Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Buy a base model and add keyless entry afterward? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666468)

sqa4life 12-27-2012 03:55 PM

Buy a base model and add keyless entry afterward?

I am wondering if we can add keyless entry and back up cam "after" I bought a base 2013 328i model?

SD Z4MR 12-27-2012 06:46 PM

No.

Zeichen311 12-27-2012 06:53 PM

What Tom said.

BMW no longer over-builds cars with pre-wiring for options not on the factory order. Most retrofits of this sort now require changes to the wiring harness, making them either impossible or frightfully expensive.

sqa4life 12-27-2012 10:35 PM

Thanks

my friend just bought base 328i because she got a really good deal. The base model doesn't have keyless entry and back up cam. So, even the BMW dealer can not add keyless entry?

Orient330iNYC 12-27-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqa4life (Post 7274840)
Thanks

my friend just bought base 328i because she got a really good deal. The base model doesn't have keyless entry and back up cam. So, even the BMW dealer can not add keyless entry?

no. it would probably be cheaper to trade the car in for a new one with those features. and thats taking into account the massive depreciation hit the car takes in the first year
as its been said, the work needed for the retrofit is prohibitively expensive.

Kar Don 12-27-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks

It would require all new door handles, modules, re-key the car... you are talking thousands of dollars (each comfort access key is 300-400 bux alone). The rear cam may be able to retrofit but I think trading in for another car is probably a better way to go cost wise and reliability wise.

SD Z4MR 12-28-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

A "good deal' is relative. If she got a really low price it's because options like Comfort Access were missing but the lowest price isn't necessarily a "good deal". Most people would agree that the "best deal" is when you get everything you want or can afford at the best possible price. It's not such a "good deal" if you don't get what you want. More research on her part would have gotten her the car she really wanted at a price she wanted to pay. Hopefully she keeps this in mind the next time she buys a car.

krash 12-28-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7275359)
A "good deal' is relative. If she got a really low price it's because options like Comfort Access were missing but the lowest price isn't necessarily a "good deal". Most people would agree that the "best deal" is when you get everything you want or can afford at the best possible price. It's not such a "good deal" if you don't get what you want. More research on her part would have gotten her the car she really wanted at a price she wanted to pay. Hopefully she keeps this in mind the next time she buys a car.

Absolutely.

If it doesn't have keyless entry, then that means it doesn't have the premium package either, and if that is missing, then there are likely a lot of other things missing too. Probably a stripped down 328.