Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   slight throbbing in gear knob (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666561)

anton2718 12-28-2012 09:33 AM

slight throbbing in gear knob
 
i have an 01 325i 110k miles, put a new clutch in about 5k miles ago but i dont what this is...might be the transmission? my gear knob started slightly pounding whenever im in first gear, the faster i drive the faster it pounds, all other gears seem to be fine, just a little vibration, any thoughts on what this is? thanks

BigMotherWheels 12-28-2012 12:21 PM

I can't resist......are you sure you had your hand on the shifter and not something else.


Sorry bro I sure hope the tranny is okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

anton2718 12-28-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMotherWheels (Post 7275728)
I can't resist......are you sure you had your hand on the shifter and not something else.


Sorry bro I sure hope the tranny is okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

haha would you look at that, you solved my problem

Fast Bob 12-28-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMotherWheels (Post 7275728)
I can't resist......are you sure you had your hand on the shifter and not something else.


Sorry, I sure hope your bro the tranny is okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

For the dyslexic among us.... :D

vandyboy 12-28-2012 02:25 PM

Did a spit take with my iced tea when I read that thread title.

anton2718 12-28-2012 05:10 PM

ha ha yeah well does anyone know what it is? my shifter vibrate in all gears, ok that sounds just as bad

smolck 12-28-2012 05:36 PM

Did you replace the trans mounts? Is the exhaust properly reattached? Did you replace the rubber bushing the tail of the shifter mount sets in? What about the shifter itself? Is it mounted proper? More info needed.

Could also be bad motor mounts.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

vandyboy 12-28-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 7276365)
Did you replace the trans mounts? Is the exhaust properly reattached? Did you replace the rubber bushing the tail of the shifter mount sets in? What about the shifter itself? Is it mounted proper? More info needed.

Could also be bad motor mounts.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

Could be any or all of the above, which happened to me with my E30. Probably engine or trans mounts. Also, the drive shaft could cause vibration.

anton2718 12-28-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 7276365)
Did you replace the trans mounts? Is the exhaust properly reattached? Did you replace the rubber bushing the tail of the shifter mount sets in? What about the shifter itself? Is it mounted proper? More info needed.

Could also be bad motor mounts.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

i didnt replace anything but the clutch and flywheel, also i broke the little clip that held the shifter to the tranny (its on top of the tranny) but i welded it back together

smolck 12-28-2012 05:46 PM

Are talking about the clip that holds the front of the shift lever arm?
Tell me you replaced the pilot bearing.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

anton2718 12-28-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 7276385)
Are talking about the clip that holds the front of the shift lever arm?
Tell me you replaced the pilot bearing.

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

yep thats the one...and yes i replaced the pilot bearing as well

smolck 12-28-2012 07:50 PM

I'd double check the trans mounts then. And make sure the exhaust hanger isn't hitting anything. That can transmit vibration to the shifter

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

anton2718 12-29-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 7276619)
I'd double check the trans mounts then. And make sure the exhaust hanger isn't hitting anything. That can transmit vibration to the shifter

Sent from my One X using Bimmer App

trans mounts and exhaust hangers are all good and that clip is still holding good too, but the flex disc is pretty torn up

smolck 12-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton2718 (Post 7277415)
trans mounts and exhaust hangers are all good and that clip is still holding good too, but the flex disc is pretty torn up

That's it then. If it is really beat up it will let your driveshaft beat up the carrier bearing too and that is really bad. Replace asap (should have while you were in there, live and learn :D)

anton2718 12-29-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 7277459)
That's it then. If it is really beat up it will let your driveshaft beat up the carrier bearing too and that is really bad. Replace asap (should have while you were in there, live and learn :D)

sweet thanks, i didnt cause i just jacked my car up and looked, didnt take anything off

anton2718 12-29-2012 01:48 PM

and i didnt have the part

anton2718 01-03-2013 04:07 PM

replaced the flex disc and it fixed the problem everything works perfect thanks guys


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms