Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Did you break in your new F30 properly? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666011)

DavidM1975 12-24-2012 08:19 PM

Did you break in your new F30 properly?
 
From the owner's manual:

"The following instructions will help achieve a long vehicle life and good economy:

Up to 1200 miles/2000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed
For gasoline engine, 4500 rpm an 100mph/160km/h

Avoid full throttle operation and use of the transmission's kickdown mode for the initial miles."


Did you pay attention to that for the first 1200 miles? Any other special treatment and precautions you were following during the breaking in period?

armybiker 12-25-2012 01:13 AM

I'm still in my break in period and anxiously waiting to hit it so I can take her out for a spin.

I'm doing it because this car is smarter than any one of us and there is no way to lie. They will be able to tell and could void the warranty.

Plus who needs to go over 100mph?? :)

DMonE621 12-25-2012 04:53 AM

Break in?! Really!?!?

I drove it hard from the moment I got in it. Actually, I peeled out of the dealership parking lot and I have X-drive! It's a BMW, it wants to be driven. Drive it like you stole it:thumbup:!

Sea Ray Mark 12-25-2012 05:32 AM

I drove it pretty hard the first two times and then I found out about the break in period so I'm taking it easy now. 4500 RPM is where the fun starts.

jdong 12-25-2012 08:37 AM

Yup, briefly drove it hard on the test drive, and then had to floor it once or twice on an on ramp to merge. Other than that, stuck with the break in instructions. Up to 1200 miles finally.

leewtech 12-25-2012 08:44 AM

Do what the manual says. Especially if you own it and want to keep it a long time. And most of all drive it so those 1200 miles become a quick memory.

Lease people.....redline every shift from mile 1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Ryan... 12-25-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMonE621 (Post 7270033)
Break in?! Really!?!?

I drove it hard from the moment I got in it. Actually, I peeled out of the dealership parking lot and I have X-drive! It's a BMW, it wants to be driven. Drive it like you stole it:thumbup:!

Children, these are the people you DONT buy cars from :tsk:

CE750Jockey 12-25-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leewtech (Post 7270227)
Do what the manual says. Especially if you own it and want to keep it a long time. And most of all drive it so those 1200 miles become a quick memory.

Lease people.....redline every shift from mile 1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

You got that right. Break-in period? We don't need no stinkin' break-in period!

Jamesonsviggen 12-25-2012 10:28 AM

I followed the manual and waited to dyno until the break in was done.

DavidM1975 12-25-2012 12:12 PM

You dyno'd your car? Why? Did any mods? Did you post the results?

Jamesonsviggen 12-25-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidM1975 (Post 7270466)
You dyno'd your car? Why? Did any mods? Did you post the results?

I did it to baseline before modding.

I dyno on a heart breaker load bearing dyno, not a Dynojet.

I had posted the before and after of the exhaust. I had a 6.5whp gain and 20ft lbs with the bypass open.

Tomjh 12-25-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE750Jockey (Post 7270296)
You got that right. Break-in period? We don't need no stinkin' break-in period!

This one reason I decided to buy new. I tried to break it in right . I am up to about 5000 miles and it is still gaining power. I would still break it in right even if if I leased out of respect for the engineering and the next person who might buy it. :)

Schnel3 12-25-2012 09:45 PM

I have been told to take it easy on the engine for the first 1000 miles. Try not to exceed 100mph and try to drive in different speed ranges. I am a new BMW owner myself, have just purchased a 2013 335i xdrive sport line. I'm learning as I go, so far I'm in love with the car!

vonmayr 12-25-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan... (Post 7270230)
Children, these are the people you DONT buy cars from :tsk:

And that, right there. is the number one reason I bypassed CPO. Of course you pay for that "privelege" to take the big depreciation hit, but if you plan to keep the car for a while you at least know how the car was taken care of from the get go.

Taeksoo 12-25-2012 10:06 PM

Right or wrong, I just got mine Sat and away for the weekend. So I took long highway drive today.
I tried to keep it under 4.5k and under 100 miles.. Not much problem.
I did notice the car improved a little bit more after this long drive when I took it out again for a short drive at night.
So I guess I can imagine it getting better as I drive it more. But not really sure what the long term effect will be as this is my first BMW. I guess I'll live and learn.
If you are not new to BMW then share your wisdom please for the new comers.
Love the car!!! Best I ever had and hoping to keep it in that state for a long long time!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

CALWATERBOY 12-26-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidM1975 (Post 7269810)
From the owner's manual:

"The following instructions will help achieve a long vehicle life and good economy:

Up to 1200 miles/2000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed
For gasoline engine, 4500 rpm an 100mph/160km/h

Avoid full throttle operation and use of the transmission's kickdown mode for the initial miles."


Did you pay attention to that for the first 1200 miles? Any other special treatment and precautions you were following during the breaking in period?


Ah, yessssssss....DO avoid 100+mph operation for the break-in period.

After, no need to pay attention to speed limits.

blonyskin 12-26-2012 07:06 AM

I completely argee with Vonmayr!

wayner44 12-26-2012 12:18 PM

I took my car to red line through the gears before the first 200 miles. My CA and the manager of the dealership I bought the car from said there is no need to bread in the car. The manager use to race m3's and knows a thing or two about cars. Stop wasting your miles babying the car. Drive it like you stole it.

SergioK 12-26-2012 12:43 PM

I know a guy who knows a guy who used to build engines... but here's the kicker, he didn't design and engineer them, nor actually manufacture them. I'll take the manufacturers word for it over the guy you know and his relatively narrow real world experience.

The X Men 12-26-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7271831)
I took my car to red line through the gears before the first 200 miles. My CA and the manager of the dealership I bought the car from said there is no need to bread in the car. The manager use to race m3's and knows a thing or two about cars. Stop wasting your miles babying the car. Drive it like you stole it.

Ahhhhhhhh, yes, all the salesmans I have talked to knows more technically about BMWs than the German BMW engineers who design the car :) :)

DavidM1975 12-26-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7271831)
I took my car to red line through the gears before the first 200 miles. My CA and the manager of the dealership I bought the car from said there is no need to bread in the car. The manager use to race m3's and knows a thing or two about cars. Stop wasting your miles babying the car. Drive it like you stole it.

No disrespect meant but if I had to pick between these two sources of advice I think I'll trust the owner's manual. :)

Jamesonsviggen 12-26-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidM1975 (Post 7272070)
No disrespect meant but if I had to pick between these two sources of advice I think I'll trust the owner's manual. :)

Especially if something breaks and I now have to go to the dealer. Many cars today have black boxes. So enjoy them having a look at how you floated a valve at 6500rpms when your car had 500 miles on it!

CALWATERBOY 12-26-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner44 (Post 7271831)
I took my car to red line through the gears before the first 200 miles. My CA and the manager of the dealership I bought the car from said there is no need to bread in the car. The manager use to race m3's and knows a thing or two about cars. Stop wasting your miles babying the car. Drive it like you stole it.


Ask that expert if he knows what a wear surface is.

Follow BMW's recommendation - it's better that way.

jlukja 12-26-2012 08:12 PM

Yes. Followed the manual's recommendation.

jlopez 12-26-2012 09:44 PM

Glad I came across this thread. I take delivery on my 2013 335i msport in the AM, this may curve my heavy foot.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms