Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   odds of dealer having a RFT tire in stock... update (all rims broken, sigh) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666093)

hans007 12-25-2012 02:47 PM

odds of dealer having a RFT tire in stock... update (all rims broken, sigh)

being an idiot , i ran over some sort of short curb with my car on xmas eve after my family's xmas party.

actually scraped up the underside of my m-sport bumper (though its only on the bottom, so i guess you'll never see it unless you get down on the ground and look) so thats not my biggest concern.

but i blew out my front left tire with only 900 miles on it. i'm figuring i only have to replace the one tire for tread wear reasons at least

anyway its a bridgestone s001 . Given i have work tommorrow and work near a BMW dealer, do they usually have these in stock? its a pretty new tire... so im thinking maybe not (and it costs $300 on tirerack sigh). if they dont have it, do they give loaners or do you have to rent one?

Also i have to say runflat tires are kind of awesome. i had to drive home so i just drove 20 miles or so on it. its obviously jittery etc, but it will get you there at 45-50mph. now i could have changed out a dummy spare but still saving you from that is kind of nice, plus it did deflate in a very controlled manner.

jdong 12-25-2012 03:14 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Remember to bust open that tire warranty from the plastic wrap and check its terms -- most of these RFTs have some sort of 1 year road hazard protection. It's unclear whether negligent running of a curb is a "road hazard", but that should be spelled out in the warranty pamphlet.

RFTs do seem pretty nice. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much they drive like normal tires. After hearing all the car magazines bicker about BMW and RFTs, I came in with low expectations. I do like the idea of being able to drive on them after a puncture. Just two weeks ago around here, 3 people were killed on the highway while changing a tire.

hans007 12-25-2012 05:35 PM

oh well decided i'd just order a tire from tire rack to ship to a tire place down the street. it does suck that nicer cars have tires that are not common.

luckily i knew someone with a car i could borrow. i'm 99% certain BMW would not warranty this or have the tire in stock.

hans007 12-27-2012 07:53 PM

so apparently what happened was i ran over 3" tall concrete island in the town my parents live in while i was there for xmas.

it was xmas eve, so they shut all the street lights off becuase everything is closed on xmas. so i drove under part of a mall in town which opens to that little island, which cuts off the left lane (there is no sign or anything other than an arrow painted on the ground, i suppose had the lights been on you could probably see the island). anyway the tunnel was unlit, and so were all the street lights because of the holiday.

so the tire shop today took a closer look at it today when the replacement potenza s001 came. AND... well lets just say this was the worst xmas ever. i bent both rims, and also ruined my other runflat. so they ordered me two new rims, and another tires... total cost $1800!

YEAH!!!!

given all that , and having had anything remotely happen like this before . make you almost want to buy tire and wheel insurance. almost.

HugH 12-27-2012 08:41 PM

!!!!

Feliz navidad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KLC 12-27-2012 11:57 PM

For a bit more you could have bought yourself 4 new rims and ps2's.

3ismagic# 12-28-2012 04:35 AM

Alignment is probably FUBAR as well.

hans007 12-28-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLC (Post 7274861)
For a bit more you could have bought yourself 4 new rims and ps2's.

I actually like the stock 400m rims. Had thought about just getting 4 new tires but I had already bought one tire. Yeah basically a disaster in every possible way. I kind of was in a just take my money and make it go away mood. They said the rims would take a bit to get here and they were going to close early nye and be closed new years so I said screw it just overnight them. So in theory it'll be fixed today

The X Men 12-28-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ismagic# (Post 7274969)
Alignment is probably FUBAR as well.

Depending on how fast the OP was going when he hit the curb, there might be some suspension damage as well. Its a good thing the OP had runflats, otherwise, he would have been stuck on the side of road on Xmas eve.

hans007 12-28-2012 07:19 AM

I decided once everything is fixed I'm going to take the two bad rims and try to build a coffee table out of them. One piece of glass some rubber padding and something to lift the rims about a foot higher. Gonna make lemonade out of my lemons

hans007 12-28-2012 07:33 AM

I'd say I was going maybe 20. It didn't really seem like a huge impact when it happened. Tire shop guy was saying they had replaced 400-500 rims on bmws so he thought they just werent that strong. I had heard about a lot of f10 rims being damaged just from potholes so maybe there's some truth to it I don't know

The X Men 12-28-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hans007 (Post 7275093)
I'd say I was going maybe 20. It didn't really seem like a huge impact when it happened. Tire shop guy was saying they had replaced 400-500 rims on bmws so he thought they just werent that strong. I had heard about a lot of f10 rims being damaged just from potholes so maybe there's some truth to it I don't know

If you hit a curb straight on at 20 MPH, you can cause a lot of damage. BMW rims does bent easily. Have you ask your tire shop guy about tire insuarnce, its usually much cheaper than the dealer, but its doesnt cover rims, just tires.

hans007 12-28-2012 12:09 PM

i actually found where it happened on google street view.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...37732383_n.jpg

so basically all the lights were off on the street at around 11pm and i was driving on the lane along where the red arrow is. the only light was the stop light at the major street way on the other end and i was coming out of that dark area.

