember if the screw is abeam the trim or the light switch but its the somewhere. If it's not removed n damage can occur from pulling the trim and/or light switch
Attachment 355955
Attachment 355956

Then work out the trim with a trim removal tool. Doesn't have to be remove completely. Just enough to expose what's behind it. The rest should be easy peezy. Pull out the switch and wording harness and replace with new one. There are more screws to remove here but they will be noticeable for the switch swap. Reverse the process to put everything back together.
Attachment 355959

I should have taken video of this and I'm upset that I didn't but hopefully this is enough to get you going. Like I said, I didn't do the actual work and I don't have the trim removal tools to reproduce this DIY but I remember a lot of what the Indy did.

southern6er22 01-04-2013 05:31 PM

Very nice walk-through. I don't think I would tackle this myself. I know I'd scratch my trim, or worse, my NAPPA!!!!! I think I'd die ;)

Itinj6 01-04-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7290594)
Very nice walk-through. I don't think I would tackle this myself. I know I'd scratch my trim, or worse, my NAPPA!!!!! I think I'd die ;)

Thanks. I didn't want to do it myself either but I know 650iQ7 has this euro light switch and he hasn't been able to find an installer. I had him in mind when I watched my Indy install it and I wrote this up for him as best I could. In hindsight, I shouldve video'd it. I'm an idiot. Anyway, instead of sending it to him direct, I posted here in case someone needs this in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

southern6er22 01-04-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itinj6 (Post 7290775)
In hindsight, I shouldve video'd it. I'm an idiot.

Yeah, you shoulda taken a page outta the ol' Southey handbook. lol. JK ;)

Your annotated pics should be sufficient for anyone with more mechanical prowess than me - which doesn't take much :D

Itinj6 01-05-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7290832)
Yeah, you shoulda taken a page outta the ol' Southey handbook. lol. JK ;)

Your annotated pics should be sufficient for anyone with more mechanical prowess than me - which doesn't take much :D

I guess I'm a young padawan too lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

petriej 01-07-2013 10:10 AM

You guys have to get past that fear to get in there and root around. This was on my list of todo's for my e63, but never got to it.

Just make sure you use the right tool for the job, and get yourself 2-3 times the extra replacement clips for trim, etc. They like to break when you remove them. Luckily they're cheap, so you can stock up on them and not have to worry.


Nice writeup! I found it funny how your images are all oriented sideways. Nice troll job.

Itinj6 01-07-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petriej (Post 7296208)
You guys have to get past that fear to get in there and root around. This was on my list of todo's for my e63, but never got to it.

Just make sure you use the right tool for the job, and get yourself 2-3 times the extra replacement clips for trim, etc. They like to break when you remove them. Luckily they're cheap, so you can stock up on them and not have to worry.


Nice writeup! I found it funny how your images are all oriented sideways. Nice troll job.

New phone. Still trying to figure out the camera features lol. Just took the photos and posted them. Didn't mean for them to be sideways.

As far as digging in there, I dunno. I'd rather pay someone who is experienced a few extra bucks to do it right rather than break stuff and have to replace. That would upset me. I have no desire to play trial and error on my baby. Believe me, I've thought about it and even bought the tools for all the mods i wanted to do but backed out. If it was a project car, then no problem. This install was free of charge for me anyway.


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

southern6er22 01-07-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itinj6 (Post 7297262)
I'd rather pay someone who is experienced a few extra bucks to do it right rather than break stuff and have to replace.

Don't you mean, "[...] rather than break stuff that BMW has to replace"? ;)

I'm still waiting for you to find a way to have BMW give you a GC so you can finish working your way through the 6er family. :rofl:

Itinj6 01-07-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 7297555)
Don't you mean, "[...] rather than break stuff that BMW has to replace"? ;)

I'm still waiting for you to find a way to have BMW give you a GC so you can finish working your way through the 6er family. :rofl:

I see that you still find it difficult to believe that your beloved BMW can produce a flawed product... so it must've been user error, ehh.

LOL :)

Anyways, I'm good with the Coupe. I don't really have an interest in the GC so they can keep it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms