Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Brake Problems with 2004 X5 4.4i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666678)

srtudas 12-28-2012 08:25 PM

Brake Problems with 2004 X5 4.4i

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and I have just run into a huge problem with my 2004 X5 4.4I. The problem is with the brakes. When we took it in to get it fixed they said that there was something wrong with the master cylinder that controls the brakes. I don't really know what this is but apparently it is not working properly. We already checked the brake fluid in the reservoir and it was the right amount. Once they fixed that problem the shop noticed another bigger problem with the brakes that is going to cost up to $5,000. This car is giving me a heart attack! This car is amazing how many things can go wrong at the same time. And we just repaired the control arms for the rear and front wheels which was about $5,200 for both the front and back. WE JUST FIXED THE CONTROL ARMS A WEEK AGO!!!!! The car has 115,000 miles on it. I can't even think about what will go wrong in a month from now. I am thinking about replacing it with a new car. Maybe a CPO ML350 or a X5 3.0i. Maybe even a new GMC Yukon Denali. Don't really know what to do. We are already fixing the car today until Wednesday. Should we sell it, or keep it until 200,000?

sunny5280 12-28-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srtudas (Post 7276686)
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and I have just run into a huge problem with my 2004 X5 4.4I. The problem is with the brakes. When we took it in to get it fixed they said that there was something wrong with the master cylinder that controls the brakes. I don't really know what this is but apparently it is not working properly. We already checked the brake fluid in the reservoir and it was the right amount. Once they fixed that problem the shop noticed another bigger problem with the brakes that is going to cost up to $5,000. This car is giving me a heart attack! This car is amazing how many things can go wrong at the same time. And we just repaired the control arms for the rear and front wheels which was about $5,200 for both the front and back. WE JUST FIXED THE CONTROL ARMS A WEEK AGO!!!!! The car has 115,000 miles on it. I can't even think about what will go wrong in a month from now. I am thinking about replacing it with a new car. Maybe a CPO ML350 or a X5 3.0i. Maybe even a new GMC Yukon Denali. Don't really know what to do. We are already fixing the car today until Wednesday. Should we sell it, or keep it until 200,000?

$5,000 for brake work? About the only thing I can think of that might be that expensive is the ABS module. Even then I would think $5,000 is way too much for something like that. Is the $5,000 to replace the master cylinder?

Silverlight95 12-28-2012 11:45 PM

becareful....the dealership can easily be considered a stealership.

You may want to consider bringing your car to a bmw indy to have a look at it. I am sure one would be able fix the issue at hand at a much lesser cost. But like stated above...I don't know what type of brake issue could cost $5000.

Graham132white 12-29-2012 02:02 AM

Your thinking about swapping a 4.4 for a 3.0 X5????????

.....same brakes, same control arms, same chassis, same car?!!!!! :dunno:

I don't know where your going for your repairs but control arms are only 100 dollars each, 15 min job to change!

srtudas 12-29-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny5280 (Post 7276905)
$5,000 for brake work? About the only thing I can think of that might be that expensive is the ABS module. Even then I would think $5,000 is way too much for something like that. Is the $5,000 to replace the master cylinder?

I think that the $5,000 is for both the master cylinder and the other problem. My brother said that it seems like the ABS is not functioning correctly like you said and that may be the other large problem.

upallnight 12-29-2012 04:09 PM

If you're not fixing the car yourself and the car is not a CPO car better to trade it in and either get a new car with a warranty or a used car that has a warranty. There's a ton of maintenance work on the V8 that will cost you and arm and a leg. Google timing guides for the BMW M62 engine.

srtudas 12-29-2012 04:58 PM

Well today we want to test drive the new GLK350 and ML350. We were thinking about leasing one of those cars. We compared the ML350 to the X5 3.5i both 2013 models and the X5 was much more expensive and did not get gas mileage as good as the Mercedes. We are thinking right now and we will be testing the GLK and ML and bringing them both home for one night to test them out in everyday life. If we lease we are personally selling our X5. We are fixing the X5 then immediately selling it before we strike any other problems. My mom said she will never buy another used BMW or any other used cars. She hates paying for the maintenance so we will be leasing. Loved the X5 but it was a money pit.

upallnight 12-30-2012 05:50 AM

Good Luck with the Mercedes.

They can also be a money like any cars, especially "Luxury" cars if you don't do your own maintenance. But with a new car, most items are under warranty for as long as you have the lease. Make sure brakes are included with the maintenance because they are pricey for a Mercedes.

I on the other hand don't buy new cars because I don't want to make payments every month and the high insurance associated with a new car.

My parents taught me to live within my means. If only my wife and kids would learn this lesson. LOL