i still feel a little stupid, but honestly it was not something you'd immediately assume was going to be there. they are doing an alignment and putting my new rims on right now . doesnt seem like there was a suspension issue, so i guess i just have 2 broken rims and a much lighter wallet. will make 2 neat cofee tables with these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10106303/

hans007 12-28-2012 06:37 PM

haha...

im just laughing about this now. since i've hit rock bottom. i guess in the end, half the posts on this forum are guys like me moaning about **** going wrong on our really expensive brand new cars. its not that bad a problem to have.

anyway got car back. got car aligned. noticed rear rims were also bent. tires are ok though!
so had to order 2 rear rims. which are not in stock possibly. on the bright side... 4 bmw m-sport 400M coffee tables for my coworkers and i.

gweeta 12-28-2012 07:32 PM

Ouch!!

If it makes you feel any better, I can see how it happened. It's a little weird how the curb intrudes into the lane (even though it's left turn only).

Anyway, I've done plenty of dumber things (smashing my roof mounted bike into the garage leaps to mind), so don't beat yourself up. Pretty soon it'll just be a memory.

The X Men 12-29-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hans007 (Post 7276366)
haha...

im just laughing about this now. since i've hit rock bottom. i guess in the end, half the posts on this forum are guys like me moaning about **** going wrong on our really expensive brand new cars. its not that bad a problem to have.

anyway got car back. got car aligned. noticed rear rims were also bent. tires are ok though!
so had to order 2 rear rims. which are not in stock possibly. on the bright side... 4 bmw m-sport 400M coffee tables for my coworkers and i.

Did you fill a claim with your insuarnce company?

hans007 12-29-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7277745)
Did you fill a claim with your insuarnce company?

Haven't yet . I will probably just eat it since they will just screw me on rates again since I got in a fender bender a couple years back and got ass raped for it. Mercury doesn't like minor accidents .... I suppose I screwed myself having gone all piece meal on the replacements as I found out how many rims were bent etc ( since I didn't see the second two until later). When it was one tire.. I figured it was less than my deductible. When it was two rims after I already bought the tire it was only a bit over my deductible and not worth the hassle. And now its two more rims which are again a little over the deductible. Car actually drives almost OK with the bent rear rims and new fronts. Probably barely rougher than the scion tc I borrowed and mostly because my right rear rim is much worse then the left

I gotta say i went into a just take my money and fix it as soon as possible mode the other day. Maybe it was the whole my holidays sucked ness of it all and that my car is a month old. Was hoping I could have it all done with before the new year. Yes illogical but it would have felt good . Not that concerned about the money I guess just pissed off the whole thing happened. When the rear rims arrive I'm going to just put this behind me.

volsfan0911 12-29-2012 03:08 PM

I just slid on a unexpected snow/ice storm on 12/26. Hit the curb doing 20 mph approximately. Preliminary inspection is a busted ABS sensor along with a bent tie rod. I filed a claim so will only be out of pocket $500 plus rental costs (maybe $0.27 per day over the allowance so it'll be negligible). But it sucks to f@&%^$ up your car. that's for sure. Hell of a way to start 2013 probably :mad:

hans007 12-29-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volsfan0911 (Post 7277868)
I just slid on a unexpected snow/ice storm on 12/26. Hit the curb doing 20 mph approximately. Preliminary inspection is a busted ABS sensor along with a bent tie rod. I filed a claim so will only be out of pocket $500 plus rental costs (maybe $0.27 per day over the allowance so it'll be negligible). But it sucks to f@&%^$ up your car. that's for sure. Hell of a way to start 2013 probably :mad:

Ouch. My condolenses. I do feel kind of luck because the island ran over is pretty low and curved so I am told my suspension was undamaged. I'd think i'd feel less bad about what you did since its ice to be honest, i dont have excuses like that in socal haha. well we'll get our babies back good as new soon. heres to a mishap free 2013!

dtc100 12-29-2012 11:55 PM

With that kind of money, I would file a claim with the insurance. That is why we buy insurance. If they raise your premium too much, change insurance provider.

chris328 01-03-2013 11:37 AM

A similar thing happened to me in my '08. Stupid double sided curb in the middle of a parking lot that was not painted; it was painted exactly the same color as all the surrounding concrete. It's like whoever was responsible secretly thought in their mind, "Hahaha, can't wait to get the sucker who doesnt notice THIS!"

Didn't damage any rims / tires as I was only trolling along at about 2 mph. But I did scratch the hell out of the left rocker panel.

Leslierc 01-03-2013 12:04 PM

Have to say that based on the repair estimate...$1800...the wheel and tire hazard insurance would have definitely paid for itself. Sucks that this happened. Sorry....

spicytofu 01-03-2013 01:15 PM

The worst is when you run over road debris, like how I ran over this wooden log in the middle of the lane! WTFFF....

akaMomo 01-03-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtc100 (Post 7278723)
with that kind of money, i would file a claim with the insurance. That is why we buy insurance. If they raise your premium too much, change insurance provider.

+1

hans007 01-03-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akaMomo (Post 7287291)
+1

yeah i called them. im hoping this isnt a horrible hassle.