Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   need a fast answer - 4 zone rear climate pkg (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666652)

dkreidel 12-28-2012 05:34 PM

need a fast answer - 4 zone rear climate pkg

I'm going to buy an X5M this weekend and have a choice of two cars at 2 dealers. One car doesn't have the Rear Climate Pkg which is the separate temp/fan controls for the rear seats and the rear window lift-up privacy screens.

How big a deal is this? Of course, the dealer who has this PKG in their X5M advises it is almost unheard of to not have this feature :D It isn't the $700 for the Pkg; one car is the color I'd prefer and the other is an acceptable color.

All advice and experiences welcome:thumbup:

weingarm 12-28-2012 05:57 PM

We have a 2012 X5 35 diesel.

The rear sunshades and 4 zone climate control both came as part of the premium pkg in our X5.

Currently, I can tell you our rear seat climate control isn't used... We have a one-year old and a three-year old back there who obviously can't control it from their car seats nor would they know what they were doing if they could. In 5-6 years maybe they'll appreciate it but doubt it.

The rear sunshades do come in handy on sunny days. Our three-year old occasionally says "the sun's in my eyes!" and all I have to do is slide the shades up and wham!, problem solved!

All that being said, if you only care about personal satisfaction, and/or you rarely carry back seat passengers, or don't care about resale -- I say go with the color you like and don't worry about it!

At resale, with all else being equal I can see a future buyer picking the one with rear-seat sunshades and climate control OVER the one without them.

pa50i 12-28-2012 06:04 PM

Young kids use it all the time. Definitely getting it again. Great useful option in warm and cold weather.

GoHawks63 12-28-2012 06:05 PM

We have it. Our boys are older and use it occasionally.

dkreidel 12-28-2012 06:45 PM

Thanks for the quick responses :thumbup: It's a lease so resale is a moot point. No kids; only adults will be in the rear seat. Anyone not have it and regret it?

jashearer 12-28-2012 07:18 PM

If lease and no kids, forget it, having the color you really want is way more important.

I wouldn't be without but I keep the shades up for my two year old.

Jay

AwesomeX5 12-28-2012 07:50 PM

4-zone temp...

Part of the reason I buy and drive a "nice" car is for my passengers. Not to show off to them but to treat them well. I think it says something when you treat the people you deal with (family, friends, clients, coworkers, etc.) well. It says something about you and about your value in them (too much?) Good coffee, a good scotch, nice ride, etc. I have the 4 zone system. My kids (15/21) love/use it. I have had friends in the back who LOVE the heated seats (I'm in Michigan). I don't think anyone has USED the window visors yet but they think it's cool that they could. In Michigan, we like blaring sun in our eyes. It's a rare treat here in the winter.

My .02

gregsX5 12-28-2012 08:22 PM

I don't have it and rarely have passengers, so I don't miss it at all.
Actually, just checked, I do have the rear controls but not the rear heated seats. I never used either of these features, and if anything I'd rather not let passengers change the temp, so next time I'm alone in the car and sweating I don't have to check.

So my opinion is a firm No Need.

Having the right color is more important as you will have to look at it every day. Who are you buying the car for, yourself or your passengers?

dkreidel 12-28-2012 08:40 PM

Yes, I think I'd better get the color I want (Carbon Black). I'll post a pic later this weekend after I pick-up the new ride. This is the first BMW I've not ordered to my spec but the year end deals are so substantial that taking one off the lot is hard to pass up.

Thanks to all!

AutoUnion 12-29-2012 02:05 PM

If you don't have passengers that much, get the color you want. Carbon Black is awesome.

Congrats and welcome!

onebadgix 12-31-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7277859)
If you don't have passengers that much, get the color you want. Carbon Black is awesome.

Congrats and welcome!

Agreed!

gregsX5 01-01-2013 11:53 AM

So did you pick up the car? Post some pix!

Die Wolfe 01-01-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7276724)
Yes, I think I'd better get the color I want (Carbon Black). I'll post a pic later this weekend after I pick-up the new ride. This is the first BMW I've not ordered to my spec but the year end deals are so substantial that taking one off the lot is hard to pass up.

Thanks to all!

That's exactly why I bought mine off the lot; the deals were WAY too good to pass up! Now go with the color you want!

dkreidel 01-01-2013 01:43 PM

I found a Carbon Black X5M with the rear climate pkg :D. I'll get pics up in a day or two.

There are some amazing deals at year end:thumbup:

Die Wolfe 01-01-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7282947)
I found a Carbon Black X5M with the rear climate pkg :D. I'll get pics up in a day or two.

Way to pull the trigger, congrats!

RockChips 01-01-2013 02:25 PM

I almost never use the feature, even when we have rear passengers.

BeamerandBimmer 01-01-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7282947)

But you can't do ED if you don't order it.......:rofl:

dkreidel 01-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer (Post 7283231)
But you can't do ED if you don't order it.......:rofl:

Can't do ED on SC built X5's - but it is interesting to see Germans taking delivery of American built X5's at the Welt :thumbup:

BeamerandBimmer 01-01-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7283246)
Can't do ED on SC built X5's - but it is interesting to see Germans taking delivery of American built X5's at the Welt :thumbup:

Hence the ROTFL smiley. I noticed your sig and the three EDs. I wish I had the time to do that. Last time I was in Germany was in 1990.

Die Wolfe 01-01-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer (Post 7283251)
Hence the ROTFL smiley. I noticed your sig and the three EDs. I wish I had the time to do that. Last time I was in Germany was in 1990.

Don't worry, I got the joke...very funny humor lol

Die Wolfe 01-01-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkreidel (Post 7283246)

That's what sucks about the X series; I wanted to do ED on mine since I didn't know anything about it when I ordered my 535i :(

dkreidel 01-01-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer (Post 7283251)

Sorry, still a bit foggy from last night :D

Actually 15 ED's [12 BMW's] - the next one is July/August for M6 vert with 6MT. I'm "sort of" retired :thumbup:

Ronx5 01-02-2013 07:09 PM

I have an x5 2013 with a premium package. The rear climate control is used daily by my passengers. I live in Montreal canada and without the heated sits in the back it would be too cold to sit. I wouldn't get this car where I live without these options.