Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   ideas for cell phone holder in ashtray (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666309)

jw 12-26-2012 09:15 PM

ideas for cell phone holder in ashtray

Looking for some ideas to hold my cell phone and not take up the cup holders. Ashtray seems to be a great fit although tit's a bit shallow and the phone slides out around turns. Anyone seen anything I might use to mount the phone?

Needsdecaf 12-27-2012 05:47 AM

How accessible do you need it? I stow it in the door pocket, and it stays out and is very accessible. Also, the small compartment to the left of the wheel is a good spot.

jw 12-27-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7272917)
How accessible do you need it? I stow it in the door pocket, and it stays out and is very accessible. Also, the small compartment to the left of the wheel is a good spot.

Wanting to keep it accessible. I'm always looking to keep it charged since I've usually depleted the battery before getting in the car.

Needsdecaf 12-27-2012 07:06 AM

If I needed to keep it charged, I used the plug in the passenger footwell, and just stashed the phone in the cup holder, between the edge of the holder assembly and the opening. Worked fine.

jw 12-27-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7273020)
If I needed to keep it charged, I used the plug in the passenger footwell, and just stashed the phone in the cup holder, between the edge of the holder assembly and the opening. Worked fine.

I didn't know there was a plug in the passenger footwell. Have been using the plug in the cup holder for now. I'll have to take a closer look at the car.

chuck92116 12-27-2012 09:05 AM

http://www.proclipusa.com/

If you want to mount your cell phone on your dashboard, because maybe you're a Waze fan, this company is for you.

Car dashboards are a horror for mounting anything aftermarket. They're full of curved surfaces, and different materials, often textured, so that suction cups don't work, etc.

So this company has a two part solution. One part specialized for your specific car, and the other part specialized for your particular phone. The two parts screw together.

You tell them your car's make & model & year, and they identify the right part for the car. Some of them clip on air conditioning vents, some of them clip into dashboard seams, etc.

You tell them your phone make & model, and they give you a selection of different parts that can hold the phone. Some tilt, some don't. Some have openings for a charger cable. Some have a built in charger cable. Etc.

Huge array of stuff.

jw 12-27-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92116 (Post 7273246)
http://www.proclipusa.com/

If you want to mount your cell phone on your dashboard, because maybe you're a Waze fan, this company is for you.

Car dashboards are a horror for mounting anything aftermarket. They're full of curved surfaces, and different materials, often textured, so that suction cups don't work, etc.

So this company has a two part solution. One part specialized for your specific car, and the other part specialized for your particular phone. The two parts screw together.

You tell them your car's make & model & year, and they identify the right part for the car. Some of them clip on air conditioning vents, some of them clip into dashboard seams, etc.

You tell them your phone make & model, and they give you a selection of different parts that can hold the phone. Some tilt, some don't. Some have openings for a charger cable. Some have a built in charger cable. Etc.

Huge array of stuff.

Love Waze! And I knew about the proclip products. I've considered getting one because the phone heats up to ridiculous temps with the screen staying on. Mounting on the vent keeps it cool. But this is something we only use for long trips or out of town locations. Otherwise, the stock nav is what I use.

Saw a post on another forum that suggest black Crayola modeling clay. :)

Bikie 12-27-2012 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Arkon vent mount. 10 bucks on Amazon.comAttachment 354837 works great. I use it with Waze app. Easy to remove.

Needsdecaf 12-27-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw (Post 7273181)
I didn't know there was a plug in the passenger footwell. Have been using the plug in the cup holder for now. I'll have to take a closer look at the car.

It's where your toes would be if you were a passenger. Down past the bottom of the glovebox.

NCSUAlum 12-27-2012 12:56 PM

Thanks for the Arkon recommendation. Ordered one today from Amazon.

Keyser Soze 12-27-2012 01:15 PM

I have a cheapo one like the Arkon as well but it plugs into the CD slot so it doesn't block any vents

rikwynn 12-29-2012 05:55 PM

Get the snap in holder

I bought the blackberry snap in adapter right away and it's great. Keeps the phone fully charged and out of the way

alewifebp 12-29-2012 06:46 PM

I just keep it in the cupholder.

ausdude 12-29-2012 06:57 PM

My passengers always use the ashtray for their phones. I must agree that the last thing I want in a 80k dollar car is an ashtray

luigi524td 12-30-2012 05:24 AM

Places for "Smart"phone

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausdude (Post 7278382)
My passengers always use the ashtray for their phones. I must agree that the last thing I want in a 80k dollar car is an ashtray

I'll have to give that a try and the footwell 12v port too since I am not happy with having to keep the lid open to plug in my phone. I don't think there's a 12v outlet in the center console where I connect the USB to the phone. That would make it super convenient to store, charge and USB.

Phones change configurations so often it hasn't made sense for me to buy a snap-in holder for $100+$$s. That would have cost me lots since my BMWs have had that capability for 10+ years and I've changed phones nearly every year :cry:

luigi524td 01-01-2013 08:16 AM

there is a 12v port in center console storage bin

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi524td (Post 7278867)
I'll have to give that a try and the footwell 12v port too since I am not happy with having to keep the lid open to plug in my phone. I don't think there's a 12v outlet in the center console where I connect the USB to the phone. That would make it super convenient to store, charge and USB.

Phones change configurations so often it hasn't made sense for me to buy a snap-in holder for $100+$$s. That would have cost me lots since my BMWs have had that capability for 10+ years and I've changed phones nearly every year :cry:

There is 12v in the center storage area ... So, I may just tuck the phone there when I'm driving. Except for ease of grabbing it when I get out of the car there's little need to have it sitting out. Besides it just flops over when I do any spirited cornering whether it's in the cup holder area or in the "ash tray" thingie.

djsilo 01-01-2013 08:59 AM

I have the snap in adapter for iPhone 4S and I bought a docxtender cable (for media) and I lead the cable out the arm rest and close the arm rest on it and rest my phone in the cup holder. ...as for the ashtray I bought the coin holder cup from get BMW parts and I keep a half roll of quarters in there.

TGray5 01-01-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsilo (Post 7282474)
I have the snap in adapter for iPhone 4S and I bought a docxtender cable (for media) and I lead the cable out the arm rest and close the arm rest on it and rest my phone in the cup holder. ...as for the ashtray I bought the coin holder cup from get BMW parts and I keep a half roll of quarters in there.

Do you have a picture of the coin holder? Sounds like a good idea. How much was it?