Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   grade of gas (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666371)

HudaBmw 12-27-2012 08:19 AM

grade of gas

I have e46 05 325xi. It is recommended that I put in ultra 91. Some gas stations offer ultra 94. Is it ok for my car to take ultra 94, will it be better? Or should I avoid it?

Fast Bob 12-27-2012 09:02 AM

Using the best fuel available is fine.

bluebee 12-27-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudaBmw (Post 7273148)
Is it ok for my car to take ultra 94, will it be better?

This is a typical troll question - so - I'll be brief.

If your engine was designed for, say, 91 AKI, and if it's running properly (i.e., timing, exhaust gas recirc, cooling, compression, etc.), and if you're not lugging the engine or towing trailers up steep hills ... then ... it's IMPOSSIBLE to get better anything (i.e., performance, mpg, power, etc.) using a higher octane rated fuel than what the engine was designed for. Period.

Don't argue with me. Just read the references as this is extremely well documented and very well known by all but the youngest kids out there.

- What engine fuel & octane does my BMW need (1) & The Gasoline FAQ & top-tier gas stations (1) & what gasoline to use (1) & how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1) & how to siphon the fuel out of the tank (1) & does spilled gasoline go into the charcoal canister (1) & what is the true cost differential between 87 & 91 octane AKI (1)

HudaBmw 12-28-2012 06:23 AM

ok thanks for the info.

halltristan 12-28-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7273240)
Using the best fuel available is fine.

I've been curious to know if anyone has ever tried racing fuel in an e46 before (110 octane)..... would it run too hot??

PropellerHead 12-28-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebee (Post 7274320)
This is a typical troll question - so - I'll be brief.

If your engine was designed for, say, 91 AKI, and if it's running properly (i.e., timing, exhaust gas recirc, cooling, compression, etc.), and if you're not lugging the engine or towing trailers up steep hills ... then ... it's IMPOSSIBLE to get better anything (i.e., performance, mpg, power, etc.) using a higher octane rated fuel than what the engine was designed for. Period.

Don't argue with me. Just read the references as this is extremely well documented and very well known by all but the youngest kids out there.

Take it easy on the newbies, Bee. You've been a great asset around here for a long time and I know it's difficult to remember what it was like starting out. Try to brush away the cynicism and remember that sometimes a question is just a question.

SJBimmer 12-28-2012 07:29 AM

The one benefit to the higher octane fuel is that it may be ethanol free. If this is the case, I would definitely go with that. Where I live, everything has corn juice, and the highest I can get is 91. I envy the guys that can get pure gas.

E36 Phantom 12-28-2012 07:46 AM

As stated, you'll get no benefit whatsoever unless it happens to be ethanol free. Running 94 is a waste, running race gas is even more pointless. Your car isn't tuned for it and has no idea what to with it to make it beneficial.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp