Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   shaking front steering wheel (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666933)

Orim 12-30-2012 08:32 AM

shaking front steering wheel

hello,
when i drive sometimes i feel shaking vibration around 50-60mph
i was wondering what it could be i found i should do first road force balance but when i am breaking suddenly there is vibration too so i assume is a rotors
what should i do 1st? replace rotors then road force balance?
thank you

kgorczyn 12-30-2012 08:45 AM

How many miles? My money is on the front control arms, if they haven't been replaced already.

Orim 12-30-2012 10:03 AM

I have 127xxx miles but I dk how many is on them ???

theWalkinator 12-30-2012 11:08 AM

Maybe just need to do a wheel balance.

bluebee 12-30-2012 06:36 PM

Diagnostic tree ...

- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).

FLE39 12-30-2012 06:41 PM

A-Rotors

B-Front control arm bushings

C-All of the above

flyboyy 12-31-2012 09:03 AM

Here is how I would check my car.. if I had steering wheel shaking.

1st thing I would check is.. tire pressure make sure they are good with specs..
since thats free :)

next check your tires.. make sure they are good.. are they balanced ? make sure you check entire tire.. when I say that I mean also the sidewalls towards the engine side.. not just the outter..

next would be your brakes and rotors.. if your rotors are not even or smooth.. when you step on the brake you willl get a shaky steering wheel... which happened in my case..

because I did not replace rotors when replacing brakes the first time.. so second time around I replaced both rotors and brakes and steering vibration was gone... I usually get shaky steering when I step on the brake and higher speeds.

check that.. next would be your control arms ? and other suspension issues.. but I think if you checked the above you should be good to go.

Orim 01-01-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebee (Post 7280163)
Diagnostic tree ...

- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).

driver shaft is that center driver shaft because i can hear from there like knocking sound,,

Orim 01-01-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboyy (Post 7281106)
Here is how I would check my car.. if I had steering wheel shaking.

1st thing I would check is.. tire pressure make sure they are good with specs..
since thats free :)

next check your tires.. make sure they are good.. are they balanced ? make sure you check entire tire.. when I say that I mean also the sidewalls towards the engine side.. not just the outter..

next would be your brakes and rotors.. if your rotors are not even or smooth.. when you step on the brake you willl get a shaky steering wheel... which happened in my case..

because I did not replace rotors when replacing brakes the first time.. so second time around I replaced both rotors and brakes and steering vibration was gone... I usually get shaky steering when I step on the brake and higher speeds.

check that.. next would be your control arms ? and other suspension issues.. but I think if you checked the above you should be good to go.

oh ok i will check it

FLE39 01-01-2013 07:01 PM

I have shakes too, at any speed. higher speed more shake. I need rotors...

Orim 01-01-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLE39 (Post 7283541)
I have shakes too, at any speed. higher speed more shake. I need rotors...

When it start shaking on 60 I have to speed up so it won't shake ;)

flyboyy 01-02-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orim (Post 7283549)
When it start shaking on 60 I have to speed up so it won't shake ;)

judging from what you are saying.. I will have to say its your rotors.. its not smooth and even so you getting the vibration as in my case...

same case with me.. when I speed up shaking is gone.. but still once I apply brakes I get alot of vibration and shaking from steering wheel.. after I changed rotors and brakes... shaking is gone... I even changed my tires since I had not changed them in like 5 years lol..

my car runs smooth now.

uncmozo 01-02-2013 10:51 AM

I had shaking in my front end, with the steering wheel vibrating above 40 MPH. I hunted the problem down for a month, finally noticed the front right wheel was running hot. If you felt the center of the wheel after driving a while, compared to the other side, it was hot. I did notice after a while that if I stepped on the brake while going backwards, the problem would go away.

Traced it to a bad brake caliper. It seems the piston was shifting inside the caliper, and would not release after the brakes were applied, causing the vibration in the wheel. When I stepped on the brake going backwards, the brake piston would re-position itself, and the brakes would release. Changed out the caliper, problem solved. But a tough one to figure out!

FLE39 01-02-2013 11:24 AM

^ that's a good one. thanks for letting us know. Nice signature pic of your interior!

Orim 01-19-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncmozo (Post 7284650)
I had shaking in my front end, with the steering wheel vibrating above 40 MPH. I hunted the problem down for a month, finally noticed the front right wheel was running hot. If you felt the center of the wheel after driving a while, compared to the other side, it was hot. I did notice after a while that if I stepped on the brake while going backwards, the problem would go away.

Traced it to a bad brake caliper. It seems the piston was shifting inside the caliper, and would not release after the brakes were applied, causing the vibration in the wheel. When I stepped on the brake going backwards, the brake piston would re-position itself, and the brakes would release. Changed out the caliper, problem solved. But a tough one to figure out!

i had exactly same like you!!!