Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   750i NAVI03 Initialization problem (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666417)

J.Laco 12-27-2012 11:39 AM

750i NAVI03 Initialization problem

Dear BMW fellows,

Since 3 days ago my NAVI03 unit simply stopped working.

When I insert the DVD in the Navigation Unit "light illuminates in the CD" but then the system displays the navigation screen "Initializing ..." and nothing else happens until the past few minutes the screen gives a flash and restart in order to appear again "Initializing".

In the same time radio is reset as well due to the MOST connection of the components.
Everything else is working just fine: radio, CD, CD charger, iDrive, telephone, Logic 7, etc...

I noted that the BMW Assist screen also displays "Initializing" forewer.

What can be the problem ?

I consulted the secret i-drive menu and my version is NAVI03 DVD from 02 07 2007. The software version is:
Navigation:
sotware version: 09.04. hex
Date of manufacture: 2007 02 07
Part number: 6590 9 122860

Some trials to solve the problem:
- I was suspecting the DVD Rom reader and replaced is yesterday. It did not solve the problem.
- I have an original Europe High navigation DVD from my dealer. I also copied / burned another DVD in order to see if the DVD-Rom was the problem. Same "Initializing" screen forewer.
- Also serveral times I reset the MOST fiber optics (from the trunk glove compartment), but didn't help as well.

Can you pls give me any hints: can it be the GPS signal (tribmble box integrated within the Nav unit)? Nav computer? Is there any fuse or relay that can cause this problem (all seams fine).

Your help is appreciated.

John

BSOD 12-28-2012 03:30 PM

I have exactly the same problem, which was probably induced when trying an update.

When you say replaced dvd rom reader, do you mean the whole nav unit or dvd laser?

Would be interested to get an answer to this too.

J.Laco 12-29-2012 01:08 AM

No software update

Hi BSOD,

No, I did not carry out any software updates (firmware). The NAVI03 just simly stopped working and it is stuck in "´nitializing..." forever.

I replaced the DVD-ROM unit suspecting that this was the problem, but did not help.
I didn't want to change the laser only, thus replaced the DVD-ROM unit of the navigation.
This didn't solve the problem.

The DVD is also stucked inside and will not eject. I removed it manually by removing the fron cover carefully and pulling out the DVD disk.

It is interesting to note the follwing:
- The "Initializing ..." message is there even if there is no DVD in the NAVI03 unit !
- This means that I can not even attempt to update the NAVI03 firmware to V32 (latest version)
- The red beam light from the MOST (visible at the plugin entering the NAVI03 unit) is coming to the NAVI03, means there is no break / bridge of the MOST bus (fiber optic loop).

Any hints / help from the experienced users on the forum are appreciated !

J.Laco 01-24-2013 11:42 PM

Solved

Just to document it for the other users. Problem solved:

1. The NAVI03 computer was the problem;
2. Installed a second-hand Unit (found on ebay, similar but not the same S/N);
3. Updated firmware to V.32 (search the form, lots of posts);
4. Burned a double-layer DVD+R with Europe High maps;
5. Works smooth.

See-5 01-25-2013 01:08 AM

This happens to me sometimes and lasts for up to a week.

what do you mean by NAVI03 ?

the screen it self or ? I am confused lol

BSOD 01-25-2013 02:33 AM

Yeah, i'm a bit confused as well.

You said in post 3 that you replaced the DVD-ROM unit (@see-5 which is the Navigation drive in the boot known as a NAVI01(CD version) or NAVI02 or NAVI03 DVD version ) and it didn't work.

Are you saying that the original test replacement was also potentially duff and the new one you got of ebay has sorted it?

Just so happens I bit the bullet and ordered a new laser off ebay last night so hoping that will fix it.

Rick in Yuma 01-25-2013 08:06 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390413934149...84.m1423.l2649

My unit is out. Dealer said 1500.. plus labor.. trying this first. Anyone use these guys before. here is the eBay info if link is gone.

J.Laco 02-04-2013 04:59 AM

Additional info

Guys,

The NAVI03 unit is the complete unit as shown on the picture (post by rick). This Unit has inside a DVD-rom, a computer and also a GPS hardware unit. The NAVI03 unit is connected via fiber optic to the MOST network. If this unit does not work, you may have no screen, radio failures (reset), BMW assist functions will not work, etc.

Previously I replaced the DVD-rom unit only, since I was suspecting that the laser is worn out. You can replace the DVD-rom or the laster only, search for the threads in this forum.

If this does not solve the problem, next is probably a navigation comuter failure (typically due to moisture and condensation).

That is why I ordered a second-hand complete NAVI03 unit on eBay. Thus, not just the DVD-rom, but the complete box. You can find one for 400-500 Euro. This solved the problem. It is important that you know which HW / SW you have and what type of NAVI UNIT you have (1, 2, 3, or 4). If you buy a similar version (second-hand), the software - firmware can be easily upgraded to the latest V32 (you need a special CD with the software).