Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   TPMS Sensor Question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666629)

mr_bean 12-28-2012 03:11 PM

TPMS Sensor Question
 
I installed the snow tires from my E46 today and needless to say the TPMS did not like the fact that the wheels no longer have sensors in them. Can I retrofit new sensors into these old rims or do a need a particular set of rims that are designed to accept TPMS sensors?

ctuna 12-28-2012 04:20 PM

Check tire rack they sell them for 50 each.
 
Check tire rack they sell them for 50 each.
Also are you sure they have them as they didn't start using the kind that go
in wheels on the e90 till model year 07 .
It.s possible if you have the rotational type sensors built into the anti lock brake
system all you need to do it run the recalibration procedure on the tire set installed.
Do you really mean e46 this it the e9x board.

SuperTerp 12-28-2012 05:18 PM

Did you let the car sit overnight and then reset it? I just put new tires on and it wouldn't reset multiple times the day they went on, but the next morning after a few minutes in reset it fixed itself right up.

Zooks527 12-28-2012 05:34 PM

You can fit TPMS sensors in standard wheels. As CTuna says, they're $50 each at TireRack.

Some '07 plus '06 and prior use the ABS sensors for the tire pressure function, and while the system needs to be reset when new wheels are placed on them, they don't need sensors in the wheels themselves,so that's a no-cost fix. Some '07 and all later use active sensors that need to be mounted in the wheels, figure $200 for the sensors and another $100 to install/balance.



Edit: Fixed per kMorgan

mr_bean 12-29-2012 05:45 AM

The car in question is actually an '09 E82. I figured I pose the question here since this forum has about 10 times the traffic.
I know I have sensors in the wheels because I have the funny looking valve stems and resetting the system is futile, it only says "inactive."

Thanks for the info!

kmorgan_260 12-29-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooks527 (Post 7276363)
You can fit TPMS sensors in standard wheels. As CTuna says, they're $50 each at TireRack.

'06 and prior use the ABS sensors for the tire pressure function, and while the system needs to be reset when new wheels are placed on them, they don't need sensors in the wheels themselves,so that's a no-cost fix. '07 and later use active sensors that need to be mounted in the wheels, figure $200 for the sensors and another $100 to install/balance.

My 07 335i still uses the ABS for TPMS so I don't have sensors in the wheels. Still have to reset when changing to snow tires. Not sure why but it usually complains.

OP did you have to use spacers on the front with the e46 Wheels? I have a set of e46 (Style 119) that I have run on my e90 and the fronts looked so close to the strut that I got some spacers. The offest is 34 for my e90 wheels and 47 for the e46 wheels. Both sets are 17x8.

Zooks527 12-29-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 (Post 7277098)
My 07 335i still uses the ABS for TPMS so I don't have sensors in the wheels. Still have to reset when changing to snow tires. Not sure why but it usually complains.

The rolling diameter on the snow tires is likely different from your other tires, even if they're the same size. Differences in tread wear and overall design often make enough of a change to trigger it.

I've fixed my post above for the years in question. The change to active TPMS took place some time in 2007, but it may have been spread across the production line.

The cat on your hood gives me the willies. Back in the day, a neighbor's cat apparently took to sleeping under my Vette's hood for the warmth, until it got its tail caught in the fan one cold morning when I fired it up.

pointandgo 12-29-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bean (Post 7277057)
The car in question is actually an '09 E82. I figured I pose the question here since this forum has about 10 times the traffic.
I know I have sensors in the wheels because I have the funny looking valve stems and resetting the system is futile, it only says "inactive."

Thanks for the info!

Your dash display wouldn't indicate "inactive" unless you had the 'direct' type TPMS, so your snow wheels are 'sans' TPMS. Now an expensive proposition to dismount the tires, install the TPMS, remount and rebalance them! :mad:

Your choices are: do the dismount/install/remount/balance, or go through the Winter with the annoying "inactive" icon showing. The Conti Comfortkit (goo/air compressor kit) would probably be cheaper.

mr_bean 12-30-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 (Post 7277098)
My 07 335i still uses the ABS for TPMS so I don't have sensors in the wheels. Still have to reset when changing to snow tires. Not sure why but it usually complains.

OP did you have to use spacers on the front with the e46 Wheels? I have a set of e46 (Style 119) that I have run on my e90 and the fronts looked so close to the strut that I got some spacers. The offest is 34 for my e90 wheels and 47 for the e46 wheels. Both sets are 17x8.

The E82 uses 47mm offset just like the E46, so this wasn't an issue for me.

Quote:

Your dash display wouldn't indicate "inactive" unless you had the 'direct' type TPMS, so your snow wheels are 'sans' TPMS. Now an expensive proposition to dismount the tires, install the TPMS, remount and rebalance them!
My brother's has a close friend that works in a repair shop. I can likely get the installation done for nothing. Just have to shell out ~$200 for the sensors.

luigi524td 12-30-2012 05:14 AM

Options for TPMS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bean (Post 7278852)
The E82 uses 47mm offset just like the E46, so this wasn't an issue for me.

My brother's has a close friend that works in a repair shop. I can likely get the installation done for nothing. Just have to shell out ~$200 for the sensors.

If you shop a bit (on-line) you might find them for fewer $$s.

Check the BMW forums too. One caution about buying used ones is the batteries are said to have a useful life of 5-10 years and they are NOT replaceable. Most TPMS for the year of your BMW are interchangeable. Check parts #s here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/
They have been made by BEHR for BMW. If they are used you might have to buy a stem kit (about $7) if they were not removed carefully.

CALWATERBOY 12-30-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bean (Post 7277057)
The car in question is actually an '09 E82. I figured I pose the question here since this forum has about 10 times the traffic.
I know I have sensors in the wheels because I have the funny looking valve stems and resetting the system is futile, it only says "inactive."


There is strength in numbers.

True, isn't it? Weighed mightily in my buying decision - chose a 3 over more exotic offers owing to its massive number of tinkerers, quality aftermarket suppliers, and huge DIY knowledge base....

pointandgo 12-30-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi524td (Post 7278858)
If you shop a bit (on-line) you might find them for fewer $$s.

Check the BMW forums too. One caution about buying used ones is the batteries are said to have a useful life of 5-10 years and they are NOT replaceable. Most TPMS for the year of your BMW are interchangeable. Check parts #s here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/
They have been made by BEHR for BMW. If they are used you might have to buy a stem kit (about $7) if they were not removed carefully.

Well, the OTHER ISSUE is that his TPMS must be of a compatible frequency to his car's receiver...there have been changes from BMW, but I don't have the dates of those changes at hand. The Tire Rack would know based on the OP's year/make/model.

I'm still wondering if it's worth it to dismount the tires, install the TPMS, remount the tires, rebalance the tires...BIG BUCKS...perhaps MORE than buying the Conti Comfortkit!!

Zooks527 12-31-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointandgo (Post 7280516)
I'm still wondering if it's worth it to dismount the tires, install the TPMS, remount the tires, rebalance the tires...BIG BUCKS...perhaps MORE than buying the Conti Comfortkit!!

At most, it's the same cost as mounting a new set of tires ($100) plus the sensors ($200). However, the OP has already weighed in that he has a friend who'll do it the work for free, so the only cost is the sensors.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms