Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   E93 Rain Drains (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667005)

MP3_E46 12-30-2012 02:17 PM

E93 Rain Drains

4 Attachment(s)
Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.

fun2drive 12-30-2012 03:41 PM

Good job.
I have not had need to clean my drains car is always garaged but might do so now just to see what comes out.
I never knew what a trombone cleaner looks like but now I do...

Nordic_Kat 12-30-2012 03:50 PM

MP3,

Excellent information here. I've squirted water from a syringe down the rain drains a couple of times, just to make sure they were properly draining. Looks like your top seals are definitely in need of some extra TLC, but you are well on your way to getting them rejuvenated.

If you don't mind, please post a reference to this thread up in the origami top sticky. That way in the future this information will be easily accessible if someone is perusing the sticky.

Thanks!

anE934fun 12-30-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7279692)
Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.

That is an interesting idea. I was wondering how to apply Gummi upside down. Out of curiosity, what width paint brush are you using? If I understand your technique, you are basically 'painting' the seal with Gummi, using the paint brush?

MP3_E46 12-30-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anE934fun (Post 7280113)
That is an interesting idea. I was wondering how to apply Gummi upside down. Out of curiosity, what width paint brush are you using? If I understand your technique, you are basically 'painting' the seal with Gummi, using the paint brush?

Painted it on then rubbed with fingers to ensure it reached everywhere - hope it's ok on skin :eek:

Have never gone to this extreme before but I would like to get this car sorted out. Could easily swap it out for a new G37 or IS convertible but I hugely prefer the E93.

The brush I used was very small (one you'd use to paint a water color background with). Next time at the Home Depot I'll pick up a suitable 1/4" brush which should work faster even if it splashes more. Be sure to cover seats with towels, I draped towels under the seals but the rear seats ended up with a few splodges. Lexol a couple of hours later appears to have removed the marks Gummi Pledge made on the black leather. Also I need something to keep the Gummi Pledge in now as it the original container does not work well once the foam applicator is removed. Never like that applicator and from now on will use with a paint brush.

Submariner 04-25-2013 03:28 AM

FYI

Trombone cleaner : Amazon link

CALWATERBOY 04-25-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3_E46 (Post 7279692)

Thanks for this MP3_E46.

I recall at least one thread about the channel, but not in this detail or with this resolution. Had something to do with filling the channel with silicone to resolve foldin' top leakage - firmer seal. Flexy silicone rod....??

Good juju, text of cleaning & trombone brush - what I don't recall is any good way to clean it. Before this.

MP3_E46 04-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7542669)
Thanks for this MP3_E46.

I recall at least one thread about the channel, but not in this detail or with this resolution. Had something to do with filling the channel with silicone to resolve foldin' top leakage - firmer seal. Flexy silicone rod....??

Good juju, text of cleaning & trombone brush - what I don't recall is any good way to clean it. Before this.

Thanks Cal. We've had no leaks at all since cleaning out the drains. In fact the car has been problem free for over three months now :D