Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Engine Warmup (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666560)

gs1397 12-28-2012 10:32 AM

Engine Warmup

Hey Guys,

Just a curious observation. I have a 13 X3 28i with just shy of 5K miles. It is wonderful. I recently noticed that it takes what seems to be a long time for the engine to warm up. I thought maybe this was just my car with the low miles, but last week I had a 12 328 loaner that exhibited the same characteristics. My C300 doesn't take anytime for the engine to warmup.

Just curious if this is normal to this engine.

Thanks
GC

AzNMpower32 12-28-2012 05:02 PM

The temperature is for oil temperature which takes substantially longer for every vehicle. Most vehicles have a coolant temperature gauge; most modern BMWs with the electric water pump (pretty much all N-series engines like the N20) warm up very quickly.

noka 12-28-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs1397 (Post 7275440)
...My C300 doesn't take anytime for the engine to warmup. ...

My C300 is warm in about 5-min of driving. I also keep it on "auto" climate control all the time and it works great in all seasons. I hope the X3 is similar and that I don't miss that.

noka 01-26-2013 05:34 PM

Update: X3 warms up pretty fast also. (Still getting used to no coolant temp gauge but oil temp gauge instead). Only thing is that my MB adjusted the fan speed automatically on "auto" climate control setting, whereas the X3 does not appear to do that and operates at whatever speed you set it to, even in "auto" setting. Note to self: Do some searching and RTFM to see if there are any hints about it :):).

raleedy 01-26-2013 06:38 PM

Not only does the oil have more thermal inertia than the coolant, it lives in a cooler part of the engine -- the block and the sump -- for the most part, and not up where the fires are. Added to that is that the lower limit of the oil temp gauge is at 160 Fahrenheit. That's hot enough to produce third-degree burns, before the needle even moves off the peg. By that time, the coolant has long since reached normal operating temp.

thelegend42 09-15-2013 04:39 PM

Thank you for clarifying the temp gauge, AzNMpower32. I took my 14 X3 35i to the dealer because it takes so long to warm up, unlike the Jeep I drove before or the wife's Acura. Two miles (about 5 min) into my commute and I leave the neighborhood and need to merge onto a 55 zone. I want to use those 300 hp. But it will have barely budged from 140 deg. The owner's manual calls that a cold engine and says to "drive at moderate engine and vehicle speeds."

The dealer, by the way, blew me off, apparently all they do is check the computer diagnostics and if there are no alarms, they assume all is well.

Drewsky 09-15-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noka (Post 7340186)
Only thing is that my MB adjusted the fan speed automatically on "auto" climate control setting, whereas the X3 does not appear to do that and operates at whatever speed you set it to, even in "auto" setting.

No, it does do it. If you set the climate control to "auto" it controls the fan, but you still have a "base" speed you can run it at. On hot days down here in FL, when I first start it up the fan is running quite hard to cool the interior down, but once it has, the fan speed backs off.

Teemo Panda 09-16-2013 09:09 AM

Engine Warmup

Lol, u have a 13 and have 5k. My 13 F25 has 20k on the clock and low temp is very normal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